Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

New Paint maintenance ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-09, 08:07 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Paint maintenance ?'s

I have 2 panels on my new car that have been freshly painted, and I have some questions about it from the maintenance aspect.

Basically, I'm curious what I can do with/to the paint. I've been told I can't wax it for 2 months, but does that mean I can't use rubbing compounds, paint corrections, sealants? Is Zaino z-2, z-5 considered wax?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what I can and can't do, and I would ask the autobody shop, but when I mentioned Zaino and sealants they get a glazed-over look in their eye, so I'm looking for some 'general' advice.

In another forum, I saw a guy that reduced some of the orange peel without wet sanding. He used a PC7424, some abrasive compound (I think it was a 3m product, but I'm not sure now), and about 30 minutes of going over the same areas. Anyone here ever tried this? Any thoughts on this process?

Thanks for your time and your suggestions.
Old 05-13-09, 09:01 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glaze, abrasive polishes (NOT AIO products), and quick detailers are okay on fresh paint..

No on LSP's; carnauba wax and sealants. Zaino polish is really a sealant.

Rubbing compound is an aggressive abrasive. When you use it with an aggressive pad, it can be as abrasive as a 2000 grit sandpaper, which is why the guy was able to level his paint without wetsanding.
Old 05-13-09, 10:41 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

So basically nothing that could prevent it from breathing.

Any recommendations for a newbie on a rubbing compound and an aggressive pad? If not, then I'll probably just live with the orange peel.
Old 05-13-09, 12:42 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

Did the shop bake the paint after painting to dry it? Do you smell the paint when you get close to the panels? If you still smell it, then I would put the car outside as much as possible to get the sun on it, etc., to help dry it.
There are a few layers of filler, etc., primer, maybe a sealant, then paint.
Takes awhile for all that stuff at the bottom to dry up through all those coats on top.
While you are waiting, how about posting a picture of it in good light, with an angle that shows the o/peel the best?
3M makes great compounds used in the trade for buffing out newly painted, sanded, paint. They are all designed to be used with wool or wool/foam pads on a rotary buffer. You really need to know how to use one with these compounds so you dont burn through a spot, etc..
The P/Cable 7424 or the Flex XC3401VRG are good, and better, but will take longer than the rotary..
3M makes a Perfect-it II line of products that can buff out really well for newly painted, etc. panels.

Did the shop already buff out the paint for you? This should be part of what you paid for. We always buffed out the paint, and tried really hard to match the finish to the panels around it. We also buffed out the panels around it, so you could tell there was no difference.
If they buffed it out, they probably put something like Meguiars Mirror Glaze No. 7, Professional Seal and Reseal Glaze on the panels to bring out the shine. It works, doesnt harm the drying of the paint, but comes off the first time you wash it.
If you are having issues with the final finish of the paint, you should consider taking it back and telling them the new panels dont match the surrounding panels in smoothness, and you want them to match them now. It should have been done in the first place.
Good luck with this!
DanF
Old 05-13-09, 01:02 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stokdgs
Did the shop bake the paint after painting to dry it? Do you smell the paint when you get close to the panels?

While you are waiting, how about posting a picture of it in good light, with an angle that shows the o/peel the best?

Did the shop already buff out the paint for you?

If you are having issues with the final finish of the paint, you should consider taking it back and telling them the new panels dont match the surrounding panels in smoothness, and you want them to match them now. It should have been done in the first place.
I'm not sure if the shop baked the paint. I don't really smell the paint like I did after the 1st time they painted those 2 panels. There's a really, really faint odor (but nothing like after they first painted it when it permeated the cabin).

I'll work on the pictures, but I've never been successful at capturing orange peel with my camera. (I probably need to buy a new camera).

This work was all covered by Lexus because my door broke. They painted it. I was unhappy. I subsequently learned terms like fisheyes and orange peel. They buffed & wet sanded it over 2 weeks and it got a little better, but eventually they must have went too deep because I could see the body where the fisheyes got removed. So, then they repainted it Monday.

I'm at a point now where I've taken tons of time off work to go back and forth to the dealership and I feel like this is the best work I will get out of them, so I'm just trying to make the best of a mediocre situation.

I do have to say the quality of the paint is much better. No fisheyes and it matches well (plus it's very clear and pretty smooth). The only issue I have with it is the orange peel (and I know that's an issue with the factory paint as well), so I'm just trying to minimize my losses and get the best "product" I can without taking it back.

I appreciate your input, and please feel free to throw any other suggestions my way. My ears are open :-)