Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Canvas Works Winshield Heat Reflector

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-09, 05:37 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Canvas Works Winshield Heat Reflector

I have seen threads in older IS forum posts and thought some owners and noobs may benefit from this product with summer approaching. I bought this from Canvas Works www.canvasworks.com It is a custom made winshield heat reflector and can reduce inside temps. by 25 degrees. It also protects the dash from UV rays and interior fading. For my IS, the fit was perfect. My car stays outside in the Florida sun and it dramatically reduces the inside temperature of the black interior. It is made of a polyester film laminated to a insulated foam, not like the cheap ones found at discount stores. They have heatshields for almost every Lexus model. The CL decal was not included. I am in no way affiliated with the company. I only wanted to share a great product to protect the interior of our cars.
Attached Thumbnails Canvas Works Winshield Heat Reflector-mmmoose.jpg  
Old 05-29-09, 03:13 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good... definitely worth having in the summer months! Price doesnt seem to bad either.
Old 05-29-09, 07:37 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I have been debating posting a thread like this but didn't want to be taken for an old fart

My GS spends a lot of time outside (9-5 M-F) and with summer approaching I really didn't want to burn up the inside of my car. I had noticed some very, very slight sun damage on the wood trim in front of the console and that's when I knew I had to do something. I was also concerned about prolonged sun exposure to other parts of my interior.

I bought a sunshade just like this and I really don't know what I like better- the fact that my wood grain is being preserved, or that my car is like 80 degrees instead of 140 when I get in it.

I know that it seems like mostly only people in their 70's put these sun shades in their DeVilles, but seriously...it's a life saver.
Old 06-03-09, 10:57 AM
rs/ss
Pole Position

I like the one i bought from the dealership. It's a harder material that folds up x4. It holds it's shape and fits perfectly.
Old 06-03-09, 12:06 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

Default + 1 for Canvas Works

Been buying them for at least 15 years now, and they are always good.
They originally made them for airplanes that sit outside all year around, and gradually did boats, I believe, and then vehicles.
Their website is nice, you can see how they do it and their quality is great. i have never had one tear, or have problems, even the first one I bought at least 15 years ago is still working great in sunny Northern California.
There are probably other ones out there equally good or better, but Im happy with this guy's stuff. It really does cut down the heat and saves the dash, wheel, etc. from direct sunburn.
Old 06-28-09, 01:50 AM
butterbeer
Pole Position

kind of an old topic, but anyone buy the cheapass ones from like walmart or whatever? do they work just as well as long as they have reflective material? i'm too lazy to spend like 30 bucks for a sunshade lol
Old 06-28-09, 11:21 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Talking

Originally Posted by butterbeer
kind of an old topic, but anyone buy the cheapass ones from like walmart or whatever? do they work just as well as long as they have reflective material? i'm too lazy to spend like 30 bucks for a sunshade lol
Yep. I bought a basic one for a mommyvan/SUV size to give more coverage, and I've used it for years. In Arizona, these are a necessity. It can get up to 165° in the car, even more if it's a dark color. Given that I have remote start on all my vehicles (and always will), it's nice to have it keep the car cooler and then the air doesn't have to kick in quite as hard. My daily driver now has a window module, so it rolls down the windows, then when I fire it up it rolls them up 3/4. Makes a HUGE difference. I hate sweating my nads off (I know, I know, bad place to live, yadda yadda), but these make it mo betta.

Oh, and I'm not sold on the thick ones, either. My friend has one that is crazy thick, looks like a jiffy pop lid. It keeps out the heat very comparably, but you'll cook your fingeners taking it out of the window. I'll stick with mine.

Big Mack