Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Noob help: buying Porter Cable question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 09:30 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob help: buying Porter Cable question

I'm a noob at car detailing but would like to try it out on my Obsidian 10RX. The car is 1 month old and hardly have any swirls, but will need some waxing soon. I'd like to tackle this myself.

So far I bought Zanio brothers kit 1 and Leatherique's Pristine Clean and Rejuvinator Oil. I have these now, and just need a random orbiter to apply the wax/coatings. I hear the Flex is the best out there, but I just couldn't justify the price considering I'm a newbie and I wont be using it as often as I won't have the time to with 2 small kids.

I'm about to order the Porter Cable 7424XP Starter Kit from Detailed Image and was wondering if anyone has experience purchasing from this vendor.

Here's the kit.

Also what would you suggest in terms of pads I need? Is the selection from the kit good enough for a beginner or should I order more of any specific ones?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-09, 09:37 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Personally, I prefer the 5.5" pads on the PC. Additionally, I only use a purple foamed wool pad on the rotary. The most common pads you'll most likely use will be the orange, white and black pad. Hope this helps!
Old 08-10-09, 09:53 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chris@GlimmerGlass
Personally, I prefer the 5.5" pads on the PC. Additionally, I only use a purple foamed wool pad on the rotary. The most common pads you'll most likely use will be the orange, white and black pad. Hope this helps!
sent you a PM
Old 08-10-09, 11:46 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Replied
Old 08-11-09, 10:46 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have order from detailed image on many occasions with absolutely NO ISSUES. they are a great vendor. They are actually running a special until August 16 on the porter cable and some accesories. In addition, our other vendors are excellent as well. I have used GlimmerGlass and Detailers Domain with 110% satisfaction. imo, we have some of the BEST vendors and they are always stopping by to help and answer questions. good luck with your purchase
Old 08-11-09, 11:24 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUS
I'm a noob at car detailing but would like to try it out on my Obsidian 10RX. The car is 1 month old and hardly have any swirls, but will need some waxing soon. I'd like to tackle this myself.

So far I bought Zanio brothers kit 1 and Leatherique's Pristine Clean and Rejuvinator Oil. I have these now, and just need a random orbiter to apply the wax/coatings. I hear the Flex is the best out there, but I just couldn't justify the price considering I'm a newbie and I wont be using it as often as I won't have the time to with 2 small kids.

I'm about to order the Porter Cable 7424XP Starter Kit from Detailed Image and was wondering if anyone has experience purchasing from this vendor.

Here's the kit.

Also what would you suggest in terms of pads I need? Is the selection from the kit good enough for a beginner or should I order more of any specific ones?

Thanks in advance!
Thank you for looking at our business for your detailing needs. We take pride in helping our customers select the products for them and at a great value. We have virtually everything in stock and ready to ship out in one business day or less.

Glad to hear you are ready to purchase a Porter Cable 7424 XP. It's a great tool that can really help you and your detailing efforts! It's safe and easy to use for first time detailers and it saves you time and energy. I'm happy you already started to look at our DI Packages. We feel we have some tremendous value in those packages. We also offer the 4" pad kits if you are interested. The smaller pads help you get a little more cutting power with this buffer, if desired.

The specific pads I would recommend would depend on what specific products you are using. Here is a brief guideline of the most common pads used with different types of products to help you with:

Yellow/Purple - Heavy Cutting Polishes
Orange - Medium Cutting Polishes
Green - Medium to Light Polishes
White - Light Polishes, Paintwork Cleansers, AIO
Black - Glazes
Blue - Sealants and Liquid Waxes

SAVE BIG
We are also running a big special this week with our buffers and buffer kits. You can select from our specials so you can receive FREE S/H or FREE Pads or FREE Backing Plate! You can choose, just check out the sales we have going on during our 2nd Annual Buffer Week.

If you have any other questions please let me know I'd be happy to help.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 08-11-09, 12:30 PM
DOUS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Greg@DI
Thank you for looking at our business for your detailing needs. We take pride in helping our customers select the products for them and at a great value. We have virtually everything in stock and ready to ship out in one business day or less.

Glad to hear you are ready to purchase a Porter Cable 7424 XP. It's a great tool that can really help you and your detailing efforts! It's safe and easy to use for first time detailers and it saves you time and energy. I'm happy you already started to look at our DI Packages. We feel we have some tremendous value in those packages. We also offer the 4" pad kits if you are interested. The smaller pads help you get a little more cutting power with this buffer, if desired.

The specific pads I would recommend would depend on what specific products you are using. Here is a brief guideline of the most common pads used with different types of products to help you with:

Yellow/Purple - Heavy Cutting Polishes
Orange - Medium Cutting Polishes
Green - Medium to Light Polishes
White - Light Polishes, Paintwork Cleansers, AIO
Black - Glazes
Blue - Sealants and Liquid Waxes

SAVE BIG
We are also running a big special this week with our buffers and buffer kits. You can select from our specials so you can receive FREE S/H or FREE Pads or FREE Backing Plate! You can choose, just check out the sales we have going on during our 2nd Annual Buffer Week.

If you have any other questions please let me know I'd be happy to help.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Thanks Greg! Everyone's right at saying we have great and helpful vendors here. I'm trying to figure out what I need best and who has the best value.

I'm in Ontario, Canada so the free shipping will not apply. I'm getting overwhelmed and will need to do some more reading/asking.

Here's what I'm planning on doing. Please correct me if I'm messing up as I'm so new to this and have never done it before.

1. conditioned interior leather with Leatherique products (pristine clean and rejuvinator oil)
2. wash exterior with blue original downy. dry
3. clay using z-18 claybar (not on clear bra)
4. use Z5PRO to remove swirls or PCXP with Meg105 (this is my confusion)
5. wash with Z-7. dry
6. z-6 gloss enhancer
7. zfx

Thanks!
Old 08-12-09, 11:34 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUS
Thanks Greg! Everyone's right at saying we have great and helpful vendors here. I'm trying to figure out what I need best and who has the best value.

I'm in Ontario, Canada so the free shipping will not apply. I'm getting overwhelmed and will need to do some more reading/asking.

Here's what I'm planning on doing. Please correct me if I'm messing up as I'm so new to this and have never done it before.

1. conditioned interior leather with Leatherique products (pristine clean and rejuvinator oil)
2. wash exterior with blue original downy. dry
3. clay using z-18 claybar (not on clear bra)
4. use Z5PRO to remove swirls or PCXP with Meg105 (this is my confusion)
5. wash with Z-7. dry
6. z-6 gloss enhancer
7. zfx

Thanks!
Thank you for the messages and I understand this can be a bit overwhelming. I encourage you to take your time and read over our Detailing Guide.
1.) Great combination of products. Make sure you read our Detailing Guide for the Leatherique specific application guide. The application process is critical to getting the most out of those quality products.

2.) I have not heard of Downy being used for washing a car, but maybe I'm not thinking of the right product. If you need to look at another shampoo we have an extensive list at that link.

3.) Sounds like you have the clay bar down.

4.) I typically polish with a medium and light polish combination to remove the swirls. Often times people who try just a light polish are disappointed they did not get the medium polish. Even if your paint is brand new and totally fine I recommended using a medium polish. My preferred combination is the Menzerna PO83 or Menzerna PO203S (medium polishes) and followed by the Menzerna PO106FA (light polish).

5.) You don't have to wash after using a polish, although it certainly doesn't hurt. I would prefer to wipe the paint down with an IPA or the Menzerna Top Inspection. It will remove any residue left behind by the polishes and give your sealant the maximum ability to bond to the paint.

6. and 7.) I'm a little confused at this selection from my understanding of the Zaino products. The Z6 is a gloss enhancing spray while the ZFX helps sealants and waxes cure faster for bonding purposes. However I don't really see a sealant or wax in this routine. I would highly recommend using a sealant and or wax combination like the Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 (sealant) followed by the Chemical Guys 50/50 (wax). There are tons of combos, this is just one of my favorites. This would give you a lot more protection and shine in my opinion.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI