Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Wool wash mitt a no-no?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-09, 08:56 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wool wash mitt a no-no?

I just had my ES professionally detailed yesterday and was told that using a wool wash mitt is bad for producing new swirl marks. He recommended using only a MF mitt.

What do our CL detailing pros think of this advice?
Old 05-13-09, 10:10 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I agree with it. If you look at detailing pads, by far the most aggressive are the wool pads. MF is much softer than wool, and will rinse cleaner, too, based on what I've seen and used. Remember to always use two buckets, too - one to rinse, one for suds. Keeps the contaminants you've taken off the car from being mixed in and put elsewhere.

Big Mack
Old 05-13-09, 10:21 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by Big Mack
I agree with it. If you look at detailing pads, by far the most aggressive are the wool pads. MF is much softer than wool, and will rinse cleaner, too, based on what I've seen and used. Remember to always use two buckets, too - one to rinse, one for suds. Keeps the contaminants you've taken off the car from being mixed in and put elsewhere.

Big Mack
Thanks, BM.
You make a very good point about aggressive pads being made of wool. Actually, this was something the detailer also mentioned yesterday but I had forgotten it until now.

And yes, the two bucket method is a must!
Old 05-13-09, 12:09 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hold on, just because wool is made for heavy compounding doesn't mean that it isn't safe. Don't forget that the wool for polishing uses a lot of speed to do what it does, unless you can revolve your hand at 600rpm and above I don't think it will be an issue as long as you get the right mitt.

If you are looking for the absolute softest mitt out there that has a super super low chance of marring, check out the mitts from RubbishBoy (CLICK ME). These are great and my Jet Black BMW friend swears by it (JB paint is super super soft). While you are at it, you should pick up some RubbishBoys OE
Old 05-13-09, 12:27 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Maybe a distinction needs to be made between "wool" mitts and "lamb's wool" mitts
Old 05-13-09, 02:00 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Hold on, just because wool is made for heavy compounding doesn't mean that it isn't safe. Don't forget that the wool for polishing uses a lot of speed to do what it does, unless you can revolve your hand at 600rpm and above I don't think it will be an issue as long as you get the right mitt.
I never said it wasn't safe, but I think that a MF mitt is much better than a wool mitt, even lambs wool. As I said, it's going to rinse easier and be less abrasive based on my experience. If you've gotta scrub the bejeezus out of some wheels to get layers of caked on goo off, wool mitts are awesome. For paint, however, I'd never use a wool mitt because they simply don't rinse as easily as the MF's I have.

Big Mack

Last edited by Big Mack; 05-13-09 at 02:11 PM. Reason: My fingeners slipped and typed a big part wrong. :)
Old 05-13-09, 03:15 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I prefer a genuine lambswool wash mitt. They are very soft, plush and more importantly release dirt very well when rinsed. MF wash mitts tend to not release dirt very well and are nowhere near as plush, IMO. I've used wool mitts for over 20 years and have never seen any swirling caused by them.

Don't be misled by what a wool polishing pad with an abrasive polish coating the wool fibers can do and attempt to transfer that experience to a wash mitt. Just isn't the same.
Old 05-13-09, 03:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I too prefer wool over microfiber.

I like my MFs for drying, but not for washing.
Old 05-13-09, 04:04 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Don't be misled by what a wool polishing pad with an abrasive polish coating the wool fibers can do and attempt to transfer that experience to a wash mitt. Just isn't the same.
Who said anything about it having an abrasive polish coating the wool fibers? I know that I didn't. I simply said that I have found MF to be better than wool/lambswool mitts when I've used them, and rinsed out easier, much like you said about the lambswool mitts. We're on different sides of this, but I don't think it's fair to insinuate that the comparison had an added ingredient that wasn't ever introduced simply because you disagree with my point. No harm, no foul, just saying I'm comparing apples to apples, not apples and cinammon to bananas with peanut butter. Hmm...I guess I was hungrier than I thought.

Big Mack
Old 05-13-09, 04:55 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexucan
Maybe a distinction needs to be made between "wool" mitts and "lamb's wool" mitts
Originally Posted by GSteg
I too prefer wool over microfiber.

I like my MFs for drying, but not for washing.
^^Agreed! I've felt some scratchy "wool" mitts that were totally different than a good lamb or sheepskin mitt.

And I too do not like microfiber for washing. It does not seem to release the debris nearly as well as a quality lambs wool or sheepskin mitt. Drying is a different story though... mf waffle weave ftw.
Old 05-13-09, 05:22 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes the word 'wool' is too vague. God forbid someone uses steel 'wool'
Old 05-13-09, 05:25 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
And I too do not like microfiber for washing. It does not seem to release the debris nearly as well as a quality lambs wool or sheepskin mitt. Drying is a different story though... mf waffle weave ftw.
Okay, and not solely based on Chris' post, perhaps since it has been a while since I've given lambswool mitts a chance I should. Maybe they've gotten better.

Originally Posted by GSteg
Yes the word 'wool' is too vague. God forbid someone uses steel 'wool'
You know what? If you're dumb enough to use steel wool to wash your car, perhaps you should tell the person who ties your shoes and hands you the sippy cup and fork with a cork on the end that you need something else to play with. Sheesh...

Big Mack
Old 05-13-09, 07:05 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

imma go buy a real sheep and use it as a mit =] 100% natural.

hermm i should look into wool mits.. im using a MF sponge n its OK for cleaning.. and a absorber for drying.
Old 05-13-09, 07:16 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Be aware that there are natural wool sheepskin mitts and then there are synthetic sheepskin mitts. The synthetics are what gives them a bad rep. The natural mitts are the real deal.
Old 05-13-09, 09:10 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, we were all thinking of different things weren't we?

Quick Reply: Wool wash mitt a no-no?