Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Fav. Clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 04:40 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Mother's once and will not use it again. I'll look to use another product.
Old 09-30-09, 10:32 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems clay magic is the winner in this thread. Trying to figure out where to buy from now. Seems one of clublexus.com's vendors has it, but just the bar - the Poorboy's Spray & Wipe is recommended as the clay bar lubricant and quick detailer. Claymagic's website (claymagic.net) sells a kit w/ a bottle of clay lube, but I can use any detailer right? I'm washing cars with a friend of mine this weekend and he wanted me to pick up a quickdetailer. I was going to grab the Meguiar's G14422 Ultimate Quick Detailer.

Also, any other supplies I should get for just the clay bar portion of the car cleaning?
Old 09-30-09, 10:55 AM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just use a hose, have constant trickling of water to get the surface wet, and clay the panels... as long as you got an agent that will keep the surface lubricated.. and clay magic invented the stuff and patented it so it is the real deal..
Old 09-30-09, 11:10 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahryar
Seems clay magic is the winner in this thread. Trying to figure out where to buy from now. Seems one of clublexus.com's vendors has it, but just the bar - the Poorboy's Spray & Wipe is recommended as the clay bar lubricant and quick detailer. Claymagic's website (claymagic.net) sells a kit w/ a bottle of clay lube, but I can use any detailer right? I'm washing cars with a friend of mine this weekend and he wanted me to pick up a quickdetailer. I was going to grab the Meguiar's G14422 Ultimate Quick Detailer.

Also, any other supplies I should get for just the clay bar portion of the car cleaning?
UQD is not intended as a lubricant for clay. It is too slippery and causes the clay to not work. Just use any manufacturers quik detailer but not the UQD.

As far as clay goes, it's almost all made by CM under their patents anyway. Only slight differences in the various grades of clay but the OTC stuff is almost identical, color not withstanding.

You should use a clay lube and water is not a good lube. Plain water is not as slick as the lube and many have reported water caused their clay to disintegrate.

Water is also often not as pure and may contain bits of iron (rust) or other contaminants that could scratch paint if caught up in the clay. Well water and muni water in older city plumbing are not always that free of sediment. If you have a sediment filter in your home plumbing you know what I'm talking about here. QD is cheap and safe. Water... maybe not so much.
Old 09-30-09, 12:49 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

For a great value on a quality clay bar and the Poorboy's World Spray and Wipe I HIGHLY recommend you look at the DI Packages DI Clay Bar and Clay Lube Combo. It's a great lube and clay bar that will help you get the results you are looking for a great price. If you would still like the Clay Magic Fine Grade Clay Bar - 200 g we have that as well. You can see all of our clay bars and clay lubes at this link if desired. Let me know if you need any additional information or recommendations.

Greg @ DI
Old 09-30-09, 04:29 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by beez43
i just use a hose, have constant trickling of water to get the surface wet, and clay the panels... as long as you got an agent that will keep the surface lubricated.. and clay magic invented the stuff and patented it so it is the real deal..
CM is also keeping the US from using the good stuff. Trust me when I say Riccardo blows it out of the water

Also, if you must use running water, take a look at Bilt Hauber Clay (I think its how you spell it...). It uses no lube other than water since it was designed for just that. Another great clay NOT sold locally in the US
Old 09-30-09, 08:56 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg@DI
For a great value on a quality clay bar and the Poorboy's World Spray and Wipe I HIGHLY recommend you look at the DI Packages DI Clay Bar and Clay Lube Combo. It's a great lube and clay bar that will help you get the results you are looking for a great price. If you would still like the Clay Magic Fine Grade Clay Bar - 200 g we have that as well. You can see all of our clay bars and clay lubes at this link if desired. Let me know if you need any additional information or recommendations.

Greg @ DI
Greg, since I'm hearing the most about clay magic, I'd rather play it safe and go with that. When I get more familiar with clay bars, then I'll give yours a shot so I can know for myself what is better.

Of the clay Lubes you offer, I'd like to hear your thoughts (And from others of course) on what's good - otherwise, I'll just go with the cheapest Poorboy's World Spray & Wipe (S&W) - 16 oz for $8.99 and finalize the package. (just a heads- I'm in debate between buying from you or directly from clay magic just because they have a smaller and cheaper bar (100g) in a package w/ 12. oz of clay lube. This is my first experience w/ a clay bar so I'm not sure I want to get so much yet)

Originally Posted by jfelbab
UQD is not intended as a lubricant for clay. It is too slippery and causes the clay to not work. Just use any manufacturers quik detailer but not the UQD.

ok, so if I'm going with clay lube for this. Would I need the UQD for anything else? Is it still something worth buying to hold onto? (Sorry for the detailing 101 question)

Last edited by Shahryar; 09-30-09 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-30-09, 09:08 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

...ok, so if I'm going with clay lube for this. Would I need the UQD for anything else? Is it still something worth buying to hold onto?
Sure, it's a nice Quik Detailer, intended for removal of dust and fingerprints, it also makes water fly off the paint like RainX does for your glass.

It is not a wax or protectant but it's intent is to remove light dust and fingerprints when you car is not all that dirty that it needs a wash.
Old 10-01-09, 11:59 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Greg, since I'm hearing the most about clay magic, I'd rather play it safe and go with that. When I get more familiar with clay bars, then I'll give yours a shot so I can know for myself what is better.

Of the clay Lubes you offer, I'd like to hear your thoughts (And from others of course) on what's good - otherwise, I'll just go with the cheapest Poorboy's World Spray & Wipe (S&W) - 16 oz for $8.99 and finalize the package. (just a heads- I'm in debate between buying from you or directly from clay magic just because they have a smaller and cheaper bar (100g) in a package w/ 12. oz of clay lube. This is my first experience w/ a clay bar so I'm not sure I want to get so much yet)
I understand the desire to play it safe but our bar is made by the same mfg of Clay Magic so they should be virtually the same in terms of safety and performance. Additionally our DI Accessories Gentle Fine Grade Clay - 180 g just went on sale, regularly $17.99 now just $12.99. I just wanted to share that in case you were interested but certainly you will not be disappointed with the Clay Magic Fine Grade Clay Bar - 200 g.

Honestly every clay lube we carry on our site is outstanding, which is why I decided to pick them up. The Poorboy's World Spray & Wipe (S&W) - 16 oz is staple in my routine and a product I always use. The only other product that might be a better performer and value is the Dodo Juice Born Slippy Clay Lube Concentrate - 250 ml. It's about 8oz but it can be mixed at a 10:1 ratio of water to lube so you can make over 80 ounces from one bottle. I usually recommend this product and our DI Accessories Pump Spray Bottle - 4 oz.

Don't forget we offer 10% off regular priced items with the coupon code 10offCL. We also have our Pre-Columbus Day special where you save 20% on orders over $100 with the coupon code Columbus09 (offer expires at midnight on 10/6). Let me know if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help.

Greg @ DI