Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Pressure washers

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 04:48 AM
Al-Taweel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressure washers

Hey guys, I was wondering whether it is safe to use a pressure washer to wash the car or is it better just to stick to the traditional method. I was interested in the pressure washer because i believe it would save me some time when washing the car. If it is safe i would love to get some suggestions on good pressure washers.

Thank you
Old 08-11-09, 11:44 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

You can use them. Just try to keep the wand a few feet from the surface. Most seem to go w/ Karcher and you can purchase foam wand/attachments for your washing and foaming desires
Old 08-11-09, 08:43 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+2 to what Chris said. If you would like to see some of the foam Chris is talking about, search "foam cannon" and you'll see my thread
Old 08-12-09, 06:47 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

After using several electric models I can offer my experience with them. You have, at best, about a 50/50 chance of getting a good unit. I went through several and it is an aggravating experience until you get one that works. Google pressure washers and read the comments and you will see that my experience with the inexpensive electric models is fairly common. As a group the inexpensive electric models are cheaply made and have little QC. In one recent purchase I bought PowerWasher 1800 that was DOA. They sent repair parts three weeks after the purchase and it still didn't work so I returned it.

So why did I buy another electric model? Well, I have too many gasoline toys and tools to winterize and maintain now. I like the convenience of the electric models and they have just the power I want. I strongly suggest whichever model you buy that you also consider an extended warranty. A warranty that will replace the unit if/when it fails.

I have finally purchased one that works to my satisfaction...so far. It is the Husky H2000 I bought from Home Depot. It comes with a three year warranty, has two onboard soap tanks and three pressure settings. I put Car Wash soap in one tank and APC in another.

I switch to the APC tank and spray the wheel wells and then back to the car wash soap and lay down a nice foamy film over the car to presoak. Snap it to medium pressure and rinse. Back to the car wash soap to foam it again and I do a hand wash then rinse.

It does a great job, saves a little time and effort and the pressure is not anything that I have to worry about causing damage. Be sure to thoroughly rinse out the tanks and lines when you finish and store it where it will not see freezing temperatures.

Last edited by jfelbab; 08-12-09 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-13-09, 04:35 PM
Al-Taweel
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys for the suggestions