Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Blending & Pimples

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-09, 10:30 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blending & Pimples

I have a new question a little outside the scope of my last thread, and I could use some advice/terminology help.

1. Could someone explain blending (as it pertains to autobody work). My dealership repainted my door and supposedly blended it into the back door and front panel. The only thing I noticed is that when they tried to address my orange peel issue they buffed the rear door and front panel. Is that all blending is?

2. I have some blemishes on my new paint that I could only describe as paint pimples. Is there a technical term for this? Any chance of that buffing out?

Thanks for everyone's advice/opinions in advance. :-)
Old 04-20-09, 11:31 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. As far as I know...to blend a panel, is to scuff, and chemically burn and add a promoter to the old panel(s), (the promoter then helps fuse (1 layer or 2 of the new paint) and the new clear coat....

2. As far as paint blemishes, wait till the paint is cured then wetsand it..Hopefully its just the clear coat that's defected and they did spray a lot of clear.
Old 04-21-09, 11:37 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
1. As far as I know...to blend a panel, is to scuff, and chemically burn and add a promoter to the old panel(s), (the promoter then helps fuse (1 layer or 2 of the new paint) and the new clear coat....

2. As far as paint blemishes, wait till the paint is cured then wetsand it..Hopefully its just the clear coat that's defected and they did spray a lot of clear.
1. Interesting. Thanks for the info. Sounds kind of harsh.

2. I'm not much for wetsanding (since I don't know what it is), so I'm going to talk to the dealership tomorrow and see what the can do.

Thanks for your insight!
Old 04-26-09, 08:15 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

When we used to paint a panel and blend into the next one, we first buffed out with compound the panel that was going to be blended into, then cleaned everything with something like Dupont 3912S PrepSol, to remove any oils, etc., paint the damaged, primed, blocked, panel, and then start thinning down the paint and start fogging the thinned down paint into the next panel to "blend" the new color into the existing color so that there would not be as much of a color mismatch. This is after you try your hardest to match the color of the new, factory pack paint with the existing color.
What probably happened, is that the painter painted with too much air and not enough product, so it went on too dry, the solvents were not on there long enough to "flow out" and soak into the existing paint.
You absolutely need to take it back to those guys, and tell them their finish does not match the rest of the car, so they either have to wetsand it down and rebuff it, so it all matches, or do it over.
I would never, absolutely never, let a car go out looking mismatched like that.
The new and old paint have to look as close to the same as possible.
Make sure you talk to the boss of the place and not some dis-interested person, etc..
Good luck with this.
DanF
Old 04-27-09, 08:57 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stokdgs
What probably happened, is that the painter painted with too much air and not enough product, so it went on too dry, the solvents were not on there long enough to "flow out" and soak into the existing paint.
You absolutely need to take it back to those guys, and tell them their finish does not match the rest of the car, so they either have to wetsand it down and rebuff it, so it all matches, or do it over.
I would never, absolutely never, let a car go out looking mismatched like that.
The new and old paint have to look as close to the same as possible.
Make sure you talk to the boss of the place and not some dis-interested person, etc..
Good luck with this.
DanF
I'll be taking back this week when a part i ordered comes in. I really appreciate your input!