Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Hot - Warm - Cold Water To Wash?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 08:43 AM
07-IS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot - Warm - Cold Water To Wash?

Curious what most folks use to wash their car. Hot, cold or warm water?

Any special liquid soap?

Anybody Armorall the interior?
Old 05-29-09, 08:50 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

I usually use cold water, just because on a hot summer day, the black paint on my car is usually scorching and will sizzle with anything but cold water. And also because it's the one most available at the hose. I sometimes use warm/hot water in the winter not for the car's sake, but so I don't get frostbite myself
Old 05-29-09, 08:51 AM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hot to warm water for sure. As far as soap, make sure you use a GOOD soap. I prefer stuff like Zaino brand and others will chime in with their preferences I'm sure. You'll need to order Zaino unless you can magically find some shop that carries it (dunno if such a shop exists), but I would definitely recommend it.

As an alternative, I think the Meguire's(sp?) soap is pretty decent for a soap that can be found at Autozone and such.

If you REALLY want to get into it, go read up on what to do and what not to do at http://www.autopia.org/. There's certain cloths you should use and certain ones you should avoid. Some people are very particular about this and some don't give a crap (like my neighbor who uses the same rag on his wheels as he does on the rest of his car, lets it fall on the ground then picks it up to use it again, etc) lol.

As far as armorall, I don't use that brand and have heard mixed reviews about it, but I do use the Meguire's(sp?) interior stuff. It gets it clean but not an overly shiny "wet" look.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-29-09, 08:52 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 802 Likes on 560 Posts

Check the Detailing Forum for tips and tricks. I typically use cold water and I hate anything Armor-All because most of it leaves a nasty shine
Old 05-29-09, 08:55 AM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ELL Y
I usually use cold water, just because on a hot summer day, the black paint on my car is usually scorching and will sizzle with anything but cold water. And also because it's the one most available at the hose. I sometimes use warm/hot water in the winter not for the car's sake, but so I don't get frostbite myself
Not putting this guy down at all, and to each his own, etc, but I wouldn't wash the car in the hot sun. The soap dries on too quickly, as does the water when you rinse it. It doesn't give it a proper wash, in my opinion. I believe it's best to wash it in the shade, or when the sun goes down (and make sure the car's surface has cooled off). I wash mine in the garage sometimes if it's too hot and sunny out.

Again, this is all about how "crazy" and particular you want to get about washing your car.
Old 05-29-09, 09:13 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

^
Oh believe me. I know that perfectly well. On occasion I've had to claybar and polish out water and soap stains that have baked into the paint by the time I've gotten around to rinsing it, but it's usually all right, especially if you rinse the panel right after soaping it and then giving it another rinse in the end. I know it's better to do it say in the morning, but I can't get up early enough, and my driveway is located in direct sun.

For a soap, I personally don't think they matter all that much, just as long as it gives you proper suds. Having used only about 4 or 5 different kinds though, I can't say I'm the most experienced.
Old 05-29-09, 11:50 AM
nmpeter
Pole Position

I've never had a choice with water temperature.
Old 05-29-09, 12:20 PM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

How does one get hot water out of the hose?
Old 05-29-09, 12:32 PM
sgm250
Rookie

Hot water will strip the wax off faster (not to mention my hose is either cold or..cold).
Old 05-29-09, 02:57 PM
ilocke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by D.Jobin
How does one get hot water out of the hose?
Attach hose directly to your water heater. Although in the summer time here in AZ, the water is already pretty warm coming out of the outside faucet!
Old 05-29-09, 11:42 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

cold water + ONR.....
Old 05-30-09, 04:59 AM
MyfirstES
Driver

I use moderately hot water. I fill the wash bucket from the kitchen sink and of course I wash in the shade!
Old 05-30-09, 07:46 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Cold water is fine.

IMO, soap does matter. Use of dishwashing soap will strip the wax. Use too much car wash soap and it will strip the wax. Use too little and you will not get enough lubrication to remove dirt without marring the paint. I use a plastic cup which I've marked with the proper level to use just the right amount of car wash. For my wash solution I use a 5 gallon bucket marked and filled to 3 gallons and that means three ounces of soap. Best OTC soap I've found is Meguire's Gold Class or if you have hard water, NXT Tech Wash. For Pro products I like Meg's Shampoo Plus. I also use a 5 gallon rinse bucket with a grit guard. I rinse my mitt after each panel or two to dislodge any grit.

Technique is very important, especially if you have a dark colored car and want to keep it swirl free.

I start washing with the wheels and tires first. I spray APC on the wheel wells and tires and scrub them with a brush and rinse them with a medium pressure from my PW.

I like to foam the car prior to washing to dislodge and loosen the dirt then I do a conventional hand wash. MY PW does this foaming nicely. I use a newer genuine sheepskin wash mitt and I start at the top and work my way down. I use an older sheepskin wash mitt for the rocker panels, the lowest parts of the front and rear and the wheels.

I rinse with the hose nozzle removed to sheet off most of the water then blot dry the remaining water with a couple waffle weave microfiber towels.

Washing in the sun is tough problem. I typically wash at dusk when the sun is setting. The car surface is cool enough then so that it doesn't dry too fast and leave water spotting. If you find you are getting water spotting you might be tempted to try to rub harder with a drying towel to remove them and this will give you swirls, guaranteed.

Well, I guess I'm a bit **** about keeping my cars swirl free, but it doesn't really take more time to do it right. It takes a lot longer to polish out swirls if you induce them while using poor technique or products.

After washing, I follow up with a quick application of UQW to restore/maintain the slickness and gloss. This step makes your paint almost self cleaning. The added slickness makes the dirt less able to stick to the paint.

Total time to do a medium-sized SUV is 45-60 min.

Last edited by jfelbab; 05-30-09 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-30-09, 08:24 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

I always use hot water for my foam lance/ Foam gun/ (2) bucket soap method...It foams better with warm/hot water than cold water.
Old 05-30-09, 07:11 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

I use the 2 bucket method and rinse with a hose from the water faucet, usually it's warm. And always wash in the shade. I never use Armour All on anything.

Quick Reply: Hot - Warm - Cold Water To Wash?