Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Washing the car during raining

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09 | 10:43 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Haha, thanks Cliff! Sorry we couldn't chat much. I was really looking forward to talking to you in person. We managed to finish transferring 2.5 gallons of soap minutes before the Cops were called

Didn't even get to look around either . We'll catch up at the next meet
yup it just wasn't fair all we got to do was split the Koolaid
Old 02-21-09 | 08:29 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by MrBBQ
You have to soap down the car to break up and loosen the dirt and grit you already had on there. Rain shouldnt have dirt or grit in it. Have you actually tried soaping down the car when its pouring? Noted I said pouring, drizzling just wont do.
No I havent tried it, But I have been detailing cars long enough to know that I wash it AFTER it rains...cause the rain water makes it dirty...

Think about it... *scenario* You just washed your car the right way. You park it overnight. It rains while you are sleeping. You go outside and look at your car...you are pissed...why? what do you have? Dirty, Pollen-y, Gritty water spots.

Do what you want Sir, but I have been doing this since before I could even DRIVE a car...and I am not comfortable with it because of what I know rainwater has in it. Its the same reason you dont want to drink it. Whats in our atomosphere in most areas? Dirt/Dust/Smog from the city...the same **** you are trying to wash off your paint.

Issac, Chris, am I right? I know Im not crazy...

Dont get me wrong OP, I am not trying to disrespect you in any way. I am sure it works for you, but I am equally sure that It isnt as good for your finish as you might think.

It is just like some OCD details using distilled/purified/RO water to do their jobs. That isnt nessecary, just a plain old water hose will do just fine.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 02-21-09 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-21-09 | 10:27 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, I believe that Josh is right OP. Do not forget that rain water is not as clean as you would think it is. OP has to remember that there is such a thing called acid rain which should be apparent no matter where you live with varying degrees of acidity. I'm sure you would not like the acid from the pollution in the air to be slowly eating/etching at your clearcoat

This is all just IME from what I've noticed since I started detailing, but I do notice dust/potential contaminant build-up increases after a rain. While I do not have the perfect car to test with (black), I do notice the buildup quite rapidly due to my OCDness lol
Old 02-22-09 | 08:05 AM
MyfirstES
Driver

I do believe there is a difference using deionized or distilled water in your products vs. hose or tap water. Especially true with glass cleaners. With DI water/distilled there will be less streaking. The properties of the water make the cleaning products more effective (less streaking with my glass cleaner). That has been my experience, but more so with pre-mixing glass cleaner.
Old 02-22-09 | 03:04 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

this is different when you are mixing concentrates. I am referring to rinsing your car. Plain old water hose and a chamois will do just fine.
Old 02-23-09 | 02:59 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

No offense taken guys, I didn't create this thread to replace the idea of washing our cars the right way, and trust me, I do wash my car the good ol' way like once a week, Wax once a month. Just happens when it rains, the rain is already there on the car, so it wouldn't hurt to help get the dirt off. It sure looks a lot better than without soaping down the car after the car dries after a downpour. Perhaps I love my car too damn much right now and want it clean as much as possible. This will all change though as I will lack more time when my baby is due next month Then I will probably wash my car a lot less...

Last edited by MrBBQ; 02-23-09 at 03:03 AM.