Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

spider marks

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-09 | 10:29 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Default spider marks

how can i get my paint perfect with no spider marks or any hollowgrams? i see slight spider marks car is fairly new . thanks
Old 01-11-09 | 10:45 AM
C-man jr
Pole Position

Get a Zaino treatment on your car, whether you do it yourself or get someone to do it. There are a couple of topics in this area that will help you with Zaino, for example "product recommendations" or "zaino pics" which will give you hints on how to use it and what to use. A decent surface treatment will make all those spider marks disappear.
Old 01-11-09 | 03:42 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DFLORES
how can i get my paint perfect with no spider marks or any hollowgrams? i see slight spider marks car is fairly new . thanks
You'll need to grab a buffer and some compounds/polishes. Start out w/ the orange 5.5" pad and either the poorboys ssr2.5 or optimum compound, then to refine the finish, go w/ the white 5.5" pad and ssr1 or optimum polish. Finish it off w/ a wax or sealant and you're good to go I've been asked this same question you posed and I always point people in this direction and everyone has been very happy w/ the results each and every time. You'll have hte products to maintain your vehicle for a long time

Poorboys kit:
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/poudmpawfrit.html

optimum kit:
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/opuldemapa.html
Old 01-14-09 | 10:45 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

they are only two bucks apart? i dont understand! what type of faom pad should i use first then with what compound? they how do i seal it?
Old 01-14-09 | 12:24 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Correct, they're very close in price. This is just how it works out w/ the products included, thats all. You would use the orange pad thats included w/ the kit for the compound (on speed 5-6) and the white pad thats included w/ the polish (speed 4-5)
Old 01-14-09 | 05:34 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going to have to get all the swirls removed this spring - I have no choice but to use the auto-washed to remove all the salt.
Old 01-14-09 | 05:46 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Be cautioned that polishing does remove a fine layer of clearcoat, and overdoing it will decrease the paint's lifespan over time. ALWAYS try the least abrasive method first! an Orange pad with the medium abrasive SSR 2.5 for just mild spider swirls on a new car is way overkill. Many imperfections like that can be removed with a white pad and fine polish.

http://autogeek.net/detailingtips.html is a great resource that I used to educate me on restoring the paint on my old 2000 Camry. Read up on basic ways to maintain paint, proper car washing technique, etc.
Old 01-14-09 | 05:48 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

http://articles.autopia.org/articles...s-paint-1.html
Here is an additional good read.
Polishing is NOT a cure-all.
Old 01-15-09 | 07:23 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=ELL Y;4163508]Be cautioned that polishing does remove a fine layer of clearcoat, and overdoing it will decrease the paint's lifespan over time. ALWAYS try the least abrasive method first! an Orange pad with the medium abrasive SSR 2.5 for just mild spider swirls on a new car is way overkill. Many imperfections like that can be removed with a white pad and fine polish.
QUOTE]

The only vehicle I've been able to remove any noticeable amount of defects from using only a white pad and polish was on a subaru. Unfortunately, most paint surfaces are not that soft and a minimum of an orange pad is required for any type of correction. Using a glaze to help cover up imperfections, or using a polish w/ some fillers is another way to make those swirls less noticeable.
Old 01-15-09 | 10:09 AM
Shank2117
Pole Position

Optimum is the polish i use to take off my swirl marks. but i only use the optimum polish with an orange pad maybe once every 6 months. every month or two i use a polish with fillers, i like one that Autogeek sells called "360 all in one". Its not as abbrasive as the optimum or poor boy polishes, it pretty much just fills in and "hides" the swirl marks. after the 360 i top it off with a sealant or wax. this will only last about a month or two before i have to do it all over agian.
Old 01-16-09 | 11:25 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Meguiar's Dual Action Polisher G110

2 Soft Buff 2.0 Yellow Polishing Pads
1 Soft Buff 2.0 Finishing Pad

Meguiar's M105 Polish

Meguiar's M205 Finishing Polish

Meguiar's NXT 2.0 Tech Wax