Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Hard water spots

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-09, 04:29 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hard water spots

so what do most of you use or do....I am getting tired of running around to dry the car quick enough. The mixture of Hard Water and everything else in the water has made it a PITA to dry the cars with out getting the hard water spots. A water softener does absolutely nothing.

I have the California water blade and that seems to help the best and then I finish it with the compressor with the air valve attached as they use at the dealer. That still doesn't get it all quick enough to make sure I don't end up with spots in certain places.

I was reading up on a few exotic car forums and see many are buying distilled water for the final rinse then claim to have no issues? Good idea but I am sure can become costly after a while.

So what have you found that works
Old 05-24-09, 05:51 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never had a problem out in illinois but that is prob beacuse i wash the car in shadded areas.
Old 05-24-09, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Water won't spot unless it drys. When you wash the car, every time you finish a section, rinse that section off, and then re-spray the whole car quickly with the hose. Keep the entire car wet, and DON'T let ANY part dry until the whole car is washed. Then, dry it off the whole car at once with a couple of clean, soft towels. That way, the water won't get a chance to spot.....and, if you are in a tree-shaded area where crap blows off the trees and keeps falling on the car, the periodic hosing will keep the leaves, seeds, etc.... off until you're ready to dry it.

I've used this method for many years and don't have any spotting problems, even with hard water. Yes, it uses a little more water through the hose, but it works....and the difference in the monthly water bill won't be very much.

Since you're in Chicago, you can get some nasty winters and bad road conditions. Make sure you flush all of the salt and sand off the underbody, in the wheel wells, the inside of the wheel-well lips/ridges, and under the bumpers. The engine, brakes, and exhaust pipes should cool down a little, of course, before you spray the cold water underneath.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-24-09 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-24-09, 07:28 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The best way to avoid spots for me has been to wash my car when the sun goes down or at night so the water does not dry quickly and then thoroughly dry the car using a microfiber rag to wipe off all the big water drops and then using a microfiber towel to get the rest. Having a good slick layer of sealant/wax helps too in easing of washing/drying and not allowing hard water to stick to your finish and spot.
Old 05-24-09, 07:52 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000LEX
I have never had a problem out in illinois but that is prob beacuse i wash the car in shadded areas.
It wont show on your car like it does mine. The last car, black, was worse then this but I can see where water spots get missed or stuff just gets missed. I use an air line (from compressor) to get most of the stuff blown out then I drive the car to get out the rest.

I have 2 properties and they both suck. One even has a water softener and it didn't make one difference for washing the cars. It did help with the stuff inside the house.

What I have read is its too much of something in the water. I guess its more then the hard water. Your water source may be different then mine. I will have to ask a few others that live in your area to see. Where I'm at is worse then the rental place for sure.

I just got some kit from the auto store I read up on this other forum that pretty much described what I was having issues with. Its basically a filter for the water and I think it worked. Only thing is its good for 3 washes I think it said so I am sure I will be lucky to get 2 washes out of it. Almost like using the distilled water after every wash.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-24-09, 08:14 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Here to make it simple the best way to wash your car is get a bucket, sponge, and towel and do one section at a time. I can show you if you like. Ive done that for years and have never had any waterspots.
Old 05-24-09, 10:46 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

do it slowly in your garage mike.... think it will be all good.. or wash at sunset....
Old 05-25-09, 12:58 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pick up a CR Spotless and you should be fine for quite some time. Should be mineral and whatnot free so you don't have to dry
Old 05-25-09, 05:20 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000LEX
Here to make it simple the best way to wash your car is get a bucket, sponge, and towel and do one section at a time. I can show you if you like. Ive done that for years and have never had any waterspots.
haha smart @ss! Okay one of these weekends you can bring your bucket and stuff over and will see how it does on your car. The water is for FREE

I got this Mr Clean Kit yesterday and it works like a Charm! I am not worried about not drying the car off!! I aired down the rims and a few other things just to be safe and the rest of the car is spot free.

FYI I am not alone on this one
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/archi...hp/t-6928.html

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ead.php?t=3887

I must say the red is much better then my Black Lexus...
Old 05-25-09, 06:25 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

You can also give the car a light spray w/ a quick detailer like Spray n Wipe. I do this and it actually does help quite a bit. I also use a water softener, but your water may be much different than mine here.

And actually, 2000LEX has a good idea. Have you tried using Optimum No Rinse to wash yet? You can do this exact method if you'd like. Wash a panel w/ ONR, then go ahead and dry. On top of the water not sitting on the surface as long as it normally would, the lubricants in the water from the ONR will help to also prevent spotting.
Old 05-25-09, 11:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
haha smart @ss! Okay one of these weekends you can bring your bucket and stuff over and will see how it does on your car. The water is for FREE

I got this Mr Clean Kit yesterday and it works like a Charm! I am not worried about not drying the car off!! I aired down the rims and a few other things just to be safe and the rest of the car is spot free.

FYI I am not alone on this one
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/archi...hp/t-6928.html

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ead.php?t=3887

I must say the red is much better then my Black Lexus...
I've used that Mr. Clean Car Wash system too and it works pretty good, no spotting at all.

FWIW it's also is great on exterior house windows. Fast with no streaks or spots.
Old 05-25-09, 12:21 PM
2000LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Im serious i have showed alot of people how to wash their car it acually has a technique to doing it right why does everyone think my car is ALWAYS clean and spot free? Also if you whole car is wet you always start with the windows first (seeing how they are first to spot) then the sunny side of the paint and finally the rest. And be quick about it