Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Advice needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-09, 03:52 PM
DjBuddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed?

My uncle has 07 Obsidian Black Es350 which is his, and his wife has a a 08 red is250, he has asked me to wash and detail the cars for spring time for small fee . The surfaces in the cars are pretty smooth, so no need for clay bar. Now i never detailed dark paint cars, since all cars in my house hold are pretty bright colors, both silver. Here are the steps im planning to do

1.Wash with dawn
2.Wash with Maguires car soap
3.Use maguires scratch x2 as polish to remove any swirls or fine scratches
4.Use cleaner wax, dono if needed
5. Use wax for deep shine
6.Use maguires quick detailer for finish

NOw what polish and wax should i get, i have some old stuff, like zymol cleaner wax,maguires gold class.
I dont want to spend a forture on those products, what is pretty good in value and price? sorry for spelling and grammer errors, english isnt my first language
Old 03-26-09, 04:10 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, washing twice is overkill.

1)Wash
2)Polish
3)Paint Cleaner
4)Wax
5)QD

If you do not plan on claying.

Paint Cleaner will remove the excess oils left from the polish and prepare the surface for wax.

As per polish, if you are doing this by hand it is going to be hard.
Old 03-26-09, 05:19 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, I agree, washing 2x right after one another is overkill.

If you need a paintcleaner, p21s paintwork cleanser is the way to go. easy to use!
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/p2pacl.html

If you want a great wax that is reasonably priced, I have a couple of suggestions. Collinite 476s for starters. Extremely durable, looks great and priced very very well. http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/47sudoco.html

For something thats a little less durable, but still have great looks, take a look at poorboys Nattys Blue. Wont break the bank, and like I said, looks fantastic.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/nablpawax.html

Finally, take a look at Clearkotes Carnauba Moose Wax. I think it has awesome depth on dark colors.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/camowax.html
Old 03-27-09, 09:07 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow I posted in the wrong thread lol. All of the products Chris posted are great to use.

Last edited by PaPaHoFF; 03-27-09 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-28-09, 02:01 AM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

For me personally I would clay regardless if its pretty smooth or not. If im going to be spending the time to polish, clean wax, wax, and qd. Im not going to skip claying, that way I will make certain that the surface is indeed clean. Since im putting in the time and effort im not going to skip any steps.
Old 03-28-09, 04:07 AM
pickle
Rookie

I agree with edwinbomg. I would not skip the claying. If you pick up a small bit of crud of the rear lower quarter panels, you could induce a swirl that will take forever to polish out by hand. There is always small amounts of contaminants to be lifted, even if the surface feels smooth already.
If the time is what is concerning to the claying process, why not instead use something like poorboys polish with sealant, or poorboys polish with carnuba. while you would add the claying step, the polish and waxing/sealing step could be combined with an all in one process like this, keeping the overall process time about equal.
Another wax to consider if you want something you can buy over the counter, would be meguires NTX wax. looks pretty good on black and red.
I like Chris' suggestion of Natty's blue paste wax, but instead of blue, I would recommend the limited edition RED! Looks beautiful on dark colors, AND silvers, so you could use it on your own cars too! I don't know if Chris has any red in stock though.
Old 03-28-09, 06:09 AM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

I would say clay the car if you are planning to go full out on the others.
Old 03-28-09, 06:32 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF
Wow I posted in the wrong thread lol. All of the products Chris posted are great to use.
Originally Posted by pickle
I agree with edwinbomg. I would not skip the claying. If you pick up a small bit of crud of the rear lower quarter panels, you could induce a swirl that will take forever to polish out by hand. There is always small amounts of contaminants to be lifted, even if the surface feels smooth already.
If the time is what is concerning to the claying process, why not instead use something like poorboys polish with sealant, or poorboys polish with carnuba. while you would add the claying step, the polish and waxing/sealing step could be combined with an all in one process like this, keeping the overall process time about equal.
Another wax to consider if you want something you can buy over the counter, would be meguires NTX wax. looks pretty good on black and red.
I like Chris' suggestion of Natty's blue paste wax, but instead of blue, I would recommend the limited edition RED! Looks beautiful on dark colors, AND silvers, so you could use it on your own cars too! I don't know if Chris has any red in stock though.

I do have some Red left too actually!
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/naredpawaxle.html