Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Exterior care?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-02 | 08:16 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

ape907 - I hear ya. Most of the concours guys I know mix up their own formulations of wax and I think they are still less expensive than Zaino. For the time being I am a supporter of Zaino but I don't think I qualify as a fanatic. I am AD/DC on polymers. The early stuff (twenty years ago) did have problems but I think the modern polymers, like Zaino, are very good with little down side and no damage to the paint. There are waxes that can provide as good or maybe even better shine than Zaino with not a lot more effort involved and they give excellent protection. Just like oil changes, unless you have a hangar queen, we probably benefit more from frequent applications, at least to the top of the hood, roof, and trunk where the junk from the atmosphere settles out, than anything. I also like the ability to put a "glow" in with the carnubas. Most carnubas have other things in them that will color or tint them. Griot has a pink color, Zymol has generally a bluish tint, etc. The pink or red color really makes blues rich and the bluish tint worked very well on some silver cars I had, the yellow Mequairs actually worked very well on a red MR2. I think that where we are getting is that while there are several competitive protectants, no one has a silver bullet yet for low cost, ease of application, and durability. At least if we keep talking about it and anyone finds it, we will all know.
Old 04-06-02 | 01:55 PM
ape907
Driver School Candidate

Quick Update: I just checked waxdepot.com and you can no longer order the Wax Shop polish and wax products by the gallon - the best bulk discount offered now is by the case which is around $90 + s/h. Buying it by the gallon was a steal and I am glad I got in on it when it was available.

Josh
Old 04-06-02 | 02:06 PM
ape907
Driver School Candidate

RON430: Forgot to ask you this in last post; what would you recommend for a medium cut polishing compound for a "once neglected" 1994 SC with factory black paint job? Today I was out in garage for over 8 hours with random orbital buffer and Wax Shop Safe Cut polish and after 3 coats I was very happy with results on sides of the SC but I think the hood/roof/trunk all still have a ways to go. The previous owner serviced the car religiously but had no clue when it came to maintaining the exterior. This is the first car I have come up against that Safe Cut is not able to 100% fix the neglect on.

I can still see what looks like "spotting" on hood/roof/trunk. I have read on this site that the early 90's black paint jobs are single stage with no clear - any advice or product recommendation would be great. The Wax Shop has scaled back their product offerings and no longer has a "medium cut" polish that is more abrasive than Safe Cut.

I am taking delivery of 18" wheel/tire pkg this Tuesday and I really want to get the exterior "up to snuff" to match the new wheels. Thanks in advance for your advice - I am stumped right now after bragging up how great my techniques were!

Josh