Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Engine shine with Tire Foam

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-09 | 10:08 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Default Engine shine with Tire Foam

Can any negative issues occur using Tire Foam on the engine.. Last weekend i used Tire Foam just to shine the engine up and sprayed it everywhere. Can this Damage anything? The car drove fine on Monday but yesterday i replaced the battery due to not starting and the car sitting on and off for 3 years. I'm not sure if the Tire Foam contributes to the battery issues but today when the car is in drive it has a rough idle for some reason. Could this be the computer learning the new battery or do i need to clean the TB? Granted i haven't cleaned that in a very long time probably 3 years..

I usually use a rag with silicone to shine the engine up but wanted to try something new...

Thanks

Tony
Old 06-20-09 | 11:56 AM
jfelbab

Many tire shine products are very oily and usually don't dry. If that is on your engine then you can expect a lot of dirt and dust to collect and stick to that oily surface. Depending on the product used, this could make your engine look dirty faster than ever.

As to running rough... If this stuff is causing an electrical leakage that is possible I guess. I'd wipe down the electricals with an old microfiber dampened with water and see if that helps. Look for any puddling of this stuff around the electrical connections and plugs/plug wires, etc. It is also possible that this stuff got into your air intake and could be clogging it up. Might effect the fuel mixture and make for rough running.
Old 06-20-09 | 03:42 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

I agree w/ Jim. May not be great on belts if its not a "dry" product, and yea, can actually cause some accumulation of dust/dirt a little quicker.
But yea, I wouldnt say there was a high risk in using this and resulting in any damage, but anything is possible I suppose. I would guess coincidence, but as mentioned, try wiping everything down. Was the sputtering/rough drive there before you replaced the battery? I've never heard of a car having to "learn" a battery. Try giving the tb a cleaning like you suggested. I would treat these as independent issues, so go through a regular tune up type process to resolve the idle/drive. clean the air filter/tb, plugs if they havent been done in a while, etc etc.
Old 06-20-09 | 06:00 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Thanks guys for the reply.. I just finished cleaning the TB and MAF... The car idles high do to the TB and MAF cleaning until the ECU relearns itself.. I wiped everything down as best i could. The rough idle was there after i had charged the battery a few times yesterday and was not there last week? I will drive for a few days and see what happens..

Thanks

Tony
Old 06-20-09 | 06:03 PM
EScrow
Driver School Candidate

I've used Tire foam in the past with good results. If you see alot of dust, just wipe it off or better yet, used compressed air and blow it off.
Old 06-21-09 | 06:30 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Many tire shine products are very oily and usually don't dry. If that is on your engine then you can expect a lot of dirt and dust to collect and stick to that oily surface. Depending on the product used, this could make your engine look dirty faster than ever.

As to running rough... If this stuff is causing an electrical leakage that is possible I guess. I'd wipe down the electricals with an old microfiber dampened with water and see if that helps. Look for any puddling of this stuff around the electrical connections and plugs/plug wires, etc. It is also possible that this stuff got into your air intake and could be clogging it up. Might effect the fuel mixture and make for rough running.
Well i do have a open K&N filter on the car so maybe some got onto it. Yesterday i did the MAF and TB cleaning.. Car is running better and quicker but i'll find out more today about the idling. I will also wipe everything down just to be safe.
Old 06-21-09 | 07:56 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EScrow
I've used Tire foam in the past with good results. If you see alot of dust, just wipe it off or better yet, used compressed air and blow it off.
Do not use armorall though it'll make it turn brown afterwards..
You could use an all purpose cleaner like MegsAPC+ it leaves the plastics shiny.
Old 06-21-09 | 08:46 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
Do not use armorall though it'll make it turn brown afterwards..
You could use an all purpose cleaner like MegsAPC+ it leaves the plastics shiny.
Unfortually i did use the Armorall foam. Thats all i had. I usually use a silcone spray on a rag and wipe it down...