Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Here are some pictures of my Repair&Redye project

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 08:51 PM
19ES250
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at the pics again, then realized that i really like that color, would you be able to redye the other parts of the car too, like dash door panels, things that are not really leather, but vinal ? forgive me I am just thinking out loud.
Old 01-22-09, 10:09 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

W o W ---Nice work!!!!
Old 01-22-09, 10:51 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Looks nice now, but after some use, the cracks will reappear in the paint coat.
Old 01-22-09, 11:06 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty amazing work despite the color not matching...I would not have the patience to do such a fantastic job..Great work..
Old 01-23-09, 03:16 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Looks nice now, but after some use, the cracks will reappear in the paint coat.
thres a way to do it right where the cracks wont reapear, let me tell you its def not easy at all as this GS interior is kicking my ***, lots and lots of sanding and lots of time invested
Old 01-23-09, 03:17 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 19ES250
I was looking at the pics again, then realized that i really like that color, would you be able to redye the other parts of the car too, like dash door panels, things that are not really leather, but vinal ? forgive me I am just thinking out loud.
yes def can redye your plastic and vynil with this dye, its rather simple i wish that all i had to do, as these cracks are a PITA
Old 01-24-09, 09:03 AM
wald.sc400
BANNED for ripping off other members

amazing work, great product...will be trying this out soon
Old 01-24-09, 03:19 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MDSC
thres a way to do it right where the cracks wont reapear, let me tell you its def not easy at all as this GS interior is kicking my ***, lots and lots of sanding and lots of time invested
well, i guess it all depends on the condition of the leather to begin with. Your seats are in better condition than my old seats which were badly cracked and hardened. The dye is not as durable as the oem finish though.

(yes...thats a HUGE tear lol, nothing could save that seat, but reupholstery)

good luck doing the whole interior. I gave up after doing the front seats and just reupholstered the whole interior myself.
Old 01-24-09, 08:48 PM
I.B.dAt.Fo
Pole Position

woooooow what a big difference!!! good job! looks very goood
Old 01-25-09, 08:12 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

wow!!!
what's the correct color for the lexus beige? 0.o?
Old 01-25-09, 05:26 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
what's the correct color for the lexus beige? 0.o?
I've been searching that out myself. I think it depends on the year and model. I found some info at http://www.leatherrenew.com/LEXUS.html . It looks like we may share the #375 shade (per this chart).
Old 01-25-09, 06:24 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
Well i dont post here alot but i though i would share my experience with letherique product which works awsome.
Here are a few pictures before and after, in my owners manual previous owner wrote the interior color code is ivory but i came to find out it really wasnt, i got the wrong dye but after applying a few coats i decided "what the hell" i'm going to go ahead with the color change and i have no regrets.
this is the driver seat buttom(picture taken while the Letherique rejuvination oil is applied)

as you can see on the right side theres a small tear

armrest

this is the driver seat top on the passenger side bulster theres 2 through and through cracks what i did was i cut out a few pices of leather and aplied glue to them and inserted the pieces into the cracks, then aplied the leatherique "crack filler" waited for it to dry and then sended it down.
Driver seat

both seats in the car the passenger seat wasnt nearly as bad but it did have some minor cracking to be expected from a 1993.

steering wheel before

After
rear seat

All in all i would rate this project very difficult for me anyways having done many things myself like engine, trans and etc (i'm a mechanic) and have painted a few thing, this by far took very long time so if you plan on doing this make sure you understand that you will be without a car for 4-5 days.
Next project is my G/Fs GS i already started this is driver seat with rejuvination oil applied and lightly sanded.
going to apply dye tomorow
Wow that looks amazing, it looks like your leather now is much lighter then what came stock but it looks so much nicer and upscale and has a nice vanilla color. Looks like you dyed the underpart of your dash also. I think it would look much better if you dyed the middle part of your steering wheel
to match the the rim, dying the e brake would also look nicer, I would try to dye everything possible that color. Does your leather feel different or softer after the dye job? How did the dye and dye job end up costing you. If I had that dull tan leather in my car even if it was in good condition I would much rather dye it that light vanilla color as it looks so much nicer.
Old 01-25-09, 09:32 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

That looks AMAZING after esp looking at the before pics! Nice work!
Old 01-26-09, 03:33 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
Wow that looks amazing, it looks like your leather now is much lighter then what came stock but it looks so much nicer and upscale and has a nice vanilla color. Looks like you dyed the underpart of your dash also. I think it would look much better if you dyed the middle part of your steering wheel
to match the the rim, dying the e brake would also look nicer, I would try to dye everything possible that color. Does your leather feel different or softer after the dye job? How did the dye and dye job end up costing you. If I had that dull tan leather in my car even if it was in good condition I would much rather dye it that light vanilla color as it looks so much nicer.
it cost about 140 with the steering wheel kit, which also ended up being the wrong color, pretty much the seats were beige, the steering wheel and top of the dash brown and the buttom of the dash and side leather on the door taupe just like the steering wheel color so the wheel itself matches the doors and lower side of the dash it isnt as light as the seats, its also the same exact color as the GS interior
Old 01-26-09, 03:34 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tuan92129
well, i guess it all depends on the condition of the leather to begin with. Your seats are in better condition than my old seats which were badly cracked and hardened. The dye is not as durable as the oem finish though.

(yes...thats a HUGE tear lol, nothing could save that seat, but reupholstery)

good luck doing the whole interior. I gave up after doing the front seats and just reupholstered the whole interior myself.
its a very hard process no doubt, i looks like that huge crack needed mechanical fix first before applying the crack filler.

Quick Reply: Here are some pictures of my Repair&Redye project