Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

when should i wax my car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-09, 05:53 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
*gasps* There's a lot of misinformation here. 4-6 weeks for waxing is too much. A good coat of wax should last at least twice that time. Anything more and you are thinning the clearcoat and wasting time. About 4 times a year is all that's needed. An honest detailer should tell you the same.
The key to extending the intervals is avoid washing your car. This process ruins the finish and strips off the wax. Instead, wipe down your car weekly with a clean, damp rag and keep the hose, soap, and harsh sponges away.
Your are right about one thing. Lots of misinformation here.

• Wax duration depends on the wax and the environment the car is in. It can last from a month to over 4 months depending on the wax and the environment.

• Waxing does not thin your clear coat.

• The key to long lasting durability is to keep your car clean. Wash using the proper technique and materials. Not washing a dirty car only makes the contamination harder to remove and easier to cause swirls.

• Wiping down a dirty car with a damp rag is about the worst advice I've heard on this forum.

One good way to tell if your wax has expired is to do the squeak test. After washing and drying your car take a clean white 100% cotton terry cloth towel and press it up against your paint. Twist it whill applying pressure and listen for a squeak. If you hear it, the wax is gone. If you don't, it's still there. You can also rely on water beading but that is not a good indicator of protection. Some products are designed to sheet water and not bead.

Typically I do a full detail of my vehicles 2-3 times a year and use a sealant for my protection or LSP (Last Step Product). I use a Quik Wax spray after every wash to maintain the slickness and gloss in-between full details. Keeping the paint slick means the dirt doesn't get a chance to bond to the surface making it much easier to remove and not instill swirls.

Last edited by jfelbab; 07-10-09 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-10-09, 10:35 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

^ Listen to the guru...
Old 07-10-09, 10:54 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

*gasps* There's a lot of misinformation here. 4-6 weeks for waxing is too much. A good coat of wax should last at least twice that time. Anything more and you are thinning the clearcoat and wasting time. About 4 times a year is all that's needed. An honest detailer should tell you the same.
The key to extending the intervals is avoid washing your car. This process ruins the finish and strips off the wax. Instead, wipe down your car weekly with a clean, damp rag and keep the hose, soap, and harsh sponges away.
How does wax thin the clearcoat? Most carnauba waxes are harmless. Over applying is just wasting the product. Polishing every 4-6 weeks would cause harm to the paint, but not waxing it (with the exception of cleaner wax).

The problem with asking questions like this no products have the same results, so everyone's response is based on what they feel is necessary with the products they use. There seems to be different definitions of what waxing the car is in this thread. My definition of waxing is applying a LSP (Last Step Product) either a carnauba wax or a paint sealant.

This thread reminds me I should wax my SC. Its been like a year or more...hah
Old 07-11-09, 03:58 AM
Kevin.IS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There isn't a specific date or time that you're suppose to wax your car. I do it probably 4 times a year so depending on how you like to treat your car.
Old 07-13-09, 12:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
^ Listen to the guru...
Will do, if only the real guru will stand up.
Old 07-13-09, 02:13 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i waxed a few day ago n its silky smooth now

just wondering tho.. i wash my car with a karcher 1800 psi + foam cannon.. would the foam strip my LSP?? im using either mig gold class... or turtle ice wash.
Old 07-13-09, 02:14 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
i waxed a few day ago n its silky smooth now

just wondering tho.. i wash my car with a karcher 1800 psi + foam cannon.. would the foam strip my LSP?? im using either mig gold class... or turtle ice wash.
It depends on the dilution ratio of your soap, but if you're going all out foam then yeah...it is probably stripping the wax.
Old 07-13-09, 03:42 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

hmm i see... i guess ill put more water than soap now..
Old 07-13-09, 07:48 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

It'll depend on the soap as well. A product like Citrus Wash n Gloss can strip wax if not diluted enough, however, a more ph neutral soap like Super Slick n Suds doesnt run the same risk.
Old 07-13-09, 07:52 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

oh yes.. that citrus wash works wonders for stripping LSP.. haha good thing i have a jug for detailing
Old 07-22-09, 10:02 PM
Dogmeat
Driver

I wax usually every 2 or 3 months. Depending on how the water beads. I went product crazy before so I might as well use it! :P
Old 07-23-09, 06:58 AM
Isblue
Pole Position

Originally Posted by montgb
I'm one of those guys who loves to wax the car. It's not a chore if it's fun!
x2... ill wax it once a week if i have nothing to do lol
Old 07-23-09, 07:06 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would say depends on where you live and if salt in the air is an issue. More often if it is, and less if it aint. I would clay it, then polish it, then wax it, some sort of flint glaze wax. Its hard to put on, but it last up to 6 months or so. In between washes buy some Eagle One, Meguiers, etc... Rapid wax or quick detailer.. Just my opinion...
Old 07-23-09, 07:42 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is probably one of the WORST posts in this thread. Please pay it no mind. I would have responded to it, but everything below is dead on:

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Your are right about one thing. Lots of misinformation here.

• Wax duration depends on the wax and the environment the car is in. It can last from a month to over 4 months depending on the wax and the environment.

• Waxing does not thin your clear coat.

• The key to long lasting durability is to keep your car clean. Wash using the proper technique and materials. Not washing a dirty car only makes the contamination harder to remove and easier to cause swirls.

• Wiping down a dirty car with a damp rag is about the worst advice I've heard on this forum.

One good way to tell if your wax has expired is to do the squeak test. After washing and drying your car take a clean white 100% cotton terry cloth towel and press it up against your paint. Twist it whill applying pressure and listen for a squeak. If you hear it, the wax is gone. If you don't, it's still there. You can also rely on water beading but that is not a good indicator of protection. Some products are designed to sheet water and not bead.

Typically I do a full detail of my vehicles 2-3 times a year and use a sealant for my protection or LSP (Last Step Product). I use a Quik Wax spray after every wash to maintain the slickness and gloss in-between full details. Keeping the paint slick means the dirt doesn't get a chance to bond to the surface making it much easier to remove and not instill swirls.
I will personally add a sealant to a car twice a year (after each FULL detail) and top it with a carnuba and put a fresh layer of wax about once a month
Old 07-23-09, 10:50 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

I say wax your car every month for top notch.

Quick Reply: when should i wax my car?