Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Porter Cable Split in 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 01:41 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porter Cable Split in 2

Careful people. That shaft that holds the counterweight parts to the main part of the machine can become flimsy over time or it could also have stress fractures in it. Although it could be due to the fact that I placed over 120 hours on it in the last 6 months alone

This happened while working on a red 08 Volvo C30 last Saturday. It was on a clients vehicle too, not one of my own . I pretty much finished 1/2 the car with a friend then it decided to explode on me while I spurred the pad . Finishing the remaining 1/2 with M105 by hand was a *****!

From what I could tell by posting this on various detailing forums, I am the only one it has happen to. My machine is under 1 year old (currently has 11 days left on the 1 Year Warranty too lol) and there are plenty of older ones out there. Just shows you that nothing is always perfect all the time

I'll be upgrading to the Makita 9227c pretty soon now because of this. That will make it so I have both the PC and Makita in my arsenal
Old 01-13-09, 02:04 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats crazy! Never seen or heard of that happening before! Glad its under warranty!!!
Old 01-13-09, 02:53 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

time to get a new one! hahaha...if u wanna stick with a DA, my G110 is available for sale...
Old 01-13-09, 03:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Warranty is awesome! Sucks that it happened though. At least you didn't severely damaged the paint.
Old 01-13-09, 10:06 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

this almost happened to me today, u see the three screws on the counterweight? all 3 were actually loose and the whole thing was shaking around while i was buffing...G220 too...scary.

hey Issac, where did u get 105? ADS is out of stock for the 32oz .

Last edited by LiCelsior; 01-13-09 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-13-09, 11:38 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
thats crazy! Never seen or heard of that happening before! Glad its under warranty!!!
Most definitely. Had my friend search for a while on this subject (he was bored lol) and he found absolutely no one mirroring my explosion. Very odd. I'm shooting Porter Cable an email soon asking if there were any other cases just to see if I'm the only isolated incident too so I'll update with their reply when I get it
Originally Posted by radicalrev
time to get a new one! hahaha...if u wanna stick with a DA, my G110 is available for sale...
Lol, thanks Eric but I'm going to the repair depot sometime this week to get this sorted out. Thanks to this event my comparo is currently halted, as well as the JB e46 BMW (again! ) and a Z06 that asked me to do their cars

Why for the sale though? Tough times man? ?
Originally Posted by GSteg
Warranty is awesome! Sucks that it happened though. At least you didn't severely damaged the paint.
Definitely. Hoping everything goes without a hitch when I bring it in. I'm going to try to get him to replace the whole bottom part since its all scratched up from the drop. I can put it on a plaque next to my first melted backing plate
Originally Posted by LiCelsior
this almost happened to me today, u see the three screws on the counterweight? all 3 were actually loose and the whole thing was shaking around while i was buffing...G220 too...scary.

hey Issac, where did u get 105? ADS is out of stock for the 32oz .
Seriously? Dang, that is good to know . Guess anyone and everyone should check on those from time to time. I'll keep that in mind when it comes back. Thanks man!

As for the M105, I have a Super Autobacs (asian pepboys IMO) by me and they stock it from time to time. I've just been raving about it so much that everyone went and bought all of it lol. Do you need some? I'm sure I can spare some of my bottle if you need it. Let me know
Old 01-13-09, 11:44 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Seriously? Dang, that is good to know . Guess anyone and everyone should check on those from time to time. I'll keep that in mind when it comes back. Thanks man!

As for the M105, I have a Super Autobacs (asian pepboys IMO) by me and they stock it from time to time. I've just been raving about it so much that everyone went and bought all of it lol. Do you need some? I'm sure I can spare some of my bottle if you need it. Let me know
yea, didnt u have problem with ur PC before? think it was ur backing plate or something...man signs are pointing that u need a rotary lol.

nah its ok, i appreciate it though. i just wanted to get a bottle to try it out in the spring when it warm out lol. lucky Californians
Old 01-13-09, 11:46 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

nah, i just don't have the time to do it anymore...been so busy with school...and i am selling the car as well...time to move on...
Old 01-14-09, 12:11 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
yea, didnt u have problem with ur PC before? think it was ur backing plate or something...man signs are pointing that u need a rotary lol.

nah its ok, i appreciate it though. i just wanted to get a bottle to try it out in the spring when it warm out lol. lucky Californians
Currently looking at the Makita 9227c on Amazon right now. Phil @ DD and Autogeek are not bargain hunters this time

Hehe, alright. Just telling you that its some great stuff! It made for a great 1-step along with my friends Flex/SIP combo lol. Just wish I didn't have to apply so much "passion" to the pad thats all
nah, i just don't have the time to do it anymore...been so busy with school...and i am selling the car as well...time to move on...
Aww, its all good, I only detail on my days off and on breaks. You should pick it up again once you are all settled down again. Might be a great stress reliever as it is for me
Old 01-14-09, 06:16 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be upgrading to the Makita 9227c pretty soon now because of this. That will make it so I have both the PC and Makita in my arsenal

Those are the exact same tools I've had in my garage for many years now. You'll love the Makita 9227C.
Old 01-14-09, 08:18 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

nooooo say it aint so. What are you moving on to? IS-F?
Old 01-14-09, 08:47 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Currently looking at the Makita 9227c on Amazon right now.
You might want to check out coastal tool for the Makita:
http://www.coastaltool.com/a/makita/9227c.htm
Old 01-14-09, 02:36 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Guitarman
Those are the exact same tools I've had in my garage for many years now. You'll love the Makita 9227C.
Sweet. I was almost wary of that huge handle since I'm used to the Flex and PC but now I don't think that'll be a problem
Originally Posted by GSteg
nooooo say it aint so. What are you moving on to? IS-F?
THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!

(we can dream Henry lol)
Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
You might want to check out coastal tool for the Makita:
http://www.coastaltool.com/a/makita/9227c.htm
Cool, thanks for the link Chris! Now for price comparison/shopping
Old 01-14-09, 05:04 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

what pad and speed do u usually use wit the 105? im using 83 on orange pad and its not gettin the deep scratches out.
Old 01-14-09, 05:32 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, this could have ended up really damaging the paint, lucky your still in within the warranty.

Quick Reply: Porter Cable Split in 2