Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Bee poop etched paint! How can i fix it? I've tried........

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-09, 02:15 AM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bee poop etched paint! How can i fix it? I've tried........

Well as the title said it appears bee poop as etched/stained the clear coat on my brothers car. He's pretty confident it's bee poop as the area where he lives and parks has a bad bee problem.

Products tried: Clay,Zaino Z-5, SIP and Rejuvinator. (SIP and Rejuvinator
applied with P.C)
Results= slick surface with visable etching.

Any suggestions on product and/or technique would be great.

Thanks,
ken
Old 06-21-09, 02:49 AM
GangsterGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it might be worth a shot, but use a bounce sheet with some water and work in a small circle. it works for me. goodluck
Old 06-21-09, 06:06 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

if its etching like bird bombs then you most likely have to do a little wet sanding.
Old 06-21-09, 06:27 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

To remove etching you need to remove the surrounding paint. To do this you need a fairly aggressive compound or maybe even wetsanding. I'd give Ultimate Compound (OTC) via a PC a try first. Finish up with ScratchX or SIP.

If that fails then see a pro experienced in major paint correction.
Old 06-21-09, 12:07 PM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jfelbab
To remove etching you need to remove the surrounding paint. To do this you need a fairly aggressive compound or maybe even wetsanding. I'd give Ultimate Compound (OTC) via a PC a try first. Finish up with ScratchX or SIP.

If that fails then see a pro experienced in major paint correction.
What pad(s) would you suggest for that application?
Old 06-21-09, 01:17 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by rs/ss
What pad(s) would you suggest for that application?
If using a PC, I'd start with a polishing pad and see what UC does with the paint. If after a couple passes the marring remains I'd try moving up to a cutting pad. Almost certainly, the cutting pad and UC will leave some hazing which will need a followup with a milder polish and pad.

Work a test area of about a 18" square to see how effective the combo is before moving on.

Some paints are hard and others are softer. You therefore should start with the least aggressive product/pad combo first and only move to more aggressive pads and polishes if needed.
Old 06-21-09, 07:58 PM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jfelbab
If using a PC, I'd start with a polishing pad and see what UC does with the paint. If after a couple passes the marring remains I'd try moving up to a cutting pad. Almost certainly, the cutting pad and UC will leave some hazing which will need a followup with a milder polish and pad.

Work a test area of about a 18" square to see how effective the combo is before moving on.

Some paints are hard and others are softer. You therefore should start with the least aggressive product/pad combo first and only move to more aggressive pads and polishes if needed.
Thanks Jim,
I just refered to the L.C pad chart and my pad choice was wrong too. Its a new Honda. Would that be considered hard paint? Looks like i need to get some orange and yellow pads.
Old 06-21-09, 08:32 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by rs/ss
Thanks Jim,
I just refered to the L.C pad chart and my pad choice was wrong too. Its a new Honda. Would that be considered hard paint? Looks like i need to get some orange and yellow pads.
My experience with late model Hondas is that their clearcoat is pretty soft.
Old 06-21-09, 08:48 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Maybe you should try claying? Some hard sprinkler water etched the paint on my hood. I first tried buffing it off with polish followed by wax, and it didn't come off. Then I used Clay Magic on it.....worked like a charm.
Old 06-22-09, 01:24 AM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Little E
Maybe you should try claying? Some hard sprinkler water etched the paint on my hood. I first tried buffing it off with polish followed by wax, and it didn't come off. Then I used Clay Magic on it.....worked like a charm.
Thanks for the suggestion but i did try it and it didn't work.
Old 06-22-09, 06:52 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you please take a picture for us of the damage in as clear a shot as you can manage? That would help many of us out more than just thinking about it and blurting out random suggestions lol
Old 06-23-09, 08:51 PM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Can you please take a picture for us of the damage in as clear a shot as you can manage? That would help many of us out more than just thinking about it and blurting out random suggestions lol
Yes i'm sure it would help but i don't have the car. I didn't think of posting my experiance untill the car had gone. Sorry I wasn't thinking.
Old 06-23-09, 11:17 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh no worries. Just post when it comes back haha
Old 06-24-09, 12:17 AM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

For me personally, on my own cars, I would just deal with it rather than chasing after perfection. Although there have been many cars that I have worked on where the customer has wanted the paint to be perfect. The reason why I would just deal with it because chasing after perfection reduces the level of clearcoat. There might not be anything terrible about that, but I would rather have as much clearcoat as possible on a daily driven/attacked by elements car. If it was a showcar then that would be a different story.
Old 06-26-09, 11:44 AM
Soloboy197
Driver School Candidate

Default Bug etched paint

I have found a solution that works. Buff the area several times with Turtlewax clearcoat buffing compound. Then wax area with your normal wax. If that doesn't work, NuFinish Scratch Remover works well.