Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Opinions on Griots 6" orbital kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-09, 12:09 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Opinions on Griots 6" orbital kit

I recieve Griots Garage catalogs in the mail and ave yet to try out their products.. I noticed that they have a $299.00 kit which includes 6" orbital, carrying case, machine polish 1 & 2, best show wax, paint clay & microfiber towels & other goodies.. I am interested in getting this but would like to know if it is worth ordering.. Has anyone purchased their orbital, polish & waxes? Feedback appreciated..
Old 01-29-09, 09:32 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the video they have, I'm thinking the 6" orbital is a glorified Porter Cable 7424 and the 3" orbital is a glorified Metabo or Makita, forgot which one it was lol

I went with Detailed Image's PC Starter Kit last year and have not looked back since. I bought Menz IP and FPII to go with the kit. Both have served me very well over the past year
Old 01-29-09, 10:20 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yea Sean get a PC 7424 starter kit, most of us are familiar with that machine so we can help u if u have any problems...especially Isaac, hes experienced first time problems that even the distributors dont even know how he did it.
Old 01-29-09, 11:21 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It looks like a PC7424 with a few modifications so you are probably going to end up paying a bit more for it being it is Griots model then just buying a Porter Cable 7424 from some online hardware store or detailing store. I got my PC 7424 for $99 and the backing plates, a bunch of pads, and polishes for about another $80-$100. $299 sounds pricey for what you get and I am sure you can find some good deals from autogeek, autopia, etc on PC7424 supplies and save a bunch of money over the Griots kit. If you want to correct swirls/scratches/water spots I would highly recommend a 3 1/2 backing plate and 4 inch orange pads and a decent polish like Menzerna IP and a finishing polish like Sonus 3 with some white pads.
Old 01-30-09, 12:07 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Haha, thanks Joe. Greg @ DI and Eric @ LC are definitely baffled by my experiences thats for sure. The PC Repair Center in SoCal was too since it was the first case! Its still waiting on some parts to be custom fabricated for me

For the OP, that kit (or whatever pad options you choose) along with Menz IP and FP II accomplished the following on my car. You definitely want something smaller than 6.5" pads for the PC. I spent well over 19 hours to correct my paint fully with Orange and White pads

50/50:

Before up-close:

After up-close:
Old 01-30-09, 06:59 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can get you set up w/ a porter cable starter kit for a much better price than what griots offers. They're very expensive and just overpriced imo. Heres some options for you to consider. The poorboys and optimum kit are the 2 most popular for those looking to maintain their vehicles
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/poca74pade.html

Where in NY are you located btw?
Old 02-01-09, 12:45 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
I can get you set up w/ a porter cable starter kit for a much better price than what griots offers. They're very expensive and just overpriced imo. Heres some options for you to consider. The poorboys and optimum kit are the 2 most popular for those looking to maintain their vehicles
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/poca74pade.html

Where in NY are you located btw?
I'm in Queens Chris. Those two kits seem great.. Do your kits include micro towels? Here is what Griots is offereing for $299.00.. Everything pictured below..

6" Orbital Bag Kit
Save $51.82!
Everything You Need For The Road To Perfection.
Now is the time to do something special for yourself with our Ultimate 6" Orbital Bag Kit. If you have been wanting a Random Orbital, this Kit will give you everything you need right off the bat to achieve perfection... all stored in our versatile Car Care Organizer Bag. Kit includes: Organizer Bag, 6" Random Orbital, 16 oz. Best of Show Wax®, 16 oz. Machine Polish 2, 16 oz. Machine Polish 3, 2 Orange Polish Pads, Red Wax Pad, 3 Micro Fiber Polish Removal Cloths, 3 Micro Fiber Wax Removal Cloths, 8 oz. Speed Shine®, Paint Cleaning Clay, 8 oz. Spray-On Wax, 8 oz. Window Cleaner, 4 Micro Fiber Window Cloths, 8 oz. Interior Cleaner and 2 Micro Fiber Interior Cloths.
Old 02-01-09, 03:31 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I'm in Queens Chris. Those two kits seem great.. Do your kits include micro towels? Here is what Griots is offereing for $299.00.. Everything pictured below..
I would not consider a few Microfiber towels/rags in the kit to be much of a deal breaker, I got 2 nice sized blue waffle weaved towels at autopia for $6 each or $12.99 around Christmas for the both of them and you can get decent Microfiber towels like Viking at Kmart or auto stores for like $12 for a set of 12. Often times those kits seem nice when you see all the stuff that they come with but when you start pricing different stuff seperately and what you really need you can get much better deals going that way. You can do alot better then the $299 kit that Griots is offering and get some nicer products if you look around.
Old 02-02-09, 07:56 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You get a one or two for free w/ either of those packages Like UDel said, you can load up on towels considering the price difference in the packages though Since you're right in queens, items get to you in one day too Lemme know if you have any questions on those packages!
Old 02-02-09, 08:34 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
You get a one or two for free w/ either of those packages Like UDel said, you can load up on towels considering the price difference in the packages though Since you're right in queens, items get to you in one day too Lemme know if you have any questions on those packages!
I will order a kit from you within the week! I'll pm later on for more info on the various kits.. Thank Chris
Old 02-02-09, 10:18 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Can't go wrong with Chris. Hes the man!