Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What to use...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-09, 05:51 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to use...

I'm thinking of doing a good solid paint cleaning/polishing soon. The paint is only about a year old, decent job, but there is the typical swirls and scratches. I love Meguiars products and I was wondering what would be a good order of products to use for my application. Thanks in advance
Old 01-23-09, 06:48 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by captainsc
I'm thinking of doing a good solid paint cleaning/polishing soon. The paint is only about a year old, decent job, but there is the typical swirls and scratches. I love Meguiars products and I was wondering what would be a good order of products to use for my application. Thanks in advance
The answer depends on what tools you have at hand and how much effort you want to put into it. Do you plan on doing this by hand or machine?

Do you want to use a wax or sealant that fills and hides the some of swirls or a polish to physically remove them?

How much time do you have to invest?

What color is the paint, black?

Last edited by jfelbab; 01-23-09 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-23-09, 06:52 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim is correct. We need to know the limits in order to recommend products for you. Each machine seems to have its own polish that works perfectly from what I saw today playing with my new Makita.
Old 01-23-09, 10:33 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

I do everything by hand. I want to spend a good full weekend on this. My main question though is with the paint being still new, what would be a recommended process that I should use. I'm not lost in detailing, in fact i'm constantly doing it, just so far not this in depth. If anyone has a recommended process I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-24-09, 12:52 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New is months old, not a year hehe. You can do anything to the paint now pretty much.

Try to get your hands on some Meguiars Ultimate Compound, ScratchX 2.0, and Swirl X. Also pick up foam applicators to use with the above products. Those are your best bet by hand that is over the counter stuff
Old 01-24-09, 06:07 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd start with a good quality car wash and use the two bucket method with grit guards and a new sheepskin wash mitt. This will help to limit the new swirling. Dry the car with waffle weave microfiber towels. Next, draw your fingertips gently over the paint and feel for any roughness. If it is not as smooth as glass you should use a clay kit and remove all the contaminants. Be sure to do this on a cool car in the shade.

Following the clay process, you should polish. I'd suggest SwirlX or another medium to fine polish. Do small areas at a time. This will be the most physically taxing process. Take your time and don't move on to the next area until you are satisfied with the one you are working on.

After the polish, it is time to wax. I can recommend Meguiar's NXT 2.0 as I've had very good performance from it.

Once you have a coat of sealant on the car you can wait 12-24 hours and apply another coat for slightly better looks and durability.

Maintain the appearance and slickness by using Ultimate Quik Detailer after every wash or their new Ultimate Quik Wax product.

To keep swirls in check you need to be **** about anything that touches your paint. This means no old MF or cotton towels or applicators. Use new ones and dedicate their use. Keep them spotless and store them in a dust free environment.

How about posting some before and after shots? I'm sure we would all be interested in your results.

Last edited by jfelbab; 01-24-09 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-25-09, 02:21 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by captainsc
I do everything by hand. I want to spend a good full weekend on this. My main question though is with the paint being still new, what would be a recommended process that I should use. I'm not lost in detailing, in fact i'm constantly doing it, just so far not this in depth. If anyone has a recommended process I would greatly appreciate it.
I've had success removing swirls by hand using ssr2. Follow it up w/ either ssr1 or polish w/ sealant before topping w/ your wax of choice. Nattys Paste Wax is always a popular choice!
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/poglco.html

Here ya go: Before and After, only SSR2, by hand on a microfiber applicator pad. \

Old 01-25-09, 05:38 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

That's beautiful. I really appreciate your input on this site and I think I might make a few purchases soon once I get cash.
Old 01-27-09, 10:09 AM
holYcOO
Pole Position

SSR2 by hand application huh? that looks nice. The before looks like my car now. What would you suggest for water spots. Vinegar wash?
Old 01-27-09, 03:03 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, I would start w/ a vinegar wash to see how much that will remove. Thats always a safe bet to try and remove water spots w/o having to go to a polish right away