Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailing Newb Needs Direction...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-09, 03:42 PM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
Edwin clean up your inbox111!!111 ...
haha cleaned out!

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
You guys are too baller.

I agree the only way to know what you like best is to try different things since everyone has different expectations.
its all YOUR fault long!!!! if i hadnt gotten those products from you i wouldn't have continued to keep trying all types of stuff. theres so many products where ive used just once then tried another and another and another...and from there ive kinda been able to figure out what i like and dont like. but what i like might not be be what everyone else likes or the "best" which everyone raves about zaino cough cough

so to everyone...just try different things out until you find something that youre comfortable or like to use. you won't know if you don't try. it doesn't have to be the biggest, baddest, or most expensive either.
Old 03-27-09, 03:56 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are too baller.

I agree the only way to know what you like best is to try different things since everyone has different expectations.
Haha, if that were the case, I would have some of the Werkstatt and also the full Zaino line. But I've read some bad things about Werkstatt so I'm going to skip that and I like waxing so I'll skip Zaino too

I used all my detail money for more detail stuff anyway. I stopped at the moment to save up for mod money this time around
Old 03-28-09, 01:59 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by edwinbong
its all YOUR fault long!!!! if i hadnt gotten those products from you i wouldn't have continued to keep trying all types of stuff. theres so many products where ive used just once then tried another and another and another...and from there ive kinda been able to figure out what i like and dont like. but what i like might not be be what everyone else likes or the "best" which everyone raves about zaino cough cough

so to everyone...just try different things out until you find something that youre comfortable or like to use. you won't know if you don't try. it doesn't have to be the biggest, baddest, or most expensive either.
I know what you mean about try once and never again products. My favorite combo is Menzerna SIP + 106ff + wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant. Once I found that combo I stopped visiting any detailing websites because I didn't want to spend anymore. Over the past two years I've spent exactly $2057.82 on products, but I have sold some products to offset the cost, and to buy a new polisher...which never happened

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Haha, if that were the case, I would have some of the Werkstatt and also the full Zaino line. But I've read some bad things about Werkstatt so I'm going to skip that and I like waxing so I'll skip Zaino too

I used all my detail money for more detail stuff anyway. I stopped at the moment to save up for mod money this time around
I have some werkstatt acrylic jett if you still have an urge to try it.
Old 03-28-09, 06:36 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried acrylic jett and thought it was pretty good. A customer had brought it w/ him and wanted me to use it on his silver car. Like Blkexcoupe said, the only way to find out what you like is to try different products. Theres a ton of stuff out there and everyone is going to have their own opinion based on cost, ease of application/removal, looks, durability, availability, etc.
Old 03-28-09, 12:08 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Hehe, I'm playing a psychological game against myself Long
Old 03-28-09, 12:41 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I have been very happy with the Jeff Werkstatt products I used and the results. The main problem with Werkstatt is the Acrylic Jett or final step can be difficult to remove, especially if you use too much then it is a pain to remove and I can attest to that. Other then that it protects, lasts, and looks very good but I like Zaino and Colonite 476S a little better and use them more now. Zaino seems to bead a little better, is a little slicker, and with the final step like Z2 it is much easier to remove then Jeff Werkstatt AJ even if you put on a thicker coat. The only downside to Zaino is it is a bit overpriced but I have yet to find a better sealant for durability, slickness, protection so I can deal with the higher price at least until I find something that is as good but less expensive.

I know Zaino gets overhyped way too much by many obsessive fans and I try not to buy into hype for expensive products but when I saw a very shiny black Porsche one rainy day that was beading very well I asked what he used and he said Zaino and the last coat he put on was actually a couple months ago. He felt similar to me and tried several products and did not buy into the Zaino hype until he saw a car with Zaino and how long it lasted and how well it beaded and decided to try Zaino and was very pleased so after seeing it in person I tried it and have been very impressed.

Colonite 476S got alot of hype and I expected it to be very expensive but when I saw that it is pretty inexpensive I gave it a shot and have been very impressed. It is very unique because it is carnuba based yet protects and lasts longer then most sealants.
Old 03-28-09, 01:33 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UDel
I have been very happy with the Jeff Werkstatt products I used and the results. The main problem with Werkstatt is the Acrylic Jett or final step can be difficult to remove, especially if you use too much then it is a pain to remove and I can attest to that.
That is the main reason I don't really use it that often because I get worried about struggling to remove it. My SC still has a line on the hood from where I over applied it like 6 months ago.

I remember when Henry (gsteg) polycharged acrylic jett, and he had the hardest time removing it from his car because he failed to read the dosage chart.
Old 03-28-09, 02:30 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That is the main reason I don't really use it that often because I get worried about struggling to remove it. My SC still has a line on the hood from where I over applied it like 6 months ago.

I remember when Henry (gsteg) polycharged acrylic jett, and he had the hardest time removing it from his car because he failed to read the dosage chart.
Yeah, it was more difficult then I expected to remove the first time I tried it because I used a little too much. Later after reading about others experiences they said to put it on as light as possible even to where you barely see it on the vehicle and then then wipe it off shortly after, that helped alot and I was pleased with the results. I might write or email JW and say making it easier to remove is something they could improve but overall they are still very good products.
Old 03-28-09, 07:47 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Posting in this thread today motivated me to wash the IS today with actual car soap instead of ONR.
Old 03-28-09, 09:49 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Posting in this thread today motivated me to wash the IS today with actual car soap instead of ONR.

Congrats Long!
Old 03-28-09, 11:18 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats Long!
With water restrictions in SD, i have no other option than ONR and Ultimate Quick Detailer
Old 03-28-09, 11:35 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Congrats Long!
I forgot how soft black Lexus paint is. I took every precaution I could washing and drying it and there is still new swirls all over, and I think there is a small scratch on the hood too. I've been too spoiled this past year driving a white SC. I think its time to get a new equipment to wash cars though. I need to get new wash mitts and maybe more towels.
Old 03-28-09, 11:58 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tuan92129
With water restrictions in SD, i have no other option than ONR and Ultimate Quick Detailer
No problem with ONR. Love that stuff for those times
I forgot how soft black Lexus paint is. I took every precaution I could washing and drying it and there is still new swirls all over, and I think there is a small scratch on the hood too. I've been too spoiled this past year driving a white SC. I think its time to get a new equipment to wash cars though. I need to get new wash mitts and maybe more towels.
Hehe, you should invest in the Uber Wash mitt from Detailers Domain or the Wookie mitt from Dodo Juice

Also, add a couple oz of ONR to your wash along with the soap you use. That'll make the water super lubricated and all the dirt will sink easier
Old 03-29-09, 12:22 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I'll probably end up getting the uber mitt because I have no idea where to find a wookie mitt.
Old 03-29-09, 08:14 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll probably end up getting the uber mitt because I have no idea where to find a wookie mitt.
UK for the wookie mit...

Grout sponges work also quite well for those needing good sponges/mitts..specifically the Proline one at Lowes in sealed bags.... Works very well.

Quick Reply: Detailing Newb Needs Direction...