Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Wooden Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 02:49 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Bump! I need to know what is wrong with Pledge, if anything. I don't want to go out one morning and have my wheel crack off in my hands
1. Pledge contains silicone oils ergo it will make your steering wheel slippery. Not a good thing in an emergency situation. You don't think this is true spray a bit on your tile floor and walk around on it in stocking feet and see if you still think it is not slippery. BE VERY CAREFUL.

2. Looking at the Pledge MSDS there are many things that are not particularly friendly to polyurethane (the wood and leather clear coat) or your health.

Specifically,
Propane 000074-98-6 1-5%
Isobutane 000075-28-5 1-5%
Butane 000106-97-8 1-5%
Polydimethylsiloxanes (Silicon oil) 063148-62-9 5-10%
Naphtha, petroleum, light alkylate 064741-66-8 5-10%

I don't think I ever read that any of these chemicals was particularly beneficial to automative trim or leather, have you? I have seen that some of these chemicals can cause softening of the clear coat or even cause cracking and degradation of leather.

I'd rather use a product like QID to clean and protect. But that's just my opinion, use what ever you like.

You should also be aware that for at least a couple more years, Pledge will continue to contain phthalates, chemicals that interfere with the hormone system and have been linked to genital abnormalities in newborn boys.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...cjohnson_N.htm

My opinion, worth what you paid for it.
Old 07-27-09, 03:12 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim, thanks for the insight! I really appreciate it.

You mention that using a quick interior detailer is better- what brand do you guys use? I have some of the Meguiars interior wipes- would those work?
Old 07-27-09, 04:42 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Jim, thanks for the insight! I really appreciate it.

You mention that using a quick interior detailer is better- what brand do you guys use? I have some of the Meguiars interior wipes- would those work?
I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. You could also use a gentle liquid detergent and water with a mf to wipe up the wheel. If you use a detergent, be sure to wipe it down with a clean, wrung out, MF to remove all traces of the detergent when you finish cleaning it.

For protection, many people like 303 Aerospace Protectant. I dislike the smell. Smells like old gym shoes to me. Doesn't linger but I just hate the smell. The Meg's QID has UV protection so that's all I need.

The most important thing you can do for your steering wheel is the same thing you can do for your leather and your paint... Keep it clean. I clean my steering wheel more often than my leather seats as it gets dirtier due to oils and dirt transfer from my hands. I wipe it clean weekly. It takes all of 5 minutes.

There are probably a lot of other cleaners that will work well too. I just happen to like the Meg's QID. I especially like this product for the dash too as it doesn't add any gloss or glare. It just leaves a new look.
Old 07-28-09, 12:04 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. You could also use a gentle liquid detergent and water with a mf to wipe up the wheel. If you use a detergent, be sure to wipe it down with a clean, wrung out, MF to remove all traces of the detergent when you finish cleaning it.

For protection, many people like 303 Aerospace Protectant. I dislike the smell. Smells like old gym shoes to me. Doesn't linger but I just hate the smell. The Meg's QID has UV protection so that's all I need.

The most important thing you can do for your steering wheel is the same thing you can do for your leather and your paint... Keep it clean. I clean my steering wheel more often than my leather seats as it gets dirtier due to oils and dirt transfer from my hands. I wipe it clean weekly. It takes all of 5 minutes.

There are probably a lot of other cleaners that will work well too. I just happen to like the Meg's QID. I especially like this product for the dash too as it doesn't add any gloss or glare. It just leaves a new look.
You are 100% correct. The best thing one can do with any interior part is to keep it clean. I too wipe mine down once a week (clean, damp cloth) and there is never any heavy build up of anything that can harm the surfaces. This is even more important for leather, but applies to wood and plastic too. I would not put Pledge on any surface. You don't want to add a chemical that could break down materials or cause a slippery surface (safety #1).