Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Noob question thread 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-09, 11:27 PM
butterbeer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob question thread 3

aight so everytime i check out a new thing for detailing i needa know the basics and don't feel like scrolling through a bajillion threads..so here it goes:

1. Lexol products, do i need to buy the pH cleaner AND the conditioner?

2. do you suggest that i leave my car outside in the heat while the conditioner cures?

3. tire cleaning, can i use simple green on my tires to clean them prior to tire dressings? how much do you guys dilute it?

4. is it okay if the simple green gets on my wheels? or should i be spraying it on my wheels too?

5. if not simple green, what do you guys suggest for wheel cleaners? i like the type of cleaners that you spray on and it loosens the dirt so i can just spray it off...its a pain cleaning my LS mesh wheels on my integra haha

6. how would you guys compare armor all tire spray to meguiars hot shine tire spray? i only have access to OTC products..walmart mainly lol. i prefer the wettest looking tire and the longest lasting wetness.

7. tire dressings again, can i layer my tire dressings? or would that be pointless?

6. exhaust cleaning...my muffler is getting really dirty and all black and disgusting, how should i clean it? is there a way i can polish it?

7. last question for now, kinda dumb, but how am i supposed to reach the wheel wells in a mesh wheel? LOL
Old 06-19-09, 05:37 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

1. No. The conditioner will not penetrate the urethane coating and it will only wind up making your leather tacky or slightly oily which attracts and holds dirt and dust faster.

2. I don't subscribe to conditioning of coated leathers. Use a protectant instead like Leather Masters. This is like a sealant for leathers as opposed to an oily conditioner. The protection will dry and not hold dirt and dust.

3. Simple green has been known to react with some metals like aluminum. If your wheels are painted a diluted (1:6) SG may be ok on the rubber but then again it will likely remove any wax or sealant you have on your wheels. I'd recommend using car wash soap and a stiff brush or a low pressure (1300-1800 psi) pressure washer on the tires.

4. Most wheels are painted and if so they should be treated just like your car's painted surfaces. Keep them sealed and brake dust will not be a problem.

5. I use Meguiar's Quik Wheel Detailer on my wheels. It leaves them very slick and much easier to keep clean. I seal the wheels a couple times a year with NXT 2.0 and use the QWD after every wash. Also using a dedicated gentle wheel brush should make your wheel cleaning much easier.

6. Meguiar's Hot Shine will last longer and yield a better sheen, IMO. Apply an even coat and let it dry for a shiny look or wipe it down after a few minutes for a softer patina. Pay particular attention to removing excess product from the tire sipes (groves) to avoid sling.

7 Not advisable to layer tire dressing as it will tend to get all over the side of your car when it slings. Apply one coat to a clean tire and it will last longer and look better. Pay particular attention to making sure your tires are clean first.

6. (second 6) Go after this with a scrub brush an then decide how much effort you want to put in to it's appearance. If it's not painted, use a metal polish and a polishing pad if you want it shiny.

7. (second 7) Use a brush or pressure washer. take care not to use a pressure washer that is over 2000 psi or you could cause damage.

Last edited by jfelbab; 06-19-09 at 05:42 AM.
Old 06-19-09, 05:16 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm going to borrow your thread.

Do you guys dilute the Optimum Power Clean to clean chrome wheels and tire, if so, how much?

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 06-19-09 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-19-09, 08:37 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by butterbeer
2. do you suggest that i leave my car outside in the heat while the conditioner cures?

Not necessary. Thats a common technique to use w/ leatherique rejuvinator oil though

3. tire cleaning, can i use simple green on my tires to clean them prior to tire dressings? how much do you guys dilute it?

4. is it okay if the simple green gets on my wheels? or should i be spraying it on my wheels too?

5. if not simple green, what do you guys suggest for wheel cleaners? i like the type of cleaners that you spray on and it loosens the dirt so i can just spray it off...its a pain cleaning my LS mesh wheels on my integra haha

For wheel cleaners, I'd recommend either CG Sticky Wheel Gel or P21s Wheel Gel. You can go w/ something stronger like spray n rinse, but its a pretty stout cleaner, so be careful w/ using it straight. As mentioned though, be careful w/ sg on some metals

Then just Apply some wheel sealant and cleaning them w/ just soapy water should be sufficient.

6. how would you guys compare armor all tire spray to meguiars hot shine tire spray? i only have access to OTC products..walmart mainly lol. i prefer the wettest looking tire and the longest lasting wetness.

7. tire dressings again, can i layer my tire dressings? or would that be pointless?

I've layered bold n bright w/o having any slinging. I guess it'll depend on which product you're using though. I've never felt the need to layer optibond tire gel so I dont know how that would react, and similarly, havent used those megs dressings. However, their hyper dressing can be diluted or used straight to vary the gloss, reducing the necessity to layer

6. exhaust cleaning...my muffler is getting really dirty and all black and disgusting, how should i clean it? is there a way i can polish it?

You can give it a cleaning w/ an all purpose cleaner then follow up w/ a metal polish That should be enough to keep it pretty clean. If you wanted a high polished look, it'll require some additional work that can be pretty time consuming

7. last question for now, kinda dumb, but how am i supposed to reach the wheel wells in a mesh wheel? LOL

Not sure if you meant the wheel wells or the inner barrel of the wheel. Only reason being, b/c the wheel design shouldnt effect how to clean the wheel well. If its the inner barrel you want to clean, the ez detail brush should have no problem fitting through the wheel and cleaning the inside portion of the wheel. Its the only brush that i've found to fit in very tight spokes.
Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I'm going to borrow your thread.

Do you guys dilute the Optimum Power Clean to clean chrome wheels and tire, if so, how much?
I have my bottle of power clean diluted almost 1:1 and it still works very well at that ratio