Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What is the best way to remove scuffed paint w/pic

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-09 | 03:29 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Question What is the best way to remove scuffed paint w/pic

Hey guys, I need your help on choosing the best method of removing paint scuffs from a concrete pillar common in parking garages.

I would like to at least remove 90% of it. Do you think its doable? or must i take it to a body shop to have them repaint it? It looks salvageable to me, so i thought i'd check with the gurus here for some advice.

By the way, this is on 2004 LS430 in flint mica. It seems a bit hard, and cannot be removed with a finger nail.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails What is the best way to remove scuffed paint w/pic-image3431.jpg  

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 02-06-09 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-06-09 | 03:38 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 10,000

Looks like most of it could be taken off by a rotary buffer and some wetsanding might be needed...
Old 02-06-09 | 05:37 PM
khooper
Driver School Candidate

Paint is a very simple thing to understand. The more you pay, the more durable it is. The glossier that it is, the more scrubbable that it is. However, the glossier the finish, the more defects will show. Color is irrelevant. A paint becomes more expensive when there is more of the key incredient(titanium dioxide). Typically, the price per gallon will reflect more or less of this product. good luck, do some research. Stay away from HD
Old 02-07-09 | 04:23 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Used some gas and that did the trick for me.... i washed and put a layer of polish afterwards.

This will have to do until i paint both bumpers.

Note: thats my reflection in the chrome strip, also note the wheels reflecting.
Attached Thumbnails What is the best way to remove scuffed paint w/pic-image3432.jpg  
Old 02-07-09 | 05:46 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

U do know polish isn't a wax right?
I would have washed it with dawn; then claybarred it. Then wetsanded with 2500; Then waxed it to see how it was, and if it still was bad used some abrasive rubbing compound/polishing compound.
I think Denatured alcohol would have been better.
Old 02-07-09 | 08:29 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
I would have washed it with dawn; then claybarred it. Then wetsanded with 2500; Then waxed it to see how it was, and if it still was bad used some abrasive rubbing compound/polishing compound.
Second on all 4. Definitely a good buff out with some rubbing compound to take out fine scratches, then a solid wax. With those, you may not even need to repaint it for quite some time unless you want to.

Big Mack
Old 02-07-09 | 09:20 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

I'm not even sure if you really messed up the paint big time by using gasoline..
I know for a fact that if you use brakekleen on a car's panels you can never get autobody paint to ever stick no matter how well its been primed Don't ask me how I know
Old 02-07-09 | 12:27 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

U do know polish isn't a wax right?
The problem was the paint had severely cracked due to the damage incurred. So i'm not sure how i would be able to wax it. Felt as if it would chip the cracked paint even more.

Yes, i know wax and polish aren't the same, but thats going to have to hold till it gets closer to spring.
Old 02-07-09 | 12:39 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

I'm not even sure if you really messed up the paint big time by using gasoline..
I know for a fact that if you use brakekleen on a car's panels you can never get autobody paint to ever stick no matter how well its been primed Don't ask me how I know
It looks like its going to be okay, but if bad comes to worse, the whole bumper will be replaced.

wow, never knew about the brakeleen stuff... thats some serious damage there.
Old 02-07-09 | 01:28 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Hmnn just wax the spots with NXT or go to harley dealer and get some S100
Old 02-07-09 | 04:32 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

they won't need to replace the bumper, just repaint. Probably a $300-$500 job if you can find a really good shop.