Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Zaino V Meguiar's

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-09, 06:35 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Zaino V Meguiar's

I just bought some Zaino and haven't used it yet but I've heard great results and testimonials from people everywhere.

This morning I was doing some more reading and came accross this independent non-bias article and thought it would be good to share.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/gheumann/zaino_test/
Old 08-25-09, 09:00 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

In some ways he is right in his test. With all the sealants out there most people will barely or won't be able to see any real difference between them once properly applied to a car. The only difference I have noticed is between a car with a couple layers of a good carnuba vs a layer of a sealant. I never expected Zaino to make my car or other cars "look" drastically different then other sealants and most fans and reviewers do not seem to say it made a huge difference in look. The main thing with Zaino is how long and good it protects and lasts and how it looks and protects a few weeks to months after applying. That is where Zaino is far superior then Meguiars and I have personally tried and seen the difference.

One of the biggest flaws with this test and the tester is he has not polished the swirl and scratch marks out of his finish and is expecting just some sealant to hide them. At best you can only somewhat dull/fill in very minor swirls/scratches with a sealant and it will not last all that long. If the guy has a $90K black Porsche 911 and cares about its finish he should at least invest in having a pro polish it or have a PC and do it himself before applying a sealant.

His other biggest flaw is he is going by mainly looks alone right after applying which you don't buy sealants just for looks, you buy them for level and longevity of protection which is where Zaino and most other boutique products greatly excel over Megs Gold Class. I can tell you right now most owners are not going to notice a difference in looks from Megs Gold Class/NXT to Zaino but you will notice a difference in protection a few weeks/months down the line.

I have used Gold Class and normally got around 2-3 weeks protection/slickness from it and that was pretty much it. I used NXT and got 2-4 week sand the beading or slickness for both did not seem all that impressive. With Zaino I normally get 2-3 months with better beading and slickness and with cars not outside or driven as much I have got 4-5 months of good beading slickness with Zaino, If I maintain with Z8 spray I get 6-8 months before I repeat the process. I get similar results with Colonite 476S and Jeff Werkstatt. After a few weeks the finish does look better with Zaino on it compared to Meguiars.

The article is correct in one way that you will not notice much if any difference in looks between the two from the same car after you apply it but that is true for just about all sealants, the Zaino will last and protect much longer then Meguiars and that is the sealants main purpose, if you want better looks then apply a couple layers of Carnuba after the sealant but in most cases except for Colonite the Carnuba will not offer anywhere near the level or longevity of protection as a sealant. The guy really should have polished the swirls/scratches out with a orbital or rotary instead of trying to rely on a sealant to hide them and he is missing the main point of longevity and only focusing on looks.