Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leather Steering Wheel Care

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 10:23 AM
spender
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Steering Wheel Care

I have a 2004 LS430, which is basically immaculate in the interior (keeping in mind it's a 4-year-old car...). The only thing in the interior that shows its age is the leather portions of the steering wheel - these have degraded in both look and texture. I am the second owner of the car.

From browsing the internets, I have discovered that leather steering wheels degrade if exposed continually to hand creams. I don't use these hand creams, but the previous owners may have. Either way, I have just purchased a new one (from eBay) that I am going to have my dealer install later this month. Given that it is my goal to keep this new steering wheel leather in perfect condition, what should I do? Is there any product in particular that I should buy that will keep this steering wheel looking especially great? Advice please. Thanks!
Old 06-01-09, 10:56 AM
renren7
Lead Lap

any leather cleaner and conditioner once in a while should be fine, also if ur not too lazy to put sun shade when parking under the sun that would help a lot too

Usually its damaged from the sun and it gets roughh..
Old 06-01-09, 12:21 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

303 Aerospace Protectant. Get it from any vendors here.
Old 06-01-09, 04:53 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spender
I have a 2004 LS430, which is basically immaculate in the interior (keeping in mind it's a 4-year-old car...). The only thing in the interior that shows its age is the leather portions of the steering wheel - these have degraded in both look and texture. I am the second owner of the car.

From browsing the internets, I have discovered that leather steering wheels degrade if exposed continually to hand creams. I don't use these hand creams, but the previous owners may have. Either way, I have just purchased a new one (from eBay) that I am going to have my dealer install later this month. Given that it is my goal to keep this new steering wheel leather in perfect condition, what should I do? Is there any product in particular that I should buy that will keep this steering wheel looking especially great? Advice please. Thanks!
I would recommend cleaning and conditioning the wheel with a quality leather care product. I recommend the Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil and Prestine Clean for the wheel, seats, etc. It helps remove the oils left behind from human skin, dust, dirt, etc. If you prefer a quicker and easier step try the Poorboy's World Leather Stuff. For UV protection you can try the 303 Aerospace Protectant on the leather, vinyl, rubber and plastic surfaces. Just make sure it's not making your wheel feel slick at all. The 303 AP is known for making the surface look and feel very matte, but just be sure before driving. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-01-09, 05:02 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i use leatherique stuff for my leather stuff.. n finish it off with 303 AP
Old 06-01-09, 06:17 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

I dont know if I'd recommend using 303 Aerospace on the steering wheel. Some feel that it can be a little slippery when applied. Although thats not a big deal on other areas, I'd be very cautious on the steering wheel. Its works well on Doors, Dashes and other leather areas though.
Old 04-28-10, 08:32 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
I dont know if I'd recommend using 303 Aerospace on the steering wheel. Some feel that it can be a little slippery when applied. Although thats not a big deal on other areas, I'd be very cautious on the steering wheel. Its works well on Doors, Dashes and other leather areas though.
Agree. Too slippery. Don't use this on the steering wheel.