Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

DA Polisher

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-09, 07:33 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

And so I decided to get the PC from Chris. Great Guy! Great Customer Service! I received my order already! Thanks Chris! Can't wait to use it!
Old 05-06-09, 10:59 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

As a "detailing" newbie (complete and total newbie; let's be clear), I have a question.

First, if at all possible, please don't laugh...or slam...although you may feel it necessary to do one/both.

First, I own only one car that's worth keeping clean, shiny and nice.
Second, I'm NOT a professional car detailer. I anticipate using this once or twice a year.
Third, I live on the 10th floor of a Condo building, with underground parking. This is the most important point. There is NO OPTION for using a corded polisher. My car is parked 3 floors underground, 100 ft from the nearest wall...no outlets. There are no outlets anywhere near the back parking area that I am allowed to use to work on the car. And there's no way I can run an extension cord from my Condo (on the 10th) down to the car. I HAVE to go with a cordless model...simply no other option.

I give all of that information in an attempt to forstall the "You really should get a corded polisher"..."A corded polisher will give you much better results"..."If there's any way you can find to use a corded polisher..."

I get it... Amps...power...the whole thing. I get it. But I can't.

I have two choices; a cordless model, or polish the car by hand. That's it.

That being said, I found this Craftsman cordless polisher. It's fairly inexpensive but, it doesn't come with batteries or a charger (the polisher is about $35.00...the battery/charger setup is about $100.00...an additional battery is another $30.00)
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+%26+Polishers

Is this a complete and utter waste of time/money?...or, given my situation, a usable option?
Old 05-06-09, 11:04 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Wow. 10th FLOOR?! That SUCKS!

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 05-06-09 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-06-09, 11:12 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
You don't have a garage? or no way you can park it near your house?
LOL...I knew I couldn't put enough disclaimers in my original post!

I park in an underground community parking garage. I don't have a "house", it's a condo (think high-rise apartment).

I can't even "go to a friend's house" easily. The only friend I have that has an actual 1-stall garage...is about an hour away.
Old 05-06-09, 12:28 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Your only case is to borrow a friend's garage. Also ask him to help you out with the detailing while your at it.
Old 05-06-09, 03:45 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but a battery powered buffer will not be able to achieve paint correction. THey just don't have enough power. You can use one to apply wax but not remove swirls and other paint defects. You will probably be better off to pay a pro to detail your car once or twice a year. Sounds like you may have difficulty in properly washing your car as well.
Old 05-06-09, 05:05 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Habious, have you considered asking one of your friends to borrow their driveway for the day? You can pay them back by a wash/wax of their car or something. Its what I would do if I could...

OR

Just pick up a bottle of M105 and get ready to put some "passion" behind it. Expect a couple hours by hand with that stuff thats all
Old 05-06-09, 10:07 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
And so I decided to get the PC from Chris. Great Guy! Great Customer Service! I received my order already! Thanks Chris! Can't wait to use it!
Thanks Enjoy everything!!

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Habious, have you considered asking one of your friends to borrow their driveway for the day? You can pay them back by a wash/wax of their car or something. Its what I would do if I could...

OR

Just pick up a bottle of M105 and get ready to put some "passion" behind it. Expect a couple hours by hand with that stuff thats all
I agree! Call up a buddy and ask/beg to use his place for a day. Either that, or try to get a detail day going w/ some friends on the forum.. something along those lines.
105 is definitely an option.. but it'll feel like an eternity going by hand unfortunately. Maybe make a weekend out of it. If you decide to go this route, we do have 105 in stock and ready to go.. http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/migl1ulcutco.html
Old 05-06-09, 10:34 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

I'm looking forward about your portable pc bro. I spend couple hours today using the scratch x 2.0 and quixx. let me know how it go so i can buy the DA polisher too man.
Old 05-06-09, 10:36 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by phis250
I'm looking forward about your portable pc bro. I spend couple hours today using the scratch x 2.0 and quixx. let me know how it go so i can buy the DA polisher too man.
Let me know if you have any questions about the porter cable. Feel free to ask here, pm, email or call
Old 05-06-09, 11:36 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

I have a few questions. How hard is it to use the DA polisher? I don't want to ruin my paint. I'm new to the detailing world

I spent two hours on applying the scratch x 2.0. I can still see the scratch. I know is not deep, but after all the scrubbing I gave up. You think after buying the portable cable willl it help me remove swirls, and other flaws?
Old 05-07-09, 12:47 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

On the serious car detailing forums, a vast majority take a liking to Porter Cable. Have one myself and seems to do the job well. Cannot comment on the others.
A DA is not meant for deep scratches and the compound and pad you select make a world of difference.
Old 05-07-09, 06:29 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by phis250
I have a few questions. How hard is it to use the DA polisher? I don't want to ruin my paint. I'm new to the detailing world

I spent two hours on applying the scratch x 2.0. I can still see the scratch. I know is not deep, but after all the scrubbing I gave up. You think after buying the portable cable willl it help me remove swirls, and other flaws?
honestly, its really not too bad. As with anything new, theres a short learning curve, but I dont think I've ever heard of someone complaining that they couldnt do it, or figure it out, ... or anything like that. Usually after a couple of panels you have the hang of it. And the nice thing about the Porter Cable is that its really the safest of any of the machines worth using for polishing/detailing.
Now, as for the scratch and whether it'll remove it. If you can feel the scratch w/ your fingernail, chances are you wont be able to remove it, but can at a minimum, improve its appearance. Polishing by machine will certainly allow you to remove more defects than you can by hand though. For one, it generates more heat than you can by hand, allowing you to use stronger polishes. I recommend using the 5.5" pads w/ the porter cable as I believe they do a better job than the larger 6.5 pads.
I would say to start w/ an orange pad which is a light cut pad. Pair it w/ a good compound or heavy polish and then follow it up w/ a white polishing pad and polish. The poorboys products and optimum products are very popular and we do have them paired together w/ the porter cable. If you wanted to go w/ a little bit of a stronger compound, consider meguiars 105. This isnt necessarily new, but it is a very popular product that gets outstanding reviews for its ability to remove swirls and scratches on the porter cable. You could pick up the porter cable starter kit along w/ the 105 and an orange pad as well as a finishing polish (ie: optimum polish II) if you'd like to go that route.
poorboys and optimum:
Poorboys PC Kit
Optimum PC Kit

M105, starter kit, 5.5" pads and polishes:
M105
Porter Cable Starter Kit
5.5" CCS Pads
List of Polishes & Compounds

Last edited by Chris@GlimmerGlass; 05-07-09 at 06:32 AM.