Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

frustrated over tire dressing gumming up over time.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-09, 01:29 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts
Default frustrated over tire dressing gumming up over time.

I've tried many different products and have settle with Armor-All for the past fifteen years. I find it last the longest, but the one drawback is driving me crazy. After a few applications over a few month's time, a layer of black grease starts building up on the tire. When this happens, adding a fresh application no longer makes the tire shine. I've studied this phenomenon over time and concluded it's dust and dirt sticking to the dressing. It's on there so thick, only an SOS pad can remove it. Since I never put a hose to my car, that isn't an option and I dont' feel like scrubbing tires for hours. I also do not drive in the rain, further enabling the gook to stay on (road spray at speed removes it).
So I guess my question is this. Is there a tire dressing product that last as long as Armor-All, but doesn't attract dust and road grime build up? Or is that an oxymoron? When the stuff lasts and stays on there, I guess it's always going to be "sticky" and attrack garbage on it.
Any info or advice would help. I'm at my wits end and miss having that "as delivered look."
Old 03-26-09, 02:27 AM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it doesnt take long to scrub your tire with some APC every wash
Old 03-26-09, 05:20 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Clean/scrub with this: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...C+35+ounces.do

Then apply this: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=17

Works great! In order for the Z-16 to look good and last a long time you need to prep the tires to make sure there is no other products on them.
Old 03-26-09, 06:01 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

You really should clean your tires before applying a dressing. Several suggestions already listed will work. I use regular carwash soap and a moderately stiff brush. Using a stronger chemical tire cleaner strips the wax or sealant off the wheels and makes brake dust stick to the wheels.

My garage queen which never sees rain looks nice with Meguiar's Natural Shine. I use their HotShine product aerosol on my daily driver. Both seem to last a long time and dry on the tire so as not to get gummy.

With the Natural Shine I use old terrycloth toweling to apply and in the process I scrub off the old coating.

Last edited by jfelbab; 03-26-09 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-26-09, 08:00 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

+1 on Meguiars Hot Shine Aerosol. It definitely does not gum up as much and when applied properly and evently, splatter is not an issue.

I like to use the dealership/commercial water based tire dressings as an alternative.
Old 03-26-09, 08:58 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always been very happy w/ poorboys Bold n Bright. Nice matte finish and its durability is perfectly acceptable imo. I apply w/ a microfiber applicator pad to help clean as it dresses (plus it saves on waste vs spraying it on).
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com...-dressing.html

Last edited by Chris@GlimmerGlass; 03-26-09 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 03:54 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
I've always been very happy w/ poorboys Bold n Bright. Nice matte finish and its durable is perfectly acceptable imo. I apply w/ a microfiber applicator pad to help clean as it dresses (plus it saves on waste vs spraying it on).
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com...-dressing.html
I've settled on the Poorboy's as well, I can't find anything to complain about, which is more than I can say for most of the tire products I've tried. The other one that comes to mind with favorable memories is the Zaino. Like Chris said, it's water-based and is supposed to clean the tire a little when applied so hopefully it would help with the deposits you're getting.
Old 03-26-09, 08:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
+1 on Meguiars Hot Shine Aerosol. It definitely does not gum up as much and when applied properly and evently, splatter is not an issue.

I like to use the dealership/commercial water based tire dressings as an alternative.
I was going to bring up the dealership stuff. That is the only type that creates a new shine on my gunked up tires. Is there a standard type they all use? First my Audi dealership and now my Lexus dealership. Looks great, but I don't think it lasts as long (?).
Old 03-26-09, 08:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vincent123
it doesnt take long to scrub your tire with some APC every wash
I don't wash my car. And I am trying to avoid having to drag out a bucket and hose. When the tires get washed, the rims are going to lose their wax. But from the looks of what everyone has said, I may not have a choice. It's the lack of washing and lack of driving in the rain that's causing this longterm build up.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-26-09, 08:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
Clean/scrub with this: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...C+35+ounces.do

Then apply this: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...oduct_Count=17

Works great! In order for the Z-16 to look good and last a long time you need to prep the tires to make sure there is no other products on them.
Thanks for the two links. I really think the first one is what I need most. The second one sounds like it doesn't leave a vibrant shine... which is something I actually want.
Thank you kindly for the two links.
Old 03-26-09, 08:55 PM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would clean with a degreaser like P21S TAW then apply Swissvax Pneu on the tire...

Here is a complete kit we sell as well as take a look at the write up.

Uber Wheel Tire Wheel Well Kit
Old 03-26-09, 09:05 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I was going to bring up the dealership stuff. That is the only type that creates a new shine on my gunked up tires. Is there a standard type they all use? First my Audi dealership and now my Lexus dealership. Looks great, but I don't think it lasts as long (?).
Yeah some formulas are good, some get really built up after some mileage. There's not a standard formula per se, it's more of how diluted it is. Usually doesn't last as long as far as shine because most of them are water based, which is a good thing.
Old 03-26-09, 11:17 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meguiars Endurance Gel is quite good. I've used it for quite some time but I grew tired of it since it adds more gunk on the wheel that I have to clean off. Lasts weeks though I have to say, even outside on my ES it lasts...

I moved on to Zaino Z16 and Finish Kare #108 since they're water based dressings. Z16 has a slight gloss to it that lasts for quite some time. FK108 has shine the first day, then turns satin black for days. I'm on my 2nd week and its still satin black and my area had heavy rains this past weekend. Give either one a try, they work very well IME
Old 03-27-09, 12:49 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 Zaino Z16, I really like that stuff, if you wash your tires well Z16 sticks on and looks really good! I like that it's water based

Now something that impressed me lately,
Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax, I put it on after I washed my car, it looked all streaky but that's fine, next morning topped it off with some Zaino Z6 and man it looked really good, no streaks nothing but a really deep shine
Old 03-27-09, 05:02 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Thanks for the two links. I really think the first one is what I need most. The second one sounds like it doesn't leave a vibrant shine... which is something I actually want.
Thank you kindly for the two links.
No problem, glad to help. Griots also has another tire cleaner that is more intensive but I have not used it so cannot comment on it. Here is a link if you are interested.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...C+16+ounces.do

Quick Reply: frustrated over tire dressing gumming up over time.