Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leather protectant!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-09, 09:01 PM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather protectant!!

Hello guys!
Have a is350 with black interior and 2 days old! I want to retain the leather as new as possible. I've been hearing good reviews on Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil. Also, I been seeing a lot of good reivews on the UV protectant like the 303 Aerospace Protectant that designed to help block UV rays from your leather, rubber, vinyl, and plastic surfaces. Has anyone experienced them in and applied to there leather. I have ventillated seats with holes on my is350 so would these compounds get stuck in the hole? Are these products strong enough to remove the color on the leather. Thanks!
Old 08-08-09, 09:04 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i use 303 aereospace
Old 08-08-09, 10:48 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend going w/ the Prestine Clean from Leatherique. Your leather isnt old enough to warrant using the rejuvinator oil yet. If you're concerned w/ the perforations in the leather, you can spray the prestine clean on to a microfiber towel first, then wipe the seat down. Leatherique products are very safe for leather, so you dont have to worry about them removing any dyes. Prestine Clean can be used as your maintenance product, so you can apply it as often as you'd like really, although I dont think its really necessary to do more than once a month.
Old 08-08-09, 11:27 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found that Leather Masters is a much better project than Leatherique. It took out a lot more dirt and made the leather feel better than Leatherique. I found that I used less than 1oz for the entire leather interior of my RX330. Its pricey but its worth it. Its best for people who hate the sticky feeling Leatherique tends to have sometimes...
Old 08-09-09, 06:34 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Another one here for Leather Masters. I used the vital oil on my leather and boy did it soften up a few things . Need to get myself some cleaner though, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one from Leather Masters.
Old 08-09-09, 07:06 AM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used leather masters in my car and not lookin back the best stuff ive used to date!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-09, 07:10 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default My Leather Care opinion

To keep your leather looking good for many years you need to concentrate on keeping it clean. That is the single most important step you can take to keep your leather looking like new.

In some ways your leather is like your paint. Protected leather is covered with a urethane coating. I've never found one of the conditioners that will penetrate the urethane of protected leather, just like no paint glaze will penetrate the clear coat of your paint to get to and nourish the base coat.

When cleaning your paint you use a detergent and you rinse all of the detergent off. The same is required of your coated leather. When you clean with a detergent you need to pay particular attention to removing the detergent. To do this I use some damp (wrung out) microfiber towels. After cleaning I wipe up the residue with a damp mf and rinse with another clean damp mf then buff dry with a dry mf.

Following cleaning, I let the leather air dry for 15 minutes then I add a protector. I use the LM Protection Cream. Unlike most conditioners that leave a slippery or tacky, grabby surface that will attract and hold onto dirt and dust, the protection cream leaves a dry and silky smooth feel to the leather. This protection cream is not a conditioner.

Your leathers wear the most when they are dirty. I clean and protect my leather every month or two and I wipe it down with a mf dampened with Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer weekly to remove any dust or dirt and add UVA and UVB protection.
Old 08-09-09, 10:42 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Does Meguiars Quik interior Detailer clogs vented seats?
Old 08-09-09, 10:52 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Does Meguiars Quik interior Detailer clogs vented seats?
No, it is a very thin, clear, nearly odorless liquid. I spray it on a microfiber towel and wipe up the dash, vinyl and leather. It does not leave any gloss so there is no issue with glare on the dash.