Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

White wax residue buildup.. how do I get rid of it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-02, 02:51 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White wax residue buildup.. how do I get rid of it?

I have a bit of wax and polish built up on my car's edges.. I took some of it off with baking soda, but I don't trust it. Anyone had luck with getting that stuff off the car?
Old 03-14-02, 05:40 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use DAWN..I just followed the instruction on Zaino. It worked
I used apple scent, so after all it did smell like apple :P
Old 03-14-02, 06:42 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Hi Madmax!
I agree. A nice stiff bucket full of hot water and 1/2 bottle of Dawn Dishwashing detergent will work wonders at stripping off old wax. Dawn really emulsifies the old wax. I might add that a good clay bar would be also a smart thing to do. I used a strong solution of Dawn and Water with the clay bar after the initial washings (two).

A word of caution however, the car will look like "shid" after you get the old wax layers off. If you are going to do this process, I would suggest you do the Zaino #1 + #2 treatment. If you have any swirls in the clearcoat then Zaino #5 could be in order to fill in the swirl marks. You will be amazed at the results. Its alot of work though but once its done, you be ... happy.
Old 03-14-02, 11:41 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info. I don't think I can find Zaino around here, so I just use Meguiar's polishes. I assume it strips the wax?
Old 03-14-02, 01:11 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Originally posted by MadMaxSC400
Thanks for the info. I don't think I can find Zaino around here, so I just use Meguiar's polishes. I assume it strips the wax?
I do not know much about Meguiar's products so I do not know if they have a wax stripper. Zaino is for the most part a direct order item. You can print off their FAQ and order form at...

www.zainobros.com

I have always ordered mine direct from them in the mail. Good service and super results on the SC400.
Old 03-14-02, 01:45 PM
joelchicago
Rookie

If by "edges" you mean cracks, creases, etc, go buy a soft 1" or 2" paintbrush, cut it down to about 1/4 inch, and lightly brush it out of the creases. This is a trick I've used now for 10 years. No wax stripping, and no residue.

If you are talking about wax on the body itself, dish detergent does the trick cheap and easy. Don't ever use it to wash your car regularly though!!!!!!

If anyone is interested, I have had a detailing guide for dummies up on my site for years now (put together since it was my side business at the time). It uses Meguiars stuff for wax/clean/polish since I'm not usually catering to guys who already know about Zaino and clay bars!! I know it's need of an update too, as I now use Meguiars gel on my tires and stuff, but.... Anyway, if you're interested, it's the detailing guide link on my page - www.krooswyk.com. With that information, I made a few bucks on cars over the years. Everybody loves a shiny car.

Happy detailing!
Joel
Old 03-14-02, 01:52 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

You guys are awesome. Great info!
Old 03-14-02, 01:53 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is something that I lightly dubbed "wax burn". You see it alot on weekend waxers that use whatever has the fanciest package at Wal-mart. I always like to "Q-Tip" a vehicle afterwards, to fight wax burn. The foam brush sounds like a good idea as well. I just use it as an excuse to wax the insides of the doors and trunk as well. Nothing screams DIRTY CAR worse than dirty door jams and crap between the door sill and the pass. seat.