Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cleaning/Maintaining Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 09:37 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

OTC - Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. Or known brand: 303 Aerospace Protectant
Old 08-21-09, 11:36 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlt23
I use Poorboy's Natural Look. Love the smell too.
Same here the best out there!!!!!!!!
I dont like shine on the dash. Use 5:1 alcohol with water and whipe it down trust me it works very well and will not harm the dash. I didnt want to do it, sounds crazy but it works great and just use the pooryboys after.
Old 08-22-09, 06:49 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer on the dash. Leaves bsolutely no glare and no oily or slippery feel, just a new look. This product has UVA and UVB protectors so no worry about premature aging. It is also nearly odorless. I use this on all the interior, including the NAV screen.

If you want a slightly glossier sheen, Meguiar's Natural Shine gives that. If you want a lot of gloss then Meguiar's Supreme Shine is your product. Most of these products are widely available at Target, WalMart and almost all automotive parts suppliers.

FWIW, Both Natural Shine and Supreme Shine work great on rubber including tires. Very versatile.
Old 08-22-09, 06:50 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Bully
Same here the best out there!!!!!!!!
I dont like shine on the dash. Use 5:1 alcohol with water and whipe it down trust me it works very well and will not harm the dash. I didnt want to do it, sounds crazy but it works great and just use the pooryboys after.
Agree! Natural Look is an awesome product! I have to admit though, its tough to choose between that, 303 aerospace and optimum's leather protectant. The advantage (for some) of Natural look is the scent as the other two dont have any (which some also prefer)
Old 08-23-09, 09:53 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input. I have an order out for Aerospace 303 and it should be arriving any day now. I'll try it out and provide an update......
Old 08-25-09, 11:40 AM
97CE LS400
Rookie

Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer
Works great with no greasy mess.
Old 08-27-09, 01:51 PM
09IS350
Driver School Candidate

Great thread, just what I was looking for!!!

Ima noob when it comes to cars and maintaining them.

I just bought a NEW '09 IS350 black/black two weeks ago so i want to take care of my baby!

Noob question:
I'm leaning more towards the 303 aerospace but is it safe to use on the NAV screen?
Old 08-27-09, 05:39 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 09IS350
Great thread, just what I was looking for!!!

Ima noob when it comes to cars and maintaining them.

I just bought a NEW '09 IS350 black/black two weeks ago so i want to take care of my baby!

Noob question:
I'm leaning more towards the 303 aerospace but is it safe to use on the NAV screen?
imo, 303 Aerospace is the way to go.

As for the nav screen, I probably wouldnt use it there. It shouldnt harm the screen, I just think theres better options. Instead, I would go with either diluted Optimum No Rinse or just a damp microfiber towel w/ distilled water.
Old 08-28-09, 03:59 AM
pickle
Rookie

I hit the nav screen with the same microfiber I just washed the interior windows with. It has some residual window cleaner (sprayway in this case) but I do not add any more to the cloth. Comes out fine. I have tried 303 aerospace on the nav screen, and it just leaves a streaky mess.
Old 08-28-09, 06:40 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
imo, 303 Aerospace is the way to go.

As for the nav screen, I probably wouldnt use it there. It shouldnt harm the screen, I just think theres better options. Instead, I would go with either diluted Optimum No Rinse or just a damp microfiber towel w/ distilled water.
chris, i am a big fan of 303 but i have a question for you - what do you use to apply it? i use a clean mf towel each time, but i feel like that the mf towel actual removes some the spray, causing to have to respray that area of the dash. any suggestions? thanks!
Old 08-31-09, 12:29 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just use a semi-moist Absorber to wipe down my dash, interior windows, and door panels for the most part. (I use Lexol when it needs it). Works great for normal wear and dust accumulation.

I heard that Armor-All is too alcoholic and dulls or fades car interiors after substantial exposure and time. I actually used Armor-All interior detailing wipes for my 98 4thGen Maxima for a couple years and I noticed a slow dulling effect from black to dary grey. This forced me to apply the Armor-All more frequently, as this "greying" only happened once the Armor-All "glaze" dried off. Obviously, I did not want to experiment with this phenomenon on the Lex.

I haven't had any problems as to date w/ the Lex procedure, but since I already own a couple bottles of Meguiar's Quik Detailer, I'ma try it out and see if it makes a noticeable difference.
Old 08-31-09, 05:08 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by varcity64
chris, i am a big fan of 303 but i have a question for you - what do you use to apply it? i use a clean mf towel each time, but i feel like that the mf towel actual removes some the spray, causing to have to respray that area of the dash. any suggestions? thanks!
I use either a microfiber towel or a mega mitt. I dont think theres much you can do really. After the first pass or so, the towel should even have some on there and shouldnt really be removing it.
Old 08-31-09, 06:02 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
I just use a semi-moist Absorber to wipe down my dash, interior windows, and door panels for the most part. (I use Lexol when it needs it). Works great for normal wear and dust accumulation.

I heard that Armor-All is too alcoholic and dulls or fades car interiors after substantial exposure and time. I actually used Armor-All interior detailing wipes for my 98 4thGen Maxima for a couple years and I noticed a slow dulling effect from black to dary grey. This forced me to apply the Armor-All more frequently, as this "greying" only happened once the Armor-All "glaze" dried off. Obviously, I did not want to experiment with this phenomenon on the Lex.

I haven't had any problems as to date w/ the Lex procedure, but since I already own a couple bottles of Meguiar's Quik Detailer, I'ma try it out and see if it makes a noticeable difference.
Just a note to be sure you are not confusing Meguiar's Quik Detailer (QD) with their Quik Interior Detailer (QID). THese are two different products intended for two very different purposes.

QD QID
Old 08-31-09, 09:39 AM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recommend Aerospace 303
Old 08-31-09, 10:53 AM
twixx007
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I also use Meguiar's wipes. Leaves a matte finish and protects pretty good.