Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Purpose of "working in" a wax?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-09, 09:52 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Purpose of "working in" a wax?

I was waxing my car this morning and started to wonder why do you need to work a wax in? does this make the wax adhere to your paint better? i know the saying, less is more when it comes to wax since the excess will only be wiped off, but why do we need to work a wax in? for some strange reason, i feel like if i didnt work it in all the way and just left a thicker layer and wiped off the excess after, this would be better. needless to say, i still worked the wax in until it wasnt really visible (i have a white car) and removed it, but i was just wondering. let me know, thanks
Old 08-02-09, 11:00 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Because you want the wax to get into any pores otherwise you're not effectively covering the paint.

I guess it's like painting a wall. One swipe wont really cover as much as if you were to do it repeatedly until the paint gets into all the little pockets.
Old 08-02-09, 02:23 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 118 Likes on 88 Posts

You are not suppose to work in the wax. Just apply it thin even layer with a foam applicator. When they say work it, as in work it so it could become thin and will even out. More is not better, it's less with even applications. You are only suppose work it in with polishes not waxes. Hope that helps.
Old 08-03-09, 12:40 AM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For wax, it is supposed to be applied in a thin, even layer across each panel. Too much will make it a pain to remove, a nice spread across the panel is good. Just like how you would put peanut butter on a bread.

Once the wax is applied, let it dry to a haze and you will see it sort of harden itself. It is not recommended to wax in the sun, so let the wax dry in a shaded area (carport or garage). After the wax has dried, remove the wax by buffing and wiping off any wax residue. After that, it is crucial that the wax is allowed to set in, meaning it should not come into contact with water for at least 24 hours. This is best to wax the car in the day, leave it in the garage overnight, and drive it the next day.

You somewhat work the wax in by applying pressure to the car's body. The main reason for doing that is because many waxes have polymers that have a number of functions. Some waxes are formulated to fix hairline scratches and blemishes on the paint. Some are designed to remove airborne contaminants that stick to the vehicle, including industrial fallouts, bird droppings, water marks, etc. Some incorporate a polish formula that leaves a nice shine to the paint.

It is important not to wax to often. Waxing too often will cause a "buildup" of wax, meaning layers and layers of excessive wax. A way around it is to prep the surface if you feel like waxing the car more often. That said, you could remove the current layer of wax, start from scratch, and apply a new coat of wax. This can be achieved with dishwashing soap/detergent because they, by nature, strip wax. That is also why it is NEVER recommended to wash the car with dish-soap, although some still do and neglect their paint job.

Detailing can get quite complicated, feel free to PM if you have questions.

Hope this help you clarify!
Old 08-04-09, 11:19 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carnauba type waxes are applied differently than synthetic sealants. Which type of LSP (last step product) are you using? You should follow the instructions on the bottle, every product works slight differently, as they all differ in forumlation.
Old 08-04-09, 11:37 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 118 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by KI_GSE21

It is important not to wax to often. Waxing too often will cause a "buildup" of wax, meaning layers and layers of excessive wax. A way around it is to prep the surface if you feel like waxing the car more often. That said, you could remove the current layer of wax, start from scratch, and apply a new coat of wax. This can be achieved with dishwashing soap/detergent because they, by nature, strip wax. That is also why it is NEVER recommended to wash the car with dish-soap, although some still do and neglect their paint job.

Detailing can get quite complicated, feel free to PM if you have questions.

Hope this help you clarify!

I'm confused. I wax my car every 2 weeks and I don't see any build-up? And what do you exactly mean by build-up?
Old 08-05-09, 07:18 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

The thing about wax is that it is applied with a solvent carrier. This re-application will re-dissolve the old wax coating and leave you with a new thin coat.

This is not the same with some sealants however. Some sealants, like Zaino for example, just continue to build, coat after coat. So if you have some surface contamination embedded and you reapply the sealant, you will just coat the contaminants. It is really advisable to strip these products a few times a year. That's what paint cleaners are made for. You should remember though that the coating of wax/sealant you apply is extremely thin. Waxing every week or two will do no harm.

You really cannot layer wax. You can only get a film build from a few sealants. NXT 2.0, a popular sealant for example, does not build layer after layer. Wax, even pure wax products will not build layers.
Old 08-06-09, 08:53 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I'm confused. I wax my car every 2 weeks
Two week intervals is too much.
Old 08-06-09, 06:08 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Two week intervals is too much.
Why is that?^^ I also wax about every two weeks and never seen any problems with my paint. It looks in prime condition.
Old 08-07-09, 09:10 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

You shouldn't run into any problems but I think every two weeks is overkill even if you use a synthetic/polymer or carnauba type wax.
Old 08-07-09, 09:24 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Yeah I see your point, but my paint has been good to me. I should have added more details on what I actually do and that is:

Every three weeks or so I wash, clay, wash and add the Meguire's Gold Class liquid wax. In between I always use the Meguire's quick spray. I've been doing this for years (on previous cars) and never had issues with paint. I think my MSM looks great!

Last edited by sway162; 08-07-09 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-10-09, 09:25 PM
Motil10108
Driver

[IMG]https://www.clublexus.com/forums/members/sway162-albums-my-05-is-

That looks very nice
Old 08-11-09, 12:03 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motil10108

That looks very nice
Thanks!
Old 08-13-09, 10:32 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

sway162, you are very devoted in detailing your car. I wish I had that time and motivation to detail my car that often. Detailing a car is a lot of work and you should be proud of yourself. Your car has a lucky owner
Old 08-14-09, 08:35 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KI_GSE21
sway162, you are very devoted in detailing your car. I wish I had that time and motivation to detail my car that often. Detailing a car is a lot of work and you should be proud of yourself. Your car has a lucky owner
Thanks for the compliment KI. Now, wait till the winter time though...that's when I need the motivation and time to detail because it rains every day here!

Quick Reply: Purpose of "working in" a wax?