Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best method of Buffing out marks on Paint.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-09, 12:09 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best method of Buffing out marks on Paint.

I have a scrape on the bottom of the fender, behind the rear wheel. Not sure how it got there. But it looks like it left Black Paint on top of my Silver Paint. There is a Line about 1/4 inch wide and about 18 inches long. This is on the Bottom Plastic Panel. It looks like it is one piece that wraps the entire rear of the car. So it would probably cost $$$$$ to replace.

I think, I can remove most all of scrape by rubbing it out with a good compound. So I am asking your suggestions on what product and method to try and remove this.
Old 01-11-09, 02:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

you sure it's a scrape not road tar? have you tried to use clay bar and see if it "comes off"? and if it's marks, make sure it's not scratch deep enough to see the plastic (bumper) and instead paint transfer?
Old 01-11-09, 02:53 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
you sure it's a scrape not road tar? have you tried to use clay bar and see if it "comes off"? and if it's marks, make sure it's not scratch deep enough to see the plastic (bumper) and instead paint transfer?
Yup, It's a scrape, because part of it you can see the white plastic, but it trails off into the black paint. The scrape is very deep to start with and removes all of my Silver Paint.

It's starts out with a scrape that removes all of the Silver paint, About 1 inch and then leaves a black paint mark for about 18 inches.

What is clay bar?
Old 01-11-09, 04:56 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A good product to use to clean that up is Scratch-X made by Meguiar's. It comes in a black tube and it is a cross between a polish and polishing compound. It is very easy and forgiving to use. Just rub the scratch or paint that is on your paint and it will come as clean as your going to get it without refinishing the area. Can be found at most Auto Parts stores. Works real Good!
Old 01-11-09, 05:45 PM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Yup, It's a scrape, because part of it you can see the white plastic, but it trails off into the black paint. The scrape is very deep to start with and removes all of my Silver Paint.

It's starts out with a scrape that removes all of the Silver paint, About 1 inch and then leaves a black paint mark for about 18 inches.

What is clay bar?
If its that "deep", then there is nothing you can do except to have a shop do it. Scratch X will only cure minor scratches & marks. It would help if you had pictures so we can give you better advice.

As for the clay bar, it is used to remove paint contaminants. Like its name, its a piece of soft clay almost like playdough.
Old 01-11-09, 05:47 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by maying856
If its that "deep", then there is nothing you can do except to have a shop do it. Scratch X will only cure minor scratches & marks. It would help if you had pictures so we can give you better advice.
Well, if you read my post, 1 inch of it is "that Deep" the other 17 inches is a paint mark. If I can get rid of 17 inches of the mark, it will be a lot better than it is now.
Old 01-11-09, 10:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

for starter i'd recommend the scratch x as well and see how much you can remove. since it's at the bottom, if you are not super picky, some swirl marks won't be noticeable. try that product and see if you can remove the "black" marks?
Old 01-12-09, 04:15 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by farkas
A good product to use to clean that up is Scratch-X made by Meguiar's. It comes in a black tube and it is a cross between a polish and polishing compound. It is very easy and forgiving to use. Just rub the scratch or paint that is on your paint and it will come as clean as your going to get it without refinishing the area. Can be found at most Auto Parts stores. Works real Good!
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll pick some up in the next few days.
Old 01-12-09, 04:43 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Well, I've got good news and bad news on my scrape that I needed buffing out.

The good news is that the scrape will be probably be completely removed and be unnoticeable. The bad news; is that is because I will take it to a body shop to fix the front bumper that I just had a fender bender in the snowstorm today.

Be glad, that you don't live in this frozen tundra in Dec, Jan and Feb.
Old 01-12-09, 06:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh i am sorry to hear that i hope you and other passengers are ok

but at least good that the rear bumper doesn't seem to be a problem
Old 01-13-09, 06:18 AM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am always sorry to hear about fender benders! Good that you didn't get hurt and the car will be repaired so this will all be forgotten!
Old 01-13-09, 04:13 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Yup, Nobody got hurt. Top speed of the 'crash' was about 2 mph. Slid into him with icy streets and waited for the 'awful crunch'

Because it was icy, when I hit the guy with my front bumper, it pushed him across the ice and did not do much damage to my car. Only some scratches on the plastic front bumper and black paint. Can a Body shop buff out these scratches and re-paint it. Or do they want to replace the entire front bumper?

There is no dent or cracks in the bumper at all, mostly just scuffs and some scratches that are about 1/64ths of an inch thick.

I wonder what the damage costs will be? With $1,000 deductible on collision on this car, I pay out of pocket for sure.