Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Does clay bar remove sealant? wax?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-09, 08:57 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does clay bar remove sealant? wax?

Preface: I've gone through the entire zaino treatment (dawn, claybar, zpc, zaio, z5, z2, etc). It looks pretty good and it was very smooth after I finished. Fast forward a few weeks, and after my last car wash I noticed the surface feels rough, which leads to my question.

Does a clay bar remove the zaino sealant? How about a wax like nxt2.0?

My research has found different answers, so I'd appreciate any information you can offer.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 08-23-09, 09:47 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

really good question. i know you shouldnt use a clay bar unless you have removed LSP's (sealants, waxes, glazes) but im not sure if the clay bar will remove the LSP's. im interested to find out also. and another thing.. your paint feels "rough" a few weeks after using the zaino sealant? never used zaino products, but if thats the case, that sucks. sealant should last longer than a few weeks. maybe you should look into better stuff? personally, i have used Chemical Guys JetSeal and love it. and if you decide to buy it within the next week from our vendor, Detailed Image, you can get it for 25% less.
Old 08-24-09, 06:55 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Clay doesn't remove a sealant as much as it degrades it. That is to say it removes much of the sealant but not all and it does this in irregular areas.

If you goal was to remove all of a sealant, clay would not be your best choice, a paint cleaner would be better.

If you goal is to remove the roughness you feel and none of the sealant then clay would not do that. You can't clay without degrading your sealant.

If you want to fix the roughness you will need to clay and reseal.

How often this process is necessary directly depends on the environment the car is subjected to.
Old 08-24-09, 11:11 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I will just re-wash my car.

I think it's normal for debris to get stuck in the car. I mean you can go 60+mph and hit particles of dirt and expect some of it to get embedded into the sealant. I was thinking I could use a clay bar to remove the imperfections, but I don't think it's worth risking removing the sealant (or wax).
Old 08-24-09, 11:23 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Another source for this contamination I recently encountered. I was driving down I-94 in Wisconsin, following a semi and started to notice a few small spots appear on my windshield. When I finally arrived at my destination I found that these spots were numerous, had dried and were to be bonded to the paint and glass. Washing wouldn't remove them. I had just completed a full detail on this vehicle prior to taking that trip and was really POed.

I suspect that this was unburned diesel and it baked on in the hot sun. I had to clay and reseal when I returned home. I just can't stand to drive a dirty car. LOL

That said, claying the car only takes about an hour and resealing another hour so It's not like I had to polish the car again.