Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Which Trim Restorer To Use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-09, 10:18 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Which Trim Restorer To Use?

I have a 07 GMC Envoy for winter and the black trim on the exterior needs some lovin. There is a combination of smooth black rubber and hard grainy black plastic trim that needs some protectant and restoring back to dark black.

What do you guys recommend will work good for a variety of different surfaces and exterior materials. I've never used any type of trim restorer but these three seem to be popular.

Black Wow
Mothers Back to Black
Poorboys Trim Restorer

Thanks
Old 03-21-09, 11:40 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GUNRU-GS4
I have a 07 GMC Envoy for winter and the black trim on the exterior needs some lovin. There is a combination of smooth black rubber and hard grainy black plastic trim that needs some protectant and restoring back to dark black.

What do you guys recommend will work good for a variety of different surfaces and exterior materials. I've never used any type of trim restorer but these three seem to be popular.

Black Wow
Mothers Back to Black
Poorboys Trim Restorer

Thanks
I personally use the Poorboy's World Trim Restorer. It helps clean, shine and protect the trim all in one step. It is easy to apply with a pleasant scent and looks great on a variety of plastic, vinyl and rubber trim. We also offer 10% off to all forum members with the coupon code 10offCL if you are interested. If you have any questions please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-21-09, 01:27 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black Wow!! Is amazing and smells like watermelon!
Old 03-21-09, 04:16 PM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

big 2nd on Black Wow for the plastics!

for the rubber I would go with Einszett Vinyl and Rubber Care
Old 03-22-09, 06:34 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

I use Poorboys Trim Restorer

Heres an example of what its capable of. (I use it in conjunction w/ a microfiber applicator fwiw)

Poorboys Trim Restore

Before (w/ just one quick swipe to show the surrounding damage)

After:

and heres a 50/50 shot:
Old 03-24-09, 04:52 PM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That Poorboys sure made a big difference on the Jeep.
Old 03-24-09, 10:20 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

mothers fade to black is an alright product too....easy to find and cheap!
Old 03-25-09, 12:11 AM
XprincoX
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

303 aerospace spray or lexol Vinylex for me.
Old 03-27-09, 09:16 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did my neighbors truck today as he planned on returning his lease on Monday. Here is some BlackWOW power that makes you WOW everytime [/shamwowguy]

50/50

Complete

This also was faded like the windshield trim!
Old 03-27-09, 11:06 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

^^You'll like Pre-Wow when it comes out. Richard gave me a sample of it to test for him
Old 03-28-09, 06:05 AM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

awesome thanks for sharing!
Old 09-24-09, 02:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
I use Poorboys Trim Restorer

Heres an example of what its capable of. (I use it in conjunction w/ a microfiber applicator fwiw)

Poorboys Trim Restore

Before (w/ just one quick swipe to show the surrounding damage)

After:

and heres a 50/50 shot:
That is pretty impressive results on that jeep. How does Blackwow compare to the Poorboys trim restorer? I am going to be detailing a Volvo sedan and the lower plastic trim is pretty faded and gray and needs something to turn it black again. I would rather pay $15 for the Poorboys then $25 for the Blackwow if they are similar but if there is a big difference and the Blackwow is a good deal superior then I might have to go with the Blackwow. Someone also suggested CG Black Forever Gel.
Old 09-24-09, 05:20 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by UDel
That is pretty impressive results on that jeep. How does Blackwow compare to the Poorboys trim restorer? I am going to be detailing a Volvo sedan and the lower plastic trim is pretty faded and gray and needs something to turn it black again. I would rather pay $15 for the Poorboys then $25 for the Blackwow if they are similar but if there is a big difference and the Blackwow is a good deal superior then I might have to go with the Blackwow. Someone also suggested CG Black Forever Gel.

All three of those products do work well. The Poorboy's World Trim Restorer - 16 oz leaves the trim dark and helps clean the surface. I would say the Black WOW Black WOW - 4 oz and the Chemical Guys Fade 2 Black - 13 oz are a little more permanent though. The Black WOW Black WOW - 4 oz is really an amazing product that would probably be my top recommendation to you. Just a pea sized drop is enough to do a really large area. It just seems to do an amazing job of bringing back the vinyl, rubber and plastic surfaces. The Chemical Guys Fade 2 Black - 13 oz is my go to product for wheel wells, engine bays, etc. Again all three work really well and are relatively similar products. Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 09-24-09, 10:06 PM
internet13
Driver School Candidate

I was looking for things like these for a time, thanks for these posts, Trim Restorer are really important, some people thinks that it's wastage of money, but it's wrong.
Old 09-25-09, 08:56 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
Thanks!
I never used Black Wow since Poorboys Trim Restorer always did what I asked of it. Dont forget that the Trim Restorer is also a larger bottle compared to Black Wow. So Trim Restorer is 10 bux less, but its also 4x the size, dont forget that

Quick Reply: Which Trim Restorer To Use?