Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Anyone buff?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09 | 10:05 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexminster
Hello Gents,

He suggested that I come back every three months to get a reapplication of Zaino which would run $160 - which got me thinking - I need to learn how to do this on my own because paying $640 year for waxings just won't cut it. So now I'm looking at buying either a Porter Cable or some other tool. I seem to hear of Porter Cable everywhere - is this the standard? I'm a novice so will this do?

Next, it looks like I'll be purchasing the Zaino kit from Zaino Bros. Should I buy the whole kit or just the individual bottles that I'll need (ie are there products that'll come with the kit that aren't really used)? I think the kit runs $120 or so.

I'll post the pics soon so stay tuned....

Thanks for the feedback -
Whatever you do, don't pay some idiot $160 to apply Zaino to your car, and yes if he is charging(ripping you off) $160 he is an idiot and so are the people who would pay that. For one thing a proper Zaino application will last much longer then 3 months and he is stupid if he is redoing the whole process every 3 months so what he is really doing is putting a coat or 2 of Z2 or Z5 and then maybe a final spray of Z8. He may just be applying a final spray of Z8 which will take about 20-30 minutes and cost him about $1 to $2 to use the product, nice little racket he has there.

The only Zaino products you need is the Zaino AIO, Z2 or Z5, and if you want a bottle of Z8 to put on between coats. The AIO and Z2 together costs maybe $40-$50 and will last several years and it is easy to amply and that is all you really need from Zaino. There is no real reason why you need to spend a bunch of money on a bunch of different expensive Zaino products or kits that some people say you need. Make sure your car surface is clean by claying and washing with a strong wash made for stripping wax or you can use dawn or a diluted vinegar/alcho solution. Once the surface is clean you put on the AIO, wait and remove it and that is the base coat and then you can put on a coat or two of Z2 and trust me that is all you need it protects and lasts longer then just about anything on the market and you don't have to spend a fortune.

$160 just to apply Zaino is outrageous and criminal. It is costing that guy maybe $5-$10 at most in product to do your car and it is a complete waste of your money.
Old 04-03-09 | 08:37 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Whatever you do, don't pay some idiot $160 to apply Zaino to your car, and yes if he is charging(ripping you off) $160 he is an idiot and so are the people who would pay that. For one thing a proper Zaino application will last much longer then 3 months and he is stupid if he is redoing the whole process every 3 months so what he is really doing is putting a coat or 2 of Z2 or Z5 and then maybe a final spray of Z8. He may just be applying a final spray of Z8 which will take about 20-30 minutes and cost him about $1 to $2 to use the product, nice little racket he has there.

The only Zaino products you need is the Zaino AIO, Z2 or Z5, and if you want a bottle of Z8 to put on between coats. The AIO and Z2 together costs maybe $40-$50 and will last several years and it is easy to amply and that is all you really need from Zaino. There is no real reason why you need to spend a bunch of money on a bunch of different expensive Zaino products or kits that some people say you need. Make sure your car surface is clean by claying and washing with a strong wash made for stripping wax or you can use dawn or a diluted vinegar/alcho solution. Once the surface is clean you put on the AIO, wait and remove it and that is the base coat and then you can put on a coat or two of Z2 and trust me that is all you need it protects and lasts longer then just about anything on the market and you don't have to spend a fortune.

$160 just to apply Zaino is outrageous and criminal. It is costing that guy maybe $5-$10 at most in product to do your car and it is a complete waste of your money.

Awesome...thanks so much for the guidance. Yeah, that's insane money that can definitely be put to better use. I've been studying the Zaino site and shortly order some product (not kit) along with a Porter Cable 7424 and some Lake Country pads.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone buff?-014.jpg  
Old 04-03-09 | 09:05 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

As promised, here are the before and after pics of my car from the detailers

turned my car in at 7 am...

Anyone buff?-001.jpg
Old 04-03-09 | 09:06 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

Another before shot
Anyone buff?-002.jpg
Old 04-03-09 | 09:07 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

Yet another before shot
Anyone buff?-003.jpg
Old 04-03-09 | 09:09 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

This is Evan, the owner of the detailing shop. I didn't notice this at the time, but he's using a DeWalt polisher on my car. Should I be alarmed?!?!
Anyone buff?-004.jpg
Old 04-03-09 | 09:11 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

This is Josh, he also worked on my car
Anyone buff?-007.jpg
Old 04-03-09 | 09:12 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

Half way through day one
Anyone buff?-009.jpg
Old 04-03-09 | 09:13 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

And after two days - Here is the finished product:
Anyone buff?-011.jpg
Old 04-03-09 | 09:14 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

Another angle
Anyone buff?-010.jpg
Old 04-03-09 | 09:15 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

another side
Anyone buff?-013.jpg
Old 04-03-09 | 09:16 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

This is probably my favorite shot
Anyone buff?-014.jpg
Old 04-03-09 | 09:17 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

a close up
Anyone buff?-015.jpg
Old 04-03-09 | 09:18 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

Outside shot
Anyone buff?-018.jpg
Old 04-03-09 | 09:23 PM
Lexminster
Rookie

One last shot
Anyone buff?-020.jpg

I am happy with the results. But now that I've been looking into detailing a bit more and getting great advice and guidance from CL forum members...I think it's time to step it up and learn how to do this on my own. In doing so, I can save money, know that I'm taking my time and doing a quality job, and most importantly - take pride in the finished product. Thanks a lot, everyone for all the awesome guidance - much appreciation!

Cheers -

Quick Reply: Anyone buff?