Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Fixing scratches

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-09, 08:12 PM
youngim87
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Fixing scratches

Today when I was taking my laundry basket out of my trunk the metal leg on it put a semi deep scratch on the top of my bumper. The metal leg was painted white and there is a white 2'' long but thin line(probably less than 1 mm wide) scratched. I'm pretty sure it went through the clear coat because when I use my finger nail to see how deep it is, I can feel a groove in the paint. I dont think it went through the paint though, but I'm not sure because the scratch is white.

My question is which DIY product would be best in removing/fixing/covering up the scratch?

I have heard that the 3M Rubbing compound, Scratch X, and Quixx car care products work well, but mostly people with scrapes and large scratches use these products. I'm not sure if it will help with my scratch because it is thin, short, and semi deep.

I am considering on buying a custom mixed paint pen and clear coat to fill in the scratch: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/sto...n_matched.aspx

Has anyone had any success with a specific product on removing scratches similar to mine or any pointers for me to fixing the scratch? Thanks
Old 04-04-09, 11:44 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it went through the clearcoat, your best bet would be to touch up, wetsand, then buff it. If you do not have experience with all the steps, I would recommend going to a pro
Old 04-05-09, 05:24 AM
youngim87
Driver School Candidate

hmm im not too sure if it went all the way through the clear coat, but if there is more than 2 or 3 layers of clear coat i dont think it went all the way through. kinda hard to tell because there was white paint on the metal which made the scratch white also. It is not a very deep gash, just enough to hear and feel a line when running your fingernail through the area.

anyone know of a great non-abrasive scratch remover. I have heard 3M rubbing compound is a bit abrasive
Old 04-05-09, 12:20 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Try an agressive claybar; then apply some ultimate detailing compound and scratch X last
Old 04-05-09, 03:37 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, hold on...will these products work on the bumper? This is a soft plastic...is the finish susceptible to marring that is different than the metal paint finish?
Old 04-05-09, 04:04 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Its all about the same, the paint on the edges of the bumpers aren't on there too well..
When doing bumpers I usually switch from my Makita to my porter cable, and do not go higher than an orange pad.
Old 04-05-09, 04:11 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

LTURBO...OK, I have a few light white scratches on my navy blue GS350 rear bumper. Can I use Scratch-X to remove them? No risk of additional damage...that is swirling on the bumper surface?
Old 04-05-09, 04:54 PM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

you can try to use scratchX on there..but try using light pressure first if not use more pressure then you will have to buff it out but dont go trying to rip the bumper off or anything like that. just gradually add more pressure until you see results. if not you may have to go with something stronger. check to see what version scratchX you have...V2 works better than V1
Old 04-05-09, 06:35 PM
youngim87
Driver School Candidate

i do not have much experience with detailing and have no tools to do so either. is the consensus for bumper scratches to use scratch-X? Is scratch-x non-abrasive because I dont want to do more damage to my bumper paint and end up having swirl marks in the area.
Old 04-06-09, 06:31 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

You can try using Ultimate Detailing Compound then going to scratch-x to finish the small marring marks caused by UDC.

Theres a chart by meguiars to show what's the most aggressive to the least.
Old 04-06-09, 06:35 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Also here's what you can do with some UDC( Ultimate Detailing compound)+ a soft clean foam pad:

After 3 applications of it:

After a few more tries:

Hopefully that helps (and it was done by hand) at a class taught by Mike Phelps at Meguiars.
Old 04-06-09, 07:34 AM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
Also here's what you can do with some UDC( Ultimate Detailing compound)+ a soft clean foam pad:

After 3 applications of it:

After a few more tries:

Hopefully that helps (and it was done by hand) at a class taught by Mike Phelps at Meguiars.

Which product is this in the pictures above?
Old 04-06-09, 08:47 AM
MyfirstES
Driver

GS4: that was Ultimate Compound. Available in Walmart, Target and Auto Zone.

Lexusscturbo: You are on MOL? Do you use the same name as on here?
Old 04-06-09, 09:38 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

I think I use Jay J as my handle there.
Old 04-06-09, 12:45 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, please post a close up shot of the damage. I'm sure that will help you more than just blurting out products

Quick Reply: Fixing scratches