Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailing & Vinyl

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-09, 04:35 PM
oski83
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing & Vinyl

To those with experience with it....

I own a car that was used primarily for the show circuit and occassional driving...it has a few sponsor decals (vinyl) and roll calls along the side of the car.

Now with the warmer weather here in the Northeast, and my intent on selling it, I really wanted to do a full detail job with buffer, polishing, waxing etc...to get it looking its best
Car has been garaged kept and paint-wise, in great condition since I never drove it it rain or crazy weather unless we got caught in 1 coming from a show.

Problem I have is that Im concerned about the vinyl decals...they are not huge but regardless, they are there. Largest is maybe 10-12" wide.

They are placed along the bottom of the doors along side of car at a 45* degree angle. There are about 10 per side. Some on the Hood, and a couple on the bumpers.

Will it be more of an issue trying to buff around them (or tape them up) or should I simply remove them??

I'd hate to see them go to waste since they are in great shape, but then again, the prospect buyer might not want them either.

Any feedback on wether to keep them, take them off, of possible solutions to detail the car without taking them off would be helpful

Thanks!
Old 03-13-09, 07:13 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I would wait until I get a buyer. That way I don't have to repolish the areas under the vinyl if the buyer doesn't want them

If you must detail it, I would plan on finding the least sticky painters tape available, that way it wont have a high risk of ripping off the stickers. Although, going super slow while taking them off would work too I guess, I usually did both when I had cars like that
Old 03-14-09, 12:57 PM
oski83
Driver

Thanks for input eyezack....Im gonna have to inspect decals to see if its worth trying to mask them....some might have the Font or Logo too complex to cover properly..maybe I'll tape over the entire decal like in a rectangle/block of tape

Any Vendor Detailers suggest anything else?
Old 03-15-09, 12:54 PM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

If you're using a machine, general rule is to tape off all non-paint surfaces. I tape off all decals, emblems, door handles, trims, etc. Very time consuming, but if you're gonna do it, do it right!

When you're done polishing, use a 50/50 alcohol blend to remove all residue around the decals.
Old 03-15-09, 02:39 PM
oski83
Driver

Thanks Trendy....50/50 as in 50% water, 50% Alcohol? Mineral spirits?
Old 03-15-09, 02:48 PM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oski83
Thanks Trendy....50/50 as in 50% water, 50% Alcohol? Mineral spirits?
Isopropyl Alcohol/Water (filtered preferably)
Old 03-16-09, 09:29 AM
oski83
Driver

Cool...Thanks!!