Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

SwirlX

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 04:33 PM
zzang
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SwirlX

Have anyone used this product? It's from Meguiar's. I think they barely released it but I am just wondering if it works or not. Thanks. I searched it but it doesn't seem like anyone asked this before unless I searched wrong? Lol.
Old 01-13-09, 07:24 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen it on my local Kragen's shelf, but have never used it before.
Old 01-13-09, 08:53 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might want to head over to Meguiarsonline.com They should have more info on it
Old 01-14-09, 07:41 PM
zzang
Pole Position

Yeah. I went there but I am just seeing if the products really work. I mean there are millions of products claiming things but never know if they work unless you try it. So I am just wondering if anyone tried it out yet.
Old 01-14-09, 11:17 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, I would get it and review it for everyone here, but I just spent over $300 on stuff I actually needed
Old 01-14-09, 11:22 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zzang
Yeah. I went there but I am just seeing if the products really work. I mean there are millions of products claiming things but never know if they work unless you try it. So I am just wondering if anyone tried it out yet.
Meguiarsonline.com has a forum where ppl can post their opinions of products. There are quite a few posts there from those who have used SwirlX.
Old 01-16-09, 11:27 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes it is an amazing product.

For most of the people on here it would work wonders.

It is a very aggressive/abrasive compound to apply by hand. Saves you money from buying a DA Polisher/Buffer and additional pads.

Strongly Recommend everyone to buy SwirlX and Scratch X 2.0
Old 01-23-09, 03:27 AM
SC34M3
Advanced

dont know about SwilX but i bought scratch x 2.0 cause the didnt have the spray one (never used it) seems like its wax to me...wasn't satisfied.
Old 01-23-09, 11:37 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

^^Put some "passion" behind the pad. The product works, just needs a lot of "passion" thats all

Eww, my gold emblems.....
Old 01-23-09, 11:54 AM
zzang
Pole Position

That looks like some positive results. I have it but I didn't have the time to try it out. When it first came out, it was sold out. Now gotta try it out on the whole car after it stops raining here
Old 01-23-09, 01:54 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I just got my hands on Meguiar's #105 (Ultra Cut Compound) and #205 (Ultra Finishing Polish). I've had an opportunity to evaluate the pair and so far so good. They work really fast and leave a very jeweled finish with little effort. I find the #205 is all I needed to remove most swirls. Surprisingly fast results.

I'll try to post some photos shortly.

I've not looked for their consumer polishes but if I did I'd get the Ultimate Compound, ScratchX 2.0 and SwirlX. The Ultimate Compound has a very high cutting ability.

In order of aggressiveness (Meguiar's rating):

#105 Ultra Cut Compound (12)
Ultimate Compound (12)
ScratchX 2.0 (?)
SwirlX (?)
#83 DACP (6) [my old favorite cutting polish]
#205 Ultra Finishing Polish (4)
#80 Speed Glaze (4) [my old favorite finishing polish]
#82 Swirl Free Polish (3)

Based on my preliminary testing I may have a new pair of favorite polishes. I'm stunned at how fast these new polishes work and how well they finish up.
Old 01-24-09, 10:46 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i just found lots of scratches on my rear bumper...dont know how they got there. they arent swirls, but they have the kind of scratches like swirls.

im hesitant to try these products because on a black car, you can really scratch the paint if your aggressive with it.

so can anyone recommend something simple, that is applied like a wax where you just rub it in? like a one product and finished for those of us who arent car savvy to have like 10 different products?
Old 02-01-09, 01:45 PM
BoingR6
Driver School Candidate

Default Meguiars Scratch X- Review

Originally Posted by RXSF
i just found lots of scratches on my rear bumper...dont know how they got there. they arent swirls, but they have the kind of scratches like swirls.

im hesitant to try these products because on a black car, you can really scratch the paint if your aggressive with it.

so can anyone recommend something simple, that is applied like a wax where you just rub it in? like a one product and finished for those of us who arent car savvy to have like 10 different products?

Just finished up a few areas on the car with minor scratches.
Unfortunately I don't have an actual house garage, just the apartment garage, so lighting was very poor for picture quality.

Bought the Scratch X after reading a few posts on here. And here's some results.
- Passenger side door, nickel size surface rubbing from what looks like my garage neighbors door. Rubbing was not deep enough to feel anything on the surface, but left a white mark. After (2) runs at it with a MF applicator pad, and finishing it off with a MF towel, it came out spotless and perfect. In this instance, I gave this a 10.
- Above the passenger side tire well, 5 inch scratch. First inch by running the finger across you can feel and see the clearcoat was damaged, the remaining few inches was just a very light scratch. The entire area is very visible if standing and looking at the car. This area took 4 applications using the above method of applying Scratch X with applicator pad, and finishing off with MF towel. Broke a sweat, and arms sore but the area is now not visible unless I told you about it, and you really looked. The scratch is still there for the first inch, and the remaining really take a good look at for you to see. I have this a 8. I will visit this area later with some heavy artillery.
- Passenger rear quarter panel, scratch that is lighter than the area mentioned above. Same method, applied 3 times. Perfect outcome, but again visible if you tried really hard. I gave this a 9.
- Miscellaneous spotty areas, which weren't bigger than a penny size, light surface abrasion or rubbing ALL came out immaculate, like new. 10 out of 10.

Conclusion is depending on the extent of your scratch, rub, or what have you, this product works really well. I picked it up from Autozone, and for a few bucks, it got out some of the areas that just really bothered me. Since I have OCD, it really got into me. Although its not "perfect", I feel a bit better now. If your budget allows, and you have about 1-1/2 hour to spare, and some strength, I recommend tackling it.

Thanks