Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Menzerna+CCS orange combo=WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-09, 09:13 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Menzerna+CCS orange combo=WOW!

I always wondered what the hoopla about this stuff was, and my mom's Sienna has quite a few swirl marks on it. I ordered a bottle of the Intensive Polish, and a orange CCS pad. I washed the van at work yesterday and rubbed it down with a blue Clay Magic.

The real experimentation happened tonight. I used my trusty McCullouch polisher, which is a copy of the DeWalt 847 but it doesn't handle like one. I have a Meguiar's backing plate that fit the curved CCS just right. I polished all panels but the roof on the van. I almost burned the paint on the lower corner of the passenger's door but when it cooled down it still had it gloss and felt smooth. I've noticed this stuff is easy to work with - compared to 3M's compounds and the garbage First Place Finish "compound" I use at work which is really a silicone-laden finishing glaze. I had a bit of splatter, but it wipes off easily. All the swirls and fine scratches are gone as far as I can tell in the garage, but I need to pull the van in the sun to make a final judgment. So far, this is the best compound I've used. I'm waiting for my neighbor to come back so I can get my Poorboy's back - I'm layering PWC+Klasse Silver sealant+Natty's White. I'm not touching the bumpers.
Old 03-23-09, 10:40 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PC+Orange+IP was my combo for my paint. Glad you like it as well. It works perfectly for most Toyota and Lexus paints since they're so soft
Old 03-23-09, 11:06 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eyezack87
PC+Orange+IP was my combo for my paint. Glad you like it as well. It works perfectly for most Toyota and Lexus paints since they're so soft
I used a good old rotary polisher here - which takes skill to safely use without cooking your paint - which I was close to tonight but the paint remained unscathed. Tomorrow will be the Klasse+Poorboy's treatment.

I'm itching to try this on a Honda, their paint is soft and delicate. The Sienna I'm doing this on uses PPG's OEM-spec waterbased paint system. For some reason I've noticed Toyota paint is worlds better than Honda paint in the real world - I'm seeing so many Accords and Civics with clearcoat damage/failure and oxidation on a daily basis - not just at work.
Old 03-23-09, 11:14 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Haha, I know. I just moved on to a Makita 9227c

Honda is same as Lexus. Generally soft. I just finished an 07 Honda CRV just last week. The amount of passes is quite similar on that vehicle. Older Hondas I have no idea since I don't know of anyone on my street with one that would let me detail their car haha!
Old 03-23-09, 11:32 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

I did my neighbor/BFF's 07 Civic with Poorboy's PWC and Natty's, looked better than when he drove it home from the dealership - I waxed it a day after.

Next car - my parent's 2009 Prius with swirls on the hood, I made the bonehead mistake of using a red clay bar my idiot boss dropped on the ground. I believe Toyota doesn't clearcoat Super White II on these as well.

I'm a detailer at a dealership, but let's just say a boss who BSes more than he actually works and substandard products makes work interesting. Thankfully I have a decent detailing stash at home:
McCulloch rotary buffer
small Absorber dryer
Meguiar's backing plate, 3M wool+foam and orange CCS
Assorted chemicals from Meguiar's, Poorboy's, Klasse, 303, Production, and Menzerna
Clay Magic Blue clay bars
Microfibers, whatever Costco has
Old 03-24-09, 03:15 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how long did it take you to break the polish down? i'm using a pc but im sure the two will be close..i just got mine in today to see how it goes up with the m105 which i got alot of marring with
Old 03-24-09, 05:27 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Lucky, my Lexus dealership wont hire me despite having the best condition 2ES that goes to them
Old 03-24-09, 05:28 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by durtysc300
how long did it take you to break the polish down? i'm using a pc but im sure the two will be close..i just got mine in today to see how it goes up with the m105 which i got alot of marring with
IIRC, it should be around 1-2 minutes depending on how fast you move your buffer. Total was probably 2-3 complete passes. You should read up on the Kevin Brown method for M105 for a decent finish
Old 03-24-09, 05:53 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by durtysc300
Took me about 2-3 minutes at 1400RPM on a rotary, DA polishers like PCs will take longer but I feel it's a lot safer to use.
Old 03-24-09, 05:58 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Lucky, my Lexus dealership wont hire me despite having the best condition 2ES that goes to them
The stuff dealers use is really hit or miss - we use First Place Finish, P&S and Production at mine. First Place Finish's paint/fabric protector is a decent product, but their polishing compound sucks. Their bulk chemicals for the exception of their glass cleaner works pretty well. P&S is good, they make a decent wax and their Smart System compounds are reminiscent of Menzerna in a few ways. Production is hit or miss - their cleaners and body shine is awesome, so are their paste waxes. I've never used their polishes or compounds, but their AX313 which is a clone of P&S Hi-Tone Glaze isn't as "rich" to the eye on light colors, and I've used their Liquid Beauty on the same van I'm working on, it plain sucks.