Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Which Trim Restorer To Use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-09, 10:07 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg@DI
All three of those products do work well. The Poorboy's World Trim Restorer - 16 oz leaves the trim dark and helps clean the surface. I would say the Black WOW Black WOW - 4 oz and the Chemical Guys Fade 2 Black - 13 oz are a little more permanent though. The Black WOW Black WOW - 4 oz is really an amazing product that would probably be my top recommendation to you. Just a pea sized drop is enough to do a really large area. It just seems to do an amazing job of bringing back the vinyl, rubber and plastic surfaces. The Chemical Guys Fade 2 Black - 13 oz is my go to product for wheel wells, engine bays, etc. Again all three work really well and are relatively similar products. Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI
Would you say Blackwow is clearly better then the PB Trim restorer and Fade 2 Black and is worth paying $10-$12 extra for a smaller bottle with less product? Is there a noticeable difference in how Blackwow performs as in able to bring back faded black trim to its original darker color compared to the other tow? $25 for a small bottle like blackwow just seems a little too pricey and I don't really want to pay that much for something I will rarely use but if it is really good and clearly superior over the other two I may get it.
Old 09-25-09, 12:47 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Would you say Blackwow is clearly better then the PB Trim restorer and Fade 2 Black and is worth paying $10-$12 extra for a smaller bottle with less product? Is there a noticeable difference in how Blackwow performs as in able to bring back faded black trim to its original darker color compared to the other tow? $25 for a small bottle like blackwow just seems a little too pricey and I don't really want to pay that much for something I will rarely use but if it is really good and clearly superior over the other two I may get it.
Again I do like both products but I think the Black WOW Black WOW - 4 oz is overall a better product that justifies the cost. It is only a 4oz bottle verse a 16oz bottle but they probably get around the same amount of uses. The Black WOW Black WOW - 4 oz is very concentrated and you really only need a pea sized drop of it. Some people even recommend using a rice grain sized drop. It stretches really far when used correctly. Both products are only semi-permanent but the Black WOW definitely lasts longer in my experiences. It's a great product to have around to touch up the trim, vinyl below windshield wiper, bumpers, engine bay, etc. The Fade 2 Black is great but slightly different, primarily because it's an aersol container. This makes it more challenging to apply to trim pieces. Again I keep this product around primarily for the wheel wells. If I had to pick one for you I certainly think the Black WOW Black WOW - 4 oz sounds like the best solution, even though it costs a bit more. In my opinion it's worth the extra money to get the best solution for the job.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Old 09-25-09, 04:15 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i will offer my unbiased opinion on 2 products, PB Trim Restorer and CG Fade 2 Black. initially, i purchased the PB Trim Restorer and fell in love with it. i was applying it to all the exterior and engine parts to bring them back to life. but, for some reason, there were certain surfaces, that no matter how much i used, the trim restorer would "dry off". i would apply it a second and third time, and more liberally hoping that it would "sink in" but it just never happened. so i was left with about a 90-95% success rate. so as much as i loved it, my OCD said i need to get something else. then i purchased the CG Fade 2 Black and wow, wow, wow! this became my FAVORITE detailing product ever. this stuff is soooooooo easy to use - literally just spray on and thats it! i think this is the first time i have ever used a detailing product that worked exactly like it said it would. but, this product is an aerosol product and you cant exactly do small areas without getting over spray on other areas. i may eventually try the Black Wow since i love trying new stuff, but the combo of these 2 products has left me VERY happy.
Old 09-25-09, 11:43 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by varcity64
i will offer my unbiased opinion on 2 products, PB Trim Restorer and CG Fade 2 Black. initially, i purchased the PB Trim Restorer and fell in love with it. i was applying it to all the exterior and engine parts to bring them back to life. but, for some reason, there were certain surfaces, that no matter how much i used, the trim restorer would "dry off". i would apply it a second and third time, and more liberally hoping that it would "sink in" but it just never happened. so i was left with about a 90-95% success rate. so as much as i loved it, my OCD said i need to get something else. then i purchased the CG Fade 2 Black and wow, wow, wow! this became my FAVORITE detailing product ever. this stuff is soooooooo easy to use - literally just spray on and thats it! i think this is the first time i have ever used a detailing product that worked exactly like it said it would. but, this product is an aerosol product and you cant exactly do small areas without getting over spray on other areas. i may eventually try the Black Wow since i love trying new stuff, but the combo of these 2 products has left me VERY happy.
What type of surface was the PB trim restorer unable to work on? I am detailing a neighbors Volvo S80 lower plastic side skirts that are pretty faded and were originally black. It felt like fairly hard plastic with a circular grain.
Old 09-26-09, 06:54 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
What type of surface was the PB trim restorer unable to work on? I am detailing a neighbors Volvo S80 lower plastic side skirts that are pretty faded and were originally black. It felt like fairly hard plastic with a circular grain.
i have had great success on exterior trim with the PB trim restorer. i was actually applying the PB trim restorer on surfaces in the engine of my brothers 3 series and i could not one surface to stay shiny. its the long and thin strip right beneath the wiper arm:

i hope phil does not mind, since i took this pic from his bmw m3 paint correction detail just to show you the exact part (phil, if this is an issue, please let me know and i will take it down)

if by chance you live in NJ near me, i would be more than happy to let you test the product, but it may not be worth that kind of trouble
Old 09-26-09, 03:53 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 170 Likes on 144 Posts

Which one of the trim restorers has the best staying power (i.e. through rain and washing)? And how long does it last?
Old 09-26-09, 05:21 PM
MoeMistry
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz
Which one of the trim restorers has the best staying power (i.e. through rain and washing)? And how long does it last?
Be careful of restorers that last a long long time. There is no magic product that's going to last for months and months without proper care. As long as you start a good routine of caring for all aspects of the car such as the paint, leather, tires, trim, etc. you won't have to have damage that needs reversing. A good product should have quality ingredients in it that lasts a few months, 1 or 2, once the substrate is at a point where the damage is reversed. The problem with some trim restorers is that they contain inferior grades of silicone, there are quality silicones out there, and look good initially, but actually are harmful. Armor All comes to mind.
Old 09-30-09, 01:28 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

How does 303 stack up against these products?
Old 10-01-09, 11:34 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RX469
How does 303 stack up against these products?
The 303 Aerospace Protectant - 16 oz is a great product for protecting your vinyl, rubber, leather and plastic surfaces. However I don't think it has the same power to restore a dark finish like the other products listed above. So in short it's a great product but a little different.

Greg @ DI
Old 10-01-09, 11:38 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kitlz
The results vary on a lot of factors like weather, UV exposure, prep work, application, etc. but generally speaking I've gotten about at least 2 - 5 months of a like new appearance from the Black WOW and Fade 2 Black. The Trim Restorer is probably just slightly less with a 1 - 3 month range. Additionally as they fade the surface doesn't usually look as bad as when you started but the like new appearance will fade in time. Again these are ball park figures because many variables impact the results, but I hope it helps.

Greg @ DI
Old 10-02-09, 07:57 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

In case you are interested in the Black WOW today is a great day to buy it because it's our Daily Special. So for today only (10/2 midnight EST) it will be on sale.

Today's Daily special (October 2, 2009) is Black WOW Black WOW.

Regular Price for 4 oz is $24.99. Today's price is $18.74!
  • Restore faded and neglected trim pieces
  • Removes product residue from trim
  • Lasts through multiple washes
  • Only a tiny bit of product is needed, use sparingly