Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Swirl-Free by hand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-09, 08:52 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eyezack87
I would probably advise against using ScratchX 1.0 on your whole car. Considering how soft Lexus clearcoats are, I thought it would be easy in my early days. Unfortunately, 2 hours later and one hell of a sore arm, I got a 60% reduction of imperfections on almost 1/2 my trunk . Its what made me buy my PC

Most likely its much easier with Ultimate Compound, Swirl X, and ScratchX 2.0 though
*cough* and now someone can only polish one side of their car
Old 04-12-09, 09:53 PM
808_JDM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like other have said trying to do a paint correction by hand is just plain crazy. To do one car would take you forever,literally. Even with a PC it will take you a good amount of time, I mean more then a few hours. Save you body and get a DA, I would suggest a flex.
Old 04-12-09, 10:25 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

You mean Rotary..a PC is a DA...
But be advised a Rotary can burn through the paint.
Old 04-13-09, 07:10 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

FWIW, Since using the new micro-abrasive technology products, specifically #105 compound and #205 polish, I've not used my Makita rotary. I can now get the same results, quickly, with a DA (PC) without any holograms and no risk of paint damage. The DA, IMHO, is now preferable as it is safer and can match the results of a rotary in the same time frame.
Old 04-13-09, 02:43 PM
MyfirstES
Driver

Hey OCdetailer, how far are you from Orange County? Maybe you could show me what I'm doing wrong then.
Old 04-13-09, 05:40 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

we had this discussion before about 5 hrs. Road Trip!

i would be glad to help. You arent nessecarily doing anything "Wrong".

The way I look at detailing is:

The only right way to do it is the way the Experts do. The problem is, everyone has their own techniques, so there are ALOT of ways to do it right. 70% of people do not even wash their cars. 90% of the 30% that do, apply no wax other than what the "Laser Wash" applies. 8% apply wax every 6 months, like Nu-finish or eqivalent, and the rest, do it like we do.

The only completely WRONG way, is the way that makes it look worse than it did when you started, or not doing anything at all.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 04-13-09 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-13-09, 06:04 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jfelbab
FWIW, Since using the new micro-abrasive technology products, specifically #105 compound and #205 polish, I've not used my Makita rotary. I can now get the same results, quickly, with a DA (PC) without any holograms and no risk of paint damage. The DA, IMHO, is now preferable as it is safer and can match the results of a rotary in the same time frame.
I've tried both; the Rotary is more efficient..Yet I will say the dual-action does a good job.
Old 04-13-09, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Try SCRATCH-OUT. I've had excellent luck with it over the years, for many kinds of surface scratches and paint problems. It is also inexpensive as well.

Old 04-14-09, 03:34 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Where can i get a good DA at?
Old 04-14-09, 05:19 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Online; or one of the CL vendors..I like the Meguiars G110 a lot
Old 04-14-09, 09:36 PM
808_JDM
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
You mean Rotary..a PC is a DA...
But be advised a Rotary can burn through the paint.
If you are referring to me. I know the PC is a DA. And when I said Flex I ment the DA version for him not the rotary version.
Old 04-14-09, 09:51 PM
808_JDM
Driver

Originally Posted by OCDetailer
The way I look at detailing is:

The only right way to do it is the way the Experts do. The problem is, everyone has their own techniques, so there are ALOT of ways to do it right. 70% of people do not even wash their cars. 90% of the 30% that do, apply no wax other than what the "Laser Wash" applies. 8% apply wax every 6 months, like Nu-finish or eqivalent, and the rest, do it like we do.

The only completely WRONG way, is the way that makes it look worse than it did when you started, or not doing anything at all.
Well I mean this with all do respect. There is no way you can do a full paint correction by hand and be a "Pro". It is not cost effective to do this, on top of you not being able to get good paint correction with that method. I would love someone to do a full paint correction on Audi clear.

But I do agree that most people do not even wash there car correctly, and they just keep adding wax.

Also that is true about there is no real wrong way if you are getting better results then what you started with...UNLESS you are charging for a professional service and not adjusting your rate accordingly to the level of service.

Have a good one.
Old 04-14-09, 10:10 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Or people just add fillers...
And be glad Lexus folk that Toyota does not use ceramic clears yet..Well at least the people that detail...those things are a pain to get swirls out of..yet also very tough to swirl
Old 04-15-09, 02:56 AM
808_JDM
Driver

Yes yes it is. Lexus is some soft..
Old 04-15-09, 07:13 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 808_JDM
Well I mean this with all do respect. There is no way you can do a full paint correction by hand and be a "Pro". It is not cost effective to do this, on top of you not being able to get good paint correction with that method. I would love someone to do a full paint correction on Audi clear.

But I do agree that most people do not even wash there car correctly, and they just keep adding wax.

Also that is true about there is no real wrong way if you are getting better results then what you started with...UNLESS you are charging for a professional service and not adjusting your rate accordingly to the level of service.

Have a good one.
I have used machines in the past, I dont currently have one. I used to do this for a living. Now that I am in the army, I just do it on the side. It is a matter of technique. You can get the same results by hand (in SOME, not all, cases) that you can with a machine, it just takes quite a bit longer. I do have a couple of orbitals (a 6" and a 10") but neither does the job like a PC or G110.

The results are there, it can be done, just takes time.

Obviously for heavy swirls and paint correction you would be wise to use a DA, but if you have the time to kill, the proper products and dont mind good, old-fashioned hard WORK, you can get swirl free or 98% swirl free by hand.

Or you could do like I did and start with a swirl free finish (on my Civic), and just keep it that way by hand. <---- This way is much easier. As far as charging goes, I charge what I deem fair, and I dont accept money until the job is complete...at which point If I dont think I got good enough results, I either Lower the price, give some of the money back, or if they insist, I give them a certificate for a free/discounted repeat service. I'm not some scam artist. If I have a customer bring me a car and I dont think I can get the results I would want on MY car because I dont have the tools, then I wont take the job, or at the very least I can inform them up front of the likelyhood that they wont get the most that they could. If they are still ok with working with me then, then I dont say no. And Cost effectiveness? Its my hobby now, not a business. I do it for fun. I do maybe 2 cars a month now. Now, if you were a full fledged business like I used to be, then yeah, doing 4/5/6 cars a week by hand would get old quick.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 04-15-09 at 07:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Swirl-Free by hand?