Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Car just got repainted...where do we go from here?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-09, 07:38 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car just got repainted...where do we go from here?

Hello ladies and gentlemen....

My car is in the body shop as we speak- getting all of the dents and imperfections pulled and corrected, and then eventually repainted. Since this is obviously a significant investment I want to do what I can to protect the paint for many years to come. I click through the detailing forum every now and then and have seen some of the threads on clay-baring and other methods but I want to know specifically what I can do to maintain the car once I get it back.

I live in an apartment complex so my car spends most of it's time outside. With that said, I park the car under the parking deck to avoid harsh heat in the summer, standing rain water (acid rain) and what other little bit of protection that can offer, though I know it isn't much.

What are some of the steps that need to be taken to care for fresh paint?

What additional steps do I need to take in maintaining the paint since my car "lives" outside?

Can anyone provide specific names and brands of shampoos and waxes that are preferrable?

Lastly, I have a lot of ToyoGuard Paint Sealant. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this product?

Thanks
Old 04-06-09, 09:07 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Ask the place where you got you paint job or ask around the internet when it is safe to put a wax/sealant on your car. You may have to wait some time before the paint is cured, not sure. When you wash your car, use two buckets. One for carwash, one with water to rinse your rag after doing each panel. Get microfiber rags or mits and microfiber towels. When washing the car do not put any pressure on the rags and don't move them around quickly. When drying don't rub hard or go fast either. Once the car is clean then you need a good sealant/wax. You should not need to claybar your car just after your car gets painted.

I would highly recommend Zaino for protection/durability. All you need is the Zaino AIO(All in One) and Z2 or Z5 and maybe some Z8 to stray on between coats. Jeff Werkstatt and Klass make some very good durable sealants too. There is also a product called Colonite 476S which offers some of the best protection available and best thing of all it is inexpensive and very easy to apply and remove.

As for clear bras I am not sure when it is safe to put those on after a paintjob and in some cases they have ruined the finish they were supposed to be protecting when they were taken off.

If you don't have access to a hose at your apartment and can't rinse your car off you may want to try a product called Optimum No Rinse. It works very well.
Old 04-06-09, 12:47 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, my body shop requested that I do not wax the paint for about 2 months or so. During that time, all I did was glaze the panels every week to give it "some" protection. Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze works well and also lets the paint continue to outgas
Old 04-06-09, 05:51 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typically you will need to wait 30 - 90 days before you can seal or wax the paint. I suggest contacting the body shop for a more specific guideline.

Probably the most important step in maintaining a pristine looking finish is a proper washing and drying routine. Most swirls and ultra fine scratches are added during this process. I highly recommend you read our Detailing Guide to learn more about the two bucket method and more. As for products I really like our selection of products included in our Washing and Drying Starter Kit. It has all the essentials for a safe and effective wash and dry process.

After the proper amount of time (30 - 90 days) you can then protect the paint with a sealant and/or wax. If you can only choose one I prefer sealants unless you are going to re-apply the wax every two weeks or so. My personal favorite for sealants is the Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 and for the best value try the Chemical Guys M-Seal. The Jetseal 109 is extremely durable, looks great on all colors and applies with ease. The M-Seal is a great value and is a top quality sealant. These sealants can be applied by hand or with a buffer. Just apply nice thin coats and you should only need about 1oz per coat. For more directions I again suggest reading our Detailing Guide.

If desired you can add more protection and gloss with a wax on top of the sealant but it's not a must. If desired I would suggest looking at the Chemical Guys 50/50 Paste Wax or any of the Dodo Juice waxes. If you want a great value try the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue or the Natty's Red Paste Wax.

If you would like any more information about these products or anything related to detailing please let me know I'd be happy to help. Additionally we offer 10% off on these items with the coupon code 10offCL. I hope this info was helpful and I look forward to hearing from you again!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-06-09, 07:51 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Hello ladies and gentlemen....

My car is in the body shop as we speak- getting all of the dents and imperfections pulled and corrected, and then eventually repainted. Since this is obviously a significant investment I want to do what I can to protect the paint for many years to come. I click through the detailing forum every now and then and have seen some of the threads on clay-baring and other methods but I want to know specifically what I can do to maintain the car once I get it back.

I live in an apartment complex so my car spends most of it's time outside. With that said, I park the car under the parking deck to avoid harsh heat in the summer, standing rain water (acid rain) and what other little bit of protection that can offer, though I know it isn't much.

What are some of the steps that need to be taken to care for fresh paint?

What additional steps do I need to take in maintaining the paint since my car "lives" outside?

Can anyone provide specific names and brands of shampoos and waxes that are preferrable?

Lastly, I have a lot of ToyoGuard Paint Sealant. Does anyone have any experience or advice on this product?

Thanks
I agree w/ eyezack. If you want to use something, I personally wouldnt go more than a glaze for quite a few months, and would then maybe consider a move to a carnauba after that. I guess I might be a little cautious though. I've repainted 2 vehicles in my time, and I just wouldnt want to have to redo the paintwork again b/c I jumped the gun applying stuff too soon. I think everyone can agree on getting the body shops opinion as well, but just play it safe, I'm sure you're dropping some good money on the work right now.
Anyway, I'll shoot you that pm in a few
Old 04-06-09, 11:52 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the bodyshop I worked at, we would only use Meguiars No-7 Glaze on newly painted surfaces because it didnt last long and allowed the paint to dry without sealing it up.
I would wait until you cant smell it anymore, leave it outside in the sun if possible, wash as needed, but be extra careful.
What kind of paint did you get on the car? Is it expoxy based airplane paint, or what ? Did the shop dry it with heat lamps, etc?? Assume they rubbed it out, so its really smooth, clear, and no problems, right ?
I would be careful if you are going to apply a clear bra, because if you have to pull it off for any reason, it may pull paint with it. This would not happen on factory paint as easily because they bake it on, etc.. If you do a clearbra, dont plan on ever having to remove it, if possible...
I have also had great success with Zaino products, and their Clear Seal product over their Z-2, Z-5 and AIO products is said to last up to 9 months.
Up here where I live, it rains, hails, and snows alot more than ever, and after a year, I have to apply Zaino again to the cars that stay outside, but I could go a year, and they still looked good, but were losing beading on the top surfaces only. Now that, is long-term protection, and is the reason I chose this product.
Good luck with your project !
DanF