Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

:( I think I got ripped off

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 08:47 AM
meowmix52
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry :( I think I got ripped off

So I got some side scratches on my old Honda Accord to the point where you can feel the scratches go kinda deep into the right front door.
Anyways they said they would rebuff and paint the whole entire Accord for $1500. So that's a really great price. Now when I go back and get it, the door is fixed but the car was not repainted. There are still scratches in the back. Furthermore, the FRONT CAR COVER was SCRATCHED (not by me, but them probably). Now there are unsightly white lines on the front. So not only am I paying for only a minor repaint on the side, but I am paying for MORE scratches. What should I do? This is a chinese repair shop, and they are so greedy. I knew I should have went to an certified shop and spent the extra $.
Old 01-19-09, 10:58 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not all Chinese are like that . Should have done your reasearch first

If those side scratches were somewhat deep, most of the time you can get away with a touch up pen, sanding it, then polishing it away. I've done that for quite a few of my clients and it virtually looks brand new. Sucks that this had to happen to you though. Next time I would probably go to a professional detailer and get his/her opinion...
Old 01-19-09, 11:04 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meowmix52
So I got some side scratches on my old Honda Accord to the point where you can feel the scratches go kinda deep into the right front door.
Anyways they said they would rebuff and paint the whole entire Accord for $1500. So that's a really great price. Now when I go back and get it, the door is fixed but the car was not repainted. There are still scratches in the back. Furthermore, the FRONT CAR COVER was SCRATCHED (not by me, but them probably). Now there are unsightly white lines on the front. So not only am I paying for only a minor repaint on the side, but I am paying for MORE scratches. What should I do? This is a chinese repair shop, and they are so greedy. I knew I should have went to an certified shop and spent the extra $.
Not even a contract
Without a contract/agreement...all you can do it complain to the owner, and go somewhere else. You get what you pay for..whether its a Mexican...Chinese..or Vietnamese repair shop.
Old 01-19-09, 12:27 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

I would be extremely suspicious if I went to an auto shop and they quoted $1500 for repainting an entire car, let alone not being certified, especially when $1500 will only cover the hood and bumper from a reputable shop. You can not do much unless you have a formal agreement written out. Just take it to a reputable shop and get the job done right.
Old 01-20-09, 03:06 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Yay, I just got my car back and they reluctantly redid some parts. Not the whole thing though. There are still a few scratches that they missed but the major ones are gone.
HOWEVER, my rear back side door is not working. Only from the inside. I turned the child protective lock on and off and tried it many times but it still did not work. Perhaps they forgot to connect something?? I will call them tomorrow.
Old 01-20-09, 08:50 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
If those side scratches were somewhat deep, most of the time you can get away with a touch up pen, sanding it, then polishing it away. I've done that for quite a few of my clients and it virtually looks brand new.
Where in CA are you located? I scraped by SC against the wall of the garage while pulling in and there are a few felt scratches on the door and fender, and I am not about to pay who-knows-what for a door and fender repaint...
Old 01-20-09, 09:27 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry about your experience. which chinese shop was this?? i'm at Brooklyn and would love to know.. so that i would stay away when possible..

it's not unusual for this type of shop to rob your cash.. not saying cuz it's chinese. but any type of shop.. try going to a place where it's reputable next time..