Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scratch on my car :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 10:52 PM
Plit
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch on my car :(

Hey all, I just recently noticed this scratch on my car and wonder if anyone has suggestions. Dunno how it happened but I noticed hand prints on my windshield so definitely think someone did something to it. It's on the upper section of the hood and I can only catch my nail on the upper line. The other line going vertical just seems smeared but has no depth.

I've tried using Scratch X and some polish and was able to clean it up a little but it's still annoying to me. Should a pro detailer be able to get it out? It just bugs the crap out of me knowing it's there on a 3 1/2 month old car

Old 01-13-09, 11:25 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Put pressure while applying ScratchX do several times until desired result. On colored cars I believe ScratchX works fine, but on black cars nothing but buffers and polishes.

If you can't get it fixed nothing to worry about this type of scratch can be taken off in a matter of minutes, contact a CL detailer, or a friend, there are some detailers here in CL but we can only offer tips on how to resolve your issue.

Last edited by XhyDra; 01-13-09 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-13-09, 11:32 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line looks like a minor scuff on the clearcoat. Find ScratchX 2.0 or Meguiars Ultimate Compound and give that a twirl. It may or will require plenty of applications and "passion" (to quote Mike Phillips). I believe those are the strongest grade you can buy OTC for consumers at the moment. Could be wrong though...

The top line, however, might need to be wetsanded lightly and then polished out. Although that may not delete the scratch all the way, it will round out the scratches and make it less noticeable to the eye. I would advise that a pro do this as it can go horribly wrong sometimes

That is my diagnostic for now with the current pics and the descriptions you told me through PM and posted here. Good luck and stick with it. Like XhyDra stated, there are many of detailers here to help out in SoCal.

Last edited by eyezack87; 01-13-09 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-13-09, 11:56 PM
Plit
Pole Position

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Will Scratch X 2.0 work that much better than 1.0? I might give the compound a try if results remain the same.
Old 01-14-09, 12:09 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ScratchX 2.0 is reforumated to make it stronger and able to be used on a DA polisher so I believe it will work best on your case

Just don't forget that you will probably need to do more than one application thats all
Old 01-15-09, 08:52 PM
pBOMB
Driver School Candidate

after i had my car for 2 weeks i found a scratch so i took it in and asked the lexus guys to buff it out and they did... you should try it.. or ask your gf to take it for you haha. no but really those scratches should come right out. it sucks even more having a black car! i notice EVERYTHING but i just learned to deal with it... kinda