Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How much do you spend for detailing supplies?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-09, 10:56 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Too much.

Lately, I've begun to whittle down my purchases to only those essential items. There are simply too many interesting products from many manufacturers to own them all. I've honed my choices to the top products from a top supplier.

I think your supplies will last until the next generation.
Old 05-28-09, 12:53 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

speaking of supplies...have you all seen these new towels that Zaino is selling?

no borders and they're softer than a baby's a$$. comes in pack of 3 for $25. they're only 16" x 16", so price is a little high, but looks like they're guaranteed not to scratch. I bought a pack, but haven't had a chance to use them yet....been raining a lot lately.

I've probably spent about $600 over the last 8 months.
Old 05-29-09, 01:01 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

in the past 2 weeks, about $900 on detailing stuff and i havent even detailed my car yet! i want to make sure i have everything i need when i do it. also, i am a FIRM believer in doing things right the first time around or not doing it at all. i did a ton of research and purchased some quality products, which is why i spent so much. for example, my buffer. i could have gotten a PC, but read that the FLEX is better so i purchased the flex. yes, it was about $200 more, but i would rather have it and know it is a superior product.

and all i can say to this pic below,

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Too much.

Lately, I've begun to whittle down my purchases to only those essential items. There are simply too many interesting products from many manufacturers to own them all. I've honed my choices to the top products from a top supplier.

and what is that machine on the left of the supplies?
Old 05-29-09, 02:19 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by varcity64
in the past 2 weeks, about $900 on detailing stuff and i havent even detailed my car yet! i want to make sure i have everything i need when i do it. also, i am a FIRM believer in doing things right the first time around or not doing it at all. i did a ton of research and purchased some quality products, which is why i spent so much. for example, my buffer. i could have gotten a PC, but read that the FLEX is better so i purchased the flex. yes, it was about $200 more, but i would rather have it and know it is a superior product.

and all i can say to this pic below,

and what is that machine on the left of the supplies?
Pressure washer.
Old 05-29-09, 06:51 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes it's a pressure washer. The nice features this one has is two separate soap tanks. You can use one to foam the car and another to apply APC to the wheels and wells. The unit also has a lower pressure setting that is safe to use on paint and tires.

The two craftsman tool boxes in the photo contain a PC and a 9227c rotary plus pads. As I've stated, I'm trying to cut back to fewer products. My main polishes are now Meg's #105 and #205. They can do anything I need. I've got #83, #82, #81, #80, and a few others but I can do everything with just these two.

Wax is the same story. I can get excellent results with NXT 2.0 or #21 2.0. I've got a couple tins of #16 and #26 but I only use them when prepping for winter over the sealants or if I'm looking for that warm carnauba glow.

I'm a compulsive buyer though and it takes a lot of discipline to stop buying every new product that comes to market with it's hype.
Old 05-29-09, 09:02 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'm a bit north of 2k