Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

P21S 100% Carnauba vs Zaino Z2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-09, 10:07 PM
butterbeer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P21S 100% Carnauba vs Zaino Z2?

Sup guys, I'm trying to decide whether to get the Zaino Z2 or the P21S 100% carnauba wax. so far from what i've researched, since it is carnauba it will basically have a more deep wet look rather than a glassy shiny look that the zaino z2 gives off. also i wanted to know if you can layer wax like you can layer zaino z2? i know you can put a couple coats of z2 but with wax can you do the same? how good is the zaino z2?

anyone got pics, i want something that makes it look like you have a really thick glossy clear coat like this picture

i checked out chris's thread on the p21s review, and it looks pretty good but it doesn't look close to as deep as how i want it to be (but it is as shiny as i'd like it). does anyone have input on the two? does it look 'deeper' in real life? does zaino z2 look 'deep'? thanks everyone
Old 04-30-09, 10:45 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

You need Zaino AIO or some other Zaino first coat to lay a base for Z2 to adhere to. P21S is a carnuba and will not last or protect nearly as good or as long as Zaino. You could put P21S over Zaino Z2 but I don't know how well the P21S would adhere to a Zaino coat and it may not stay on for even one wash once you have a Zaino base coat. P21S will give you a deep warm wet glossy look, Zaino will give you more of a super smooth slick glassy look. Remember that prep is more important then what car wax/sealant you put on a car. Neither will look good on a unpolished/unclayed surface with a bunch of water spots and swirls.
Old 04-30-09, 11:16 PM
butterbeer
Pole Position

oh, well i was going to do
clay polish final polish then put
poorboys EX sealant on it.
if i do go with zaino z2, do i still need the EX sealant and/or zaino AIO?
Old 04-30-09, 11:41 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by butterbeer
Sup guys, I'm trying to decide whether to get the Zaino Z2 or the P21S 100% carnauba wax. so far from what i've researched, since it is carnauba it will basically have a more deep wet look rather than a glassy shiny look that the zaino z2 gives off. also i wanted to know if you can layer wax like you can layer zaino z2? i know you can put a couple coats of z2 but with wax can you do the same? how good is the zaino z2?

anyone got pics, i want something that makes it look like you have a really thick glossy clear coat like this picture

i checked out chris's thread on the p21s review, and it looks pretty good but it doesn't look close to as deep as how i want it to be (but it is as shiny as i'd like it). does anyone have input on the two? does it look 'deeper' in real life? does zaino z2 look 'deep'? thanks everyone
That is a BRAND NEW 2009 CORVETTE that JUST got WAXED! That's why it looks soo GLOSSY! The gloss and the paint is still new so of course it's going to look like that. As for your car, who knows? LOL BTW, is Zaino really a good product?

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 04-30-09 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-01-09, 02:40 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, for blacks I would go Rubbishboys OE or Dodo Juice Supernatural. Both seem to have some crazy "magic" properties that the waxes made here don't seem to have. I found OE and SN similar to SV Concorso on my bamboo pearl RX330

Remember that it is definitely A-ok to go sealant then coats of carnauba on top
Old 05-01-09, 05:16 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The P21S 100% Carnauba Wax and Z2 are two different kinds of products. the P21S 100% is a pure carnauba wax, while the Z2 is a sealant (aka synthetic wax). The P21S 100% will produce a deeper gloss but the Z2 will protect far longer while producing a nice shine as well. Sealants generally protect for several months while waxes are more like several weeks. Certainly you can use just a sealant or a wax. If you want the ideal shine and protection layer a wax on top of a sealant.

For sealants you could use the Z2 but the Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 is my favorite. For waxes I really like the P21S 100% Carnauba Wax but I do give a slight edge to some other options. In that price range I really love all of the Dodo Juice waxes and the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Edition Concourse Wax. These waxes just seem to have a slightly deeper gloss in my experience. You can't go wrong with any of these options. If you really want a top of the line wax try the Dodo Juice Rubbish Boys Juiced Editionor the Dodo Juice Supernatural. We offer 10% off all these waxes with the coupon code 10offCL. If I can help you any further please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Last edited by Greg@DI; 05-01-09 at 05:20 AM.
Old 05-01-09, 06:40 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Although maybe a little tough to compare b/c I took these pics in outdoor light vs the vette on indoor lighting... You want something similar to this type of finish?

Remember, a lot of what you see in a finished product comes from the polishing stage. A wax or sealant certainly adds some pop to what you see, just dont forget the polishing part of it Btw, that finish above is w/ 5050 Limited Series Concourse Paste Wax Like Greg stated, I think I too give 5050 an edge on 100%.
Old 05-01-09, 09:41 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

oh, well i was going to do
clay polish final polish then put
poorboys EX sealant on it.
if i do go with zaino z2, do i still need the EX sealant and/or zaino AIO?
I believe you will need some kind of Zaino base like AIO for the Z2 to properly adhere to your car or some other Zaino product. Go on the Zaino website and it will tell you. You don't need a bunch of Zaino products to get a good finish. I use the Zaino AIO followed by 2 coats of Z2 and the protection/beading is amazing and lasts several months and it looks great. It leaves the surface very slick and smooth. You can also get a Zaino product called Z8 spray that adds gloss/protection to your finish between coats. Remember you need a very clean surface for Zaino so you should do a alcohol rubdown or dawn wash before applying it, you should be very happy with the results.

If you want a less expensive carnuba then P21S, I would recommend Poor Boys Natty Blue. It has a great look to it, is easy to put on, not very expensive, and smells like bubble gum but like most carnubas does not last long nor provides that much protection.
Old 05-01-09, 07:52 PM
butterbeer
Pole Position

chris those pics look nice i want something like that , preferably more deep but for my budget i guess that's good enough. i think i'm going to order the 30 ml samples of dodo and try it out, hopefully it can wax my whole car (GS300). as for sealant, how well does the poorboys EX sealant work? thanks
Old 05-02-09, 03:39 AM
pickle
Rookie

everyone has their favorite waxes, and that is why they make so many different brands. Some people on here even collect them! As for the PB EX sealant, I have been using the EXP sealant (titanium silver vehicle with a lot of metalic flake) and really find it to hold up well. I top it with Natty's paste wax in the summer, and with Collinite 476 in the fall/winter.
Just remember, if your car is a daily driver, it is not going to look great very long, so protection should be your main thought. It has been said here many times. Black is not a hobby, it is a career.
Old 05-02-09, 07:12 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

chris those pics look nice i want something like that , preferably more deep but for my budget i guess that's good enough. i think i'm going to order the 30 ml samples of dodo and try it out, hopefully it can wax my whole car (GS300). as for sealant, how well does the poorboys EX sealant work? thanks
EX Sealant works very well. I've always liked how it looked when I've used it and its very easy to apply. There some stuff out there thats a little more durable, but w/ all things considered, I think its a quality product
Let us know how you like dodo juice if you decide to go that route!