Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

DA Polisher

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-09, 05:11 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts
Default DA Polisher

Any suggestions on which brand to confidentially get? New to this DA thing, willing to try it. Been waxing cars by hand oh so boringly. Let's share some experiences shall we?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meguiar's doesn't do lifetime warranty anymore.
Old 04-23-09, 05:40 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you live somewhere by Mission Viejo then I can see if I can borrow my friends Flex so you can test both the Flex and PC out. However, most recommend the Flex over the PC nowadays. Personally, I enjoyed my PC more than my friends Flex since it was more versatile in tighter areas
Old 04-23-09, 06:47 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eyezack87
If you live somewhere by Mission Viejo then I can see if I can borrow my friends Flex so you can test both the Flex and PC out. However, most recommend the Flex over the PC nowadays. Personally, I enjoyed my PC more than my friends Flex since it was more versatile in tighter areas
I work in Lake Forest, as a Smog Technician. Let me know if you need a smog. But I don't think I would be interested in a Flex because it's too expensive. I mean, I want a DA because I'm getting lazy and waxing by hand is oh so boringly you know. So, I'm new to this DA thing and just wondering what average brand should I get that's all.
Old 04-23-09, 06:57 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Any suggestions on which brand to confidentially get? New to this DA thing, willing to try it. Been waxing cars by hand oh so boringly. Let's share some experiences shall we?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HUH!?!?!?!

Meguiars...What have you done?! That was a KEY selling point for your G100/110...
Old 04-23-09, 07:57 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

It depends on what your goal are and the current condition of the paint. I would say the Porter Cable 7424 and the Flex XC 3401 VRG would be the tow best options for you. They are both quite safe and easy to use while highly effective. We offer some outstanding packages as well if you click on the packages link. The main difference with these two buffers with regards to performance is that the Flex has more cutting power. You can remove about 90%+ of the imperfections with the Flex where as the PC 7424 can only remove about 50% -70% of the imperfections (ball park figures). If you have any other questions please let me know I'd be happy to help.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-23-09, 09:57 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replied to your pm

Going w/ a porter cable machine is a great choice imo. It really cuts down on the time you spend vs doing it by hand, and you can certainly be more effective this way as well . And it has a pretty easy learning curve too imo. After the first time you use it you'll wonder why it took so long to take the plunge in first place
Old 04-23-09, 10:34 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

I work in Lake Forest, as a Smog Technician. Let me know if you need a smog. But I don't think I would be interested in a Flex because it's too expensive. I mean, I want a DA because I'm getting lazy and waxing by hand is oh so boringly you know. So, I'm new to this DA thing and just wondering what average brand should I get that's all.
I live in RSM. You are welcome to come by sometime to play with my PC and rotary since you don't want the Flex. I have a Jag bootlid in my backyard that I practice on when I feel like polishing something
Old 04-23-09, 10:41 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

my G110 just died on me couple weeks ago. called meguiars CS and they told me to send it back and they'll send me a knew one...still waiting on that.
Old 04-23-09, 11:39 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
my G110 just died on me couple weeks ago. called meguiars CS and they told me to send it back and they'll send me a knew one...still waiting on that.
Meguiar's G110 just died a couple weeks ago?! Product is affordable but sounds like not durable for long.

Porter Cable is safe and only removes 50-70% swirls. Price is higher than Meguiar's G110.

Flex is superior, removes 90% swirls but price is way above the products above.

NO OFFENSE to VENDORS. Just brainstorming.

Still deciding what to get....
Old 04-23-09, 11:40 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

I will post up some pics for you guys to see my car's condition. Been using Meguiar's Tech Wax 2.0 like forever. Very good product for deep gloss but not soo good with hiding the swirls.
Old 04-23-09, 11:46 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yea i owned it for like a year...had some issues with it. counterweight screws loosened while i was polishing, and polisher just lost power and died.
Old 04-24-09, 12:09 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
yea i owned it for like a year...had some issues with it. counterweight screws loosened while i was polishing, and polisher just lost power and died.
Oh that's not good to hear. Perhaps the PC I should get then? But let me post up my pics first.
Old 04-24-09, 07:10 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Meguiar's G110 just died a couple weeks ago?! Product is affordable but sounds like not durable for long.

Porter Cable is safe and only removes 50-70% swirls. Price is higher than Meguiar's G110.

Flex is superior, removes 90% swirls but price is way above the products above.

NO OFFENSE to VENDORS. Just brainstorming.

Still deciding what to get....
Let me add my 2 cents. My PC is 12 years old. I've used it on over 3,000 vehicles and I'd call it damn rugged. The power cord has been replaced and I've had a few sets of brushes replaced over the years but it works as well today as it did when I bought it.

The statement about it only removing 50-70% of the defects is rubbish, IMO. If you add "in the same alloted time" then that would make more sense as the PC is not as powerful as a Flex but you can still remove ALL of the swirling. It just takes a little longer. The PC just became much more effective as the new SMAT technology polishes arrived on the market. This tool can now do corrections that used to require a rotary buffer.

The Flex is a great tool. Lighter and more powerful than a PC but at a hefty price delta. You need to decide how much extra this is worth to YOU. If I were to replace my PC today I'd buy another PC.

Another advantage the PC has is that it can take different sized pads. The Flex cannot.

The G110, like the UDM... are relative new tools and the early units had some issues. I don't know just how durable these will be in the long run. I believe the UDM is now made by Porter-Cable.

In hindsight, I'd say that the PC was the best investment in auto detailing tools I've ever made and would buy it again without hesitation. I also have a Makita 9227 rotary that I now seldom use. A fine tool but not needed for the vehicles I choose to detail these days.
Old 04-24-09, 11:12 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Let me add my 2 cents. My PC is 12 years old. I've used it on over 3,000 vehicles and I'd call it damn rugged. The power cord has been replaced and I've had a few sets of brushes replaced over the years but it works as well today as it did when I bought it.

The statement about it only removing 50-70% of the defects is rubbish, IMO. If you add "in the same alloted time" then that would make more sense as the PC is not as powerful as a Flex but you can still remove ALL of the swirling. It just takes a little longer. The PC just became much more effective as the new SMAT technology polishes arrived on the market. This tool can now do corrections that used to require a rotary buffer.

The Flex is a great tool. Lighter and more powerful than a PC but at a hefty price delta. You need to decide how much extra this is worth to YOU. If I were to replace my PC today I'd buy another PC.

Another advantage the PC has is that it can take different sized pads. The Flex cannot.

The G110, like the UDM... are relative new tools and the early units had some issues. I don't know just how durable these will be in the long run. I believe the UDM is now made by Porter-Cable.

In hindsight, I'd say that the PC was the best investment in auto detailing tools I've ever made and would buy it again without hesitation. I also have a Makita 9227 rotary that I now seldom use. A fine tool but not needed for the vehicles I choose to detail these days.
Great insight! Thanks! Looks like I'll be getting a PC
Old 04-24-09, 11:13 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

I hope the Tech Wax would go well with this PC.

Quick Reply: DA Polisher