Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Removing the aftermath of a clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 10:46 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing the aftermath of a clear bra?

So I recently pulled off the clear bra from my SC. It left behind a lot of residue. Someone recommended Goo Gone which I bought. It worked wheel for the adhesives on the front bumper, but the adhesives on the hood won't come off unless I use Goo Gone and take a fingernail to it. But I can't do that to the whole section of the hood. I think it's stuck on tougher because over the years, the hot sun heated the metal of the hood up a lot more than the bumper.

Is there something better out there that I can use? Is 3M better? thanks

Pic of the unsightly goo..

Old 07-23-09, 07:00 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would try using some sort of solvent that dissolves quickly. You can check Wal-Mart, or any body shop to see what they use. I have used mineral spirits before and body solvent for several years. If this is no luck, try using gasoline in moderate consideration. I know it sounds crazy, but it also dissolves, but its potent. Whatever you choose, clay it or cut it with some cutting compound, then polish it, then wax it!
Old 07-23-09, 12:36 PM
pickle
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use kerosine rather than gasoline due to flamability. Also, be prepared to wash it right after to neutralize anything left on the paint. Follow up with clay, and polish, and a good coat of wax. Remember, don't put the kerosine in a styrofoam cup to hold it while you are cleaning. (don't ask, it was all I had at the time!)
Old 07-23-09, 01:14 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Gasoline and kerosene are pretty harsh methods of dealing with paint. I'd stick with what you're already doing. Add some heat to soften the adhesive and then apply goo gone. Take your time with it since there is no quick way to do it. If you've debadged a car before its basically the same method.
Old 07-23-09, 03:32 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
I would try using some sort of solvent that dissolves quickly. You can check Wal-Mart, or any body shop to see what they use. I have used mineral spirits before and body solvent for several years. If this is no luck, try using gasoline in moderate consideration. I know it sounds crazy, but it also dissolves, but its potent. Whatever you choose, clay it or cut it with some cutting compound, then polish it, then wax it!
I actually tried gasoline before, goo gone works better though. Thanks for your advice

Originally Posted by pickle
Use kerosine rather than gasoline due to flamability. Also, be prepared to wash it right after to neutralize anything left on the paint. Follow up with clay, and polish, and a good coat of wax. Remember, don't put the kerosine in a styrofoam cup to hold it while you are cleaning. (don't ask, it was all I had at the time!)
I don't think I have kerosine on hand , but thanks for the tip

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Gasoline and kerosene are pretty harsh methods of dealing with paint. I'd stick with what you're already doing. Add some heat to soften the adhesive and then apply goo gone. Take your time with it since there is no quick way to do it. If you've debadged a car before its basically the same method.
Yea I think I'll end up doing thing. I'll probably go by the 3M remover and see how that works.

Thanks again guys
Old 07-23-09, 05:22 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by SCboy
Yea I think I'll end up doing thing. I'll probably go by the 3M remover and see how that works.

Thanks again guys
If you get really impatient apply goo gone and use a porter cable with an old pad to take it off. My friend used my stuff to take off some double sided tape on his evo when I left him alone in my garage. It really messes up the pad though, so that is why I say use an old pad.
Old 07-23-09, 09:18 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Information at 3M website:
Q. How is Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film removed?
A. If desired, film can be removed at any time by picking up a corner of the film and pulling the film off the vehicle surface at a 90-degree angle. If the film has been present a long time, or if the film and vehicle are cold, a heat gun or hair dryer may be used to soften the adhesive, allowing easier removal. If any adhesive remains on the vehicle after removal of the film, it can be removed by using 3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (3M Part #08984), according to the package directions.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...s/#maintenance
Old 07-24-09, 05:14 AM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

3m adhesive remover will do the trick as well.

make sure you wash/polish/wax the car after.
Old 07-24-09, 09:09 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

NO problem... Glad I could help out somehow or another. Let us know what you actually used and if it worked or not.
Old 07-25-09, 09:21 PM
Motil10108
Driver

Not exactly sure here, but i read on another thread that Purple Power might do the trick on some of this gunk. Make sure you dilute and neutralize afterwards. I hope some of the other members can chime in on the PP stuff. I wanted to run out and buy some too for those gunky messes, plus it's pretty cheap stuff.
Old 07-28-09, 09:59 AM
Olskool53
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Phil@DD
3m adhesive remover will do the trick as well.

make sure you wash/polish/wax the car after.
+1 Great advise!
Old 07-30-09, 03:49 PM
scooter58
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SCboy
So I recently pulled off the clear bra from my SC. It left behind a lot of residue. Someone recommended Goo Gone which I bought. It worked wheel for the adhesives on the front bumper, but the adhesives on the hood won't come off unless I use Goo Gone and take a fingernail to it. But I can't do that to the whole section of the hood. I think it's stuck on tougher because over the years, the hot sun heated the metal of the hood up a lot more than the bumper.

Is there something better out there that I can use? Is 3M better? thanks

Pic of the unsightly goo..

just buy a new hood..

LOL...

i just use goo gone and a blow dryer..
and good ol' elbow grease.

make sure u polish/wax it after..

Good luck,
post some pics wen your done
Old 08-30-12, 05:45 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I just had a shop remove all the clear bra off of my car (2007 GS), including the films on the headlights and fogs. Everything worked out fine except after removing the piece on the headlight, the shop owner ran into some trouble, he couldn't remove the residue on it.... I was told that the glue residue was bonded into the headlight and they also put a 2 inch scratch into the headlight plastic cover from trying to remove the residue.... I asked if they can polish them out and was told that that was what they've been trying to do. He is going to bring a plastic film installer in tomorrow to see if they can put a new piece of film on the headlight and hide it. Do any of you have ran into problems like this? What's the best thing for me to do right now? Thanks!
Old 09-05-12, 01:52 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

If they're a reputable shop then they should be able to remove the scratch regardless of how "deep" it is. If anything they can round out the scratch. Sounds to me like they don't know what they're doing so just have them cover it again with another film. Might be safer that way