Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Utilizing the PC orbital polisher

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-09, 04:48 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Utilizing the PC orbital polisher

Hey guys,

Just bought my wife a used 2007 IS350 and am looking to finally buy a PC 7424 Orbital polisher. I am looking for some basic hints mainly on what pads to buy for removing light scuffs/swirls and one for the final buffing part.

Also, what not to do in order to prevent any harm from using a machine when I always have done things by hand in the past. I just want to be clear that using this device is safe for the cars finish.

I currently use zaino and from my understanding I can use the Z-PC with the PC for buffing out blemishes,correct?

Thanks for your help,

Brandon
Old 05-19-09, 05:14 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Hey guys,

Just bought my wife a used 2007 IS350 and am looking to finally buy a PC 7424 Orbital polisher. I am looking for some basic hints mainly on what pads to buy for removing light scuffs/swirls and one for the final buffing part.

Also, what not to do in order to prevent any harm from using a machine when I always have done things by hand in the past. I just want to be clear that using this device is safe for the cars finish.

I currently use zaino and from my understanding I can use the Z-PC with the PC for buffing out blemishes,correct?

Thanks for your help,

Brandon
Brandon,

Congratulations on the purchase, I'm sure you are both excited! The PC 7424 is quite safe and easy to use with just a little practice. I highly recommend you read our Detailing Guide to better understand each step and how to use the PC during each step. If you have any questions after reading this section please let me know I'd be happy to help!

I would suggest looking at a 1 -2 step polishing process and then protecting your paint with a sealant. We offer the Porter Cable 7424 Starter Kit, which is a great value. It gives you the PC 7424, 9x pads (of your choice), 3x Snappy Clean (pad cleaning formula), backing plate and counterweight at a bundle price.

Since you are newer to detailing I would suggest using:
Optimum Compound II w/ orange pad
Optimum Polish II w/white pad

This combination should provide a smoother and glossier surface! You can then follow that up with a quality sealant like the Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 or the Chemical Guys M-Seal. These sealants will last far longer than a natural carnauba wax and are easy to apply and remove. I apply these products with a blue fine finishing pad, but you can also do this step by hand if desired.

Best of all we are offering 15% off and FREE S/H through 5/26 at www.detailedimage.com with the coupon code MDAY2009. This code does not apply to buffers, vacuums, specials and kits. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 05-19-09, 07:17 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help,

Brandon
Congrats on the purchase Brandon! You'll definitely be happy going w/ the pc to handle polishing duties. Everyone who goes the pc route never looks back to hand polishing again
If you're looking for just a pc and pad setup, we have a pc and pad kit which includes 4 larger 5.5 or 6.5" pads and 2 4" spot buff pads along w/ the respective backing plates. Or we also have a simple Starter Package which includes the machine, backing plate and a white polishing pad and black finishing pad. You can then grab some additional pads based on your needs. Ones you might consider would be an orange light cut pad for assisting in defect removal or a blue pad, which is similar to the black pad, just not as dense so it'll compress a little easier under pressure.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/bupaac.html
To accomplish what you're looking to do, you have a few options. Like Greg mentioned, the orange and white pads will be your best bet. The orange pad will be paired w/ the stronger of the polishes/compound and the white pad paired w/ the lighter/finishing polish. Heres a couple examples of packages that'll include everything you need to get started.
Poorboys Porter Cable Package and the Optimum Porter Cable Package Both include the machine, counter weights, flexible backing plate, orange and white pad, compound, polish and either a wax or sealant.
So you would start out w/ the orange pad and either optimum compound or ssr2.5 and work the product in on speed 5-6. From there, follow up w/ ssr1 or optimum polish on speed 4-4.5. Then just top it off w/ either the nattys paste wax or optiseal
Now, I'd recommend going w/ the 5.5" pads as they tend to spin a little more freely on the machine and just seem to be a better match for the porter cable.

As for things to avoid in order to not do any damage... I would say to not place the machine on an edge or corner and let it just sit there, spinning. Not that you would do that anyway, but in reality, there isnt much that you can do wrong w/ the pc to damage the paint. Thats kinda why the machine is so popular. Its safe to use for people new to polishing, yet still very effective. Hopefully someone can chime in w/ regard to the zaino zpc question. I dont have any first hand experience w/ zaino products, so I dont want to steer you in the wrong direction there, but theres plenty of knowledge on this board, so I'm sure that question will be answered in no time
Old 05-28-09, 07:12 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Thanks guys.

OK, I ordered the UDM(also the same as the PC 7424).

Currently I have Poorboys ssr2.5 and Zaino Z-PC. My cars only have light swirls that I am looking to remove nothing real deep....I am very careful with all my vehicles.

Can anyone let me know if the Zaino ZPC will be enough for these light swirls most likely created by dirty wash water or will I need to use something just a bit more agressive?

Based on the abrasive chart on this forum, I think my Poorboys 2.5 may be too agressive while the ZPC might be too weak......should I try the PB ssr2.0 maybe?

I am new to this so I dont want to get too agressive with the finish on nearly brand new vehicles.

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 05-29-09, 03:10 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which pads do you have for the udm? 2.5 really isnt TOO aggressive imo. They did just recently reformulate SSR2 though and its a nice polish to have, as it works very well by machine and also by hand. I'd say if you pair either w/ an orange pad, you should be just fine. If the car does only have very minor swirling, ssr2 should be fine, however, moderate swirling should be tackled w/ ssr2.5.
Old 05-29-09, 04:17 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Chris,

I have the DAS white, orange, blue, and teal pads. The car in my opinion has minor swirling thats only visible typically under direct sunlight or overhead lights, otherwise its tough to see. I may try the ZPC which is even milder than the ssr2 and if that does not work, move onto the Poorboys 2 or 2.5.
Old 05-29-09, 09:40 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help,

Brandon
A PC is very safe and it is safe to polish your car once or twice a year over the years of ownership without worrying about taking too much clear off, with a PC you take very very little clear off.

For correcting I would get a 3 and 1/2 baking plate and 3-5 orange 4" pads. I would also get a a few white and blue pads. Get a couple back of pads of each so you can switch them out when they get soft/caked and when they get damaged and you can no longer use one, it also saves money instead of having to pay for shipping a couple times. You can go with bigger baking plates and pads for finishing pads. Lake Country CCS pads are good pads.
If your swirls are just minor then you could probably get away with using Z-PC and a orange pad, you may just have to go over the area a little more then you normally would with a more aggressive polish. You may need to finish down with a white pad and less aggressive polish if there is a haze or you might be able to just wipe it down with diluted alcohol. Don't wash your pads with hot water or strong soap or else the glue will stop holding the pad together. Don't use too much polish either, a pea sized drop or two is all you need and you can spritz the pad with water to work it in longer. I would go on youtube on type in for videos on how to use the porter cable. You need to put some pressure on the PC for it to be able to correct, just letting the weight of the machine do it will not work and don't go too fast, the polish needs to be worked in and broke down with several slow passes.
Old 05-29-09, 10:10 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Udel,
Thanks.

I am a bit nervous about utilizing the PC in terms of the cars clearcoat finish longevity. My cars are a 2006 4runner and 2008 Lexus IS350. I think to be safe I will first try the zaino zpc with the pc & orange pad to remove the swirsl before going any more agressive with the polishes. From my understanding, ZPC is very mild and rated at the bottom of the polish agressive charts.

I did watch some instructional videos on the pc, so that should point me in the right direction.

Also,
I only have one pad of each color coming(i forgot to order additional ones) will one pad be enough to touch up some medium size areas on a car?
Thanks again,
Brandon
Old 05-29-09, 06:06 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Udel,
Thanks.

I am a bit nervous about utilizing the PC in terms of the cars clearcoat finish longevity. My cars are a 2006 4runner and 2008 Lexus IS350. I think to be safe I will first try the zaino zpc with the pc & orange pad to remove the swirsl before going any more agressive with the polishes. From my understanding, ZPC is very mild and rated at the bottom of the polish agressive charts.

I did watch some instructional videos on the pc, so that should point me in the right direction.

Also,
I only have one pad of each color coming(i forgot to order additional ones) will one pad be enough to touch up some medium size areas on a car?
Thanks again,
Brandon
I have never really heard of anyone who regularly polishes their car(1 or 2 times a year) ever having an issue with their clearcoat even after doing it for years and years unless they messed up with a rotary or really did something dumb with a PC. Remember everything the PC is able to correct you cannot even feel with your sensitive finger or fingernail so it is only a very very fine layer of clear that is being cut down and there is no danger if you do it properly. It is probably worse for your clearcoat not to polish when you have collected pollutants, hard mineral deposits, bird crap residue, etc sitting on your finish over a long period of time that cannot be removed with simple washing no matter how hard you scrub or what soap you use. Don't worry about polishing your newer car with a PC, most detail enthusiasts clay and polish their brand new car as soon as they bring it home from the dealer.

Your right on starting with something mild as it is always good to start with the mildest combo you think will work and go from there to see if it works. If it does not correct then you can always step up to something with more cut or a more aggressive pad. One orange pad can touch up medium areas on your car but after doing a section or two the pads start to get flat and soft and lose their cutting ability. That is why it is good to have extras, especially crucial with orange pads. It normally takes me about 4 orange pads to polish my Lexus GS. Whites and blues don't need to be changed as much because they are not having to correct like orange pads and not used as hard.